Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Finally got my 'new' LS into Miles, my mechanic, today for some work. Main jobs included welding the Y section of the exhaust which has resulted in a return to the wonderfully silent whoosh that we all know and love so well.

Other bits of work including fitting two part worn Falken tyres that I'd picked up on eBay, getting the alignment sorted (it was well off), stripping and reseting the parking brake and solving the mystery of the permanently on parking brake light (which, as we all know, is (and was) caused by a faulty bulb!).

So, car will be having a good clean over the weekend ready for the Christmas holiday. After Christmas, I'm going to get some of the other jobs done, including the cam belt and water pump. I'll also get some of the minor body work stuff sorted.

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy Christmas and peaceful, and blissfully Lexus-style quiet, New Year! :)

• Like 2

Well done, Jonathan, and I have made a mental note of a faulty bulb causing the parking brake light to be permanently on, as I didn't know this.

Best wishes to all for Christmas and the New Year.

Colin

Well done Jonathan ................ rear offside stop light bulb was it ?

Malc

Precisely Malc!

The welding also got rid of an annoying buzzing noise around 1100 - 1200 revs. It was the casing of the exhaust. The previous 'repairer' had only attached it at one end (hence the buzzing). Miles sorted that and, hey presto, no buzzing! It really is a smooth and quiet ride now. Happy days.

• Like 1

Happy Xmas to you and everybody else too.

Now, be honest, doesn't a little bit of you miss that V8 burble?

I have the same fault on mine, but because it sounds so nice when you drop it down a couple of gears and boot it, I keep putting it off.

No. Voice of authority (LJK Setright!)

"In a first class car, I'd no more expect to hear the engine than to hear the plumbing in a first-clas hotel" !!

This in article in 'Car', April '95 on the difference between the Ser 2 + 3 LS400! Was just re-reading it in the bath!

(No book on the go....)

My neighbour used to love 'not-hearing' my car go past him in the village, he said!

I have the same fault on mine, but because it sounds so nice when you drop it down a couple of gears and boot it, I keep putting it off.

But sadly it will soon develop into an actual MOT failure if it's not fixed, might take a year or two BUT it does detrimentally affect the emissions reading eventually.

Malc

Dont think there's anything better than when you have been driving for a couple of days with a blow in the exhaust, then you get it fixed and then back to peace and silence.

Always remember coming out of noisy nightclubs in my youth, thinking my car was running really well, because I couldn't hear a thing

I always drive mine in PWR mode .................. someone a while back said that the petrol consumption was no worse for being on PWR .... and I think I agree although really don't bother worrying anymore about how much fuel I use .... i just fill up when the old lady hits the orange.

Malc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year to all.

Thanks to Jonathan for starting this thread, and everyone else's input helped me save time and money.

yesterday parking brake warning light came on, straight to my mechanic "pads were ok when I looked a couple of months ago says he" whilst looking around at brakes with his light. Will have to bring it in soon for pads check.

So off I go light on dash blinding me

Once home Start looking for best place to get discs and pads, wow what a difference in prices and some seem to have about 20 holes in for different fitments can these be safe?

Started checking Loc for fitting tutorial and came across this thread, and as of this morning light is off. It was my nearside stop light bulb. But a question if anyone knows the answer the bulb is a dual element and only serves the brake light, do both elements get used, if so only one was broken so why did it not work

Yes I also have the V8 Burble it does sound good, when I looked under it seemed to come from by the y piece but could not be precise as the pipes are enclosed inside another casing.

Thanks guys

Brian

Thanks Jonathan

Much appreciated to you and all others who take time to post how to's and solutions. I do have a few jobs to do but nothing major as yet.

Putting off looking for the fuses in the footwell (cig lighter) just the thoughts of twisting myself upside down to get in there, but will do one day.

Thanks

Brian

Exhaust burble / emissions leak for MOT purposes, is often cured with a simple and inexpensive welding job by someone who knows how to do it ........ cost me about £30 a couple of years ago and been fine since.

The rear offside stop light only seems to last about 17 years too .............. a recurring issue, expecting my next one to need replacing in about 2030 :whistling:

( it really is only the offside bulb that goes too, maybe a design fault, tut tut Lexus )

Malc

Malc

it was my nearside that blew, but I did buy a spare so I am ready for the offside.

couldn't believe how easy to replace the bulb.

does anyone know why the bulb is twin filament when it only serves the stop light?

MOT due next month, but I don't think my blow on the exhaust is enough to fail it

when under the car only by holding my hand close to the outer casing can I feel a slight

leak of exhaust

Brian

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links