Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Condensation Inside Car

Hey guys I'm wondering if someone can help me work out what's going on inside my car... I'm getting a lot of condensation inside... I thought maybe due to past days been cold that it was the reason.. Today Ive drive. 20miles into Edinburgh.. It's only been an hour since the car has been parked yet all my windows are steamed up and I'm looking at 11 other cars are none of them have any condensation!! What's going on?? I've double checked all the windows and they are shut, pretty sure all the door seals are intact.. Problem has only started a couple of weeks ago.

post-32321-0-90922400-1419102252_thumb.j

post-32321-0-25605600-1419102275_thumb.j

IsNewbie: Nothing wet in the car at all, have double checked the floor and mats all bone dry.

Normski2: AC is always on, never switched off.

Vintagesixtysix: lol yeah that was a good joke ;)

So as I left Edinburgh again I double checked all windows again, had a quick look at all door seals including boot, ensured air was set to flow from outside instead of recirculate (which its was on when I went to Edinburgh) put temp down to a milder 21 degrees, and at one point opened the rear door window for a about 1 min to clear the rear window... Parked car up, was fine after 30mins... Will check again in about 45 mins time.

Interestingly this seems to come up every year, and always at about this time. My wife has had her car for about 8 years, and every single year she gets very bad condensation, to the point that it can run down the windscreen. It lasts for about 3 weeks and then doesn't return! The same has happened to my cars, always the same time of the year, always goes after 3 or 4 weeks. I've noticed many other cars doing the same thing. BTW, non of our cars leak or have wet things left in them.

Why it happens I have no idea. It'll be interesting to know if your problem stops in the next couple of weeks or so. Any scientists out there want to explain this?

Maybe im one of the lucky ones - have never experienced any condensation in the car (YET !)

I very rarely use the air con (don't really like them - much prefer a sunroof) but I do know it will clear your screen when misted up etc.

I have my "air flow" always set to have have air coming in from the outside and again very rarely use the re-circulation mode (unless passing farms!!)

There is another button on the dash - looks like a pollen filter button, Other than the obvious, what does that do?

Maybe - long shot - your filter needs changing (glove box cabin filter) maybe its clogged or even wet/damp?

When I park up and turn the engine off, I hear after a short time, a noise coming from that area as if there is a vent closing ... I have always thought that this was something to do with the cabin being "sealed" from the outside air elements ... maybe wrong. Do you hear this with yours?

Joking apart.....when I changed my pollen filter for the first time after buying mine....I was surprised to find half a forest in there!....it was all bone dry leaf matter etc. you could hear the fan very faintly clicking against the odd bit (like a stick against a bicycle wheel....exaggerated example) when turning the engine off....and fan decelerates.

Could it be that there is some kind of a combination with the filter or filtered matter absorbing moisture ....and as the weather changes turning up the cars heater causes moist warm air...which will condense as the car cools down??....disappearing over a short time as the filter dries out?...therefore never pinning it down to seals or wet umbrellas etc.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

When was last time u changed ur pollen filter could b dirty that can cause it I had same problem on my is220d changed polling filter @ never get condensation now it's easy to change it should change pollen filter once a yr. Also leave button on air from outside .

I always leave the heating in auto, which leaves the air con on, it helps as it recirculates through the thingy (can't remember the name) but it keeps the condensation away

If I turn mine off the car steams up

Don't think the air con runs when its cold anyway buts good for a quick demist as well

Well it's not going to be the pollen filter as the car had a full service in October and that was changed out.

Touch wood the car had been fine since last night.. I made sure it was set to flow air from outside before turning the car off.. I'm pretty sure its been on recirculate for the last couple of times the car had condensation... Normally I wouldn't be to fussed about condensation but when your surrounded by 11-12 cars and none of them have any then it becomes embarrassing lol

My faith has been restored lol :)

Check the footwell carpets aren't wet as that is a common cause of condensation. Every time you get in the car in wet weather or after washing the outside you are putting quite a lot of moisture down there and it takes a while with the heater on hot and directed down to remove it.

Guest bigbullhead

Women and heaters in cars lol I never have mine much above 20 in the winter and my missus would happily sit there at 28

She maybe that's the issue lol overheating to a sweat box lol

• 3 weeks later...

On a previous cars had it and was more down to recirculation setting and aircon... but never in the lexus - have to say this one demists superfast! Get the aircon checked out and probably check seals etc

It looks like it's been run in recirculation mode and parked. Run it with fresh air intake in the minutes prior to parking it and this problem will disappear, it's fairly normal with recirculated air, since warm air can carry so much moisture.