Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Live Socket For Dash Cam

I have just bought a dash cam and is says It can also be used to record any contact when parked but it must have a live connection when the key is switched off or taken out. It usually slots in to the cig lighter or one of the other power points but I don't think they are live when the ignition is off. Can anyone tell me how to make one of these power points live all the time.

Regards

Thanks, yes I understand there is a fitting that copies the cig lighter socket and this connects to any live connection with a fuse and then you just plug in to that.

Thanks very much have a Happy new year

I understand your concerns however the dash cam has the ability to record if someone hits your car when parked. The wire would not be visible and the camera will be inline with the rear view mirror. It could cover when parked in a supermarket car park, I seem to have gained several scratches and dents while at the supermarket and you can't take it down each time you park, only at night when the car is in my drive. Thanks for the heads up.

Happy New Year

Obviously, this is only going to help if they hit the front of your car ;)

Also, what do you plan to do with the footage? You'll have to go to the police to track the culprit and I would doubt they'll be prepared to prosecute. You'll have to go through the hassle of a small claims court to get any compensation and there is the thorny issue of how legal the footage from a dash cam is.

Definitely useful for a more serious accident, to prove your version of events but not sure how helpful it will be for a car park scenario.

Why so negative, if something helps to protect your property why wouldn't you try to follow up with it. I think you will find it is a criminal act to leave the scene of an accident. OK it's not perfect but I don't know about you but I am a little sick and tired of people treating my property with disrespect and if necessary I would pursue them through the small claims court because if they keep on getting away with this sort of behaviour where will it end.

Regards and Happy New Year

Not negative, just realistic. I'm going through the small claims court process now and its a slow, laborious and soul-destroying process. If you seriously want to do that for every car park scratch, good luck to you ;)

I think you will find these cameras are mainly for insurance use in the event of an accident, the additional ability for parking incidents is optional. I have actually used the SCC myself and I understand where you are coming from and I wish you all the luck but I didn't intend to use it for every "car park scratch". I have to mention last year while in a supermarket car park we returned to our car to meet a young man and girl waiting; claiming we had hit their car. I knew we hadn't for the simple reason I have parking sensors and they didn't sound, It turned out to be a scam, had we had a dash camera it would have been a lot easier to prove, a little like the whiplash scam which is so prevalent now. Some times justice is sweet. Please no more replies I think this has run it's course.

Regards