Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Further Thoughts On 'no Spare Wheel'

Knowing that the IS30h has no spare wheel, it was/is my intention to get me a spacesaver, for more peace of mind.

I think that I have read somewhere on the forum that a couple of members have already purchased one and so I have a couple of questions please for those of you who have made such a purchase.

Did you buy it from a dealer, and what do they cost. I seem to remember that someone got one and it came with a nice outer cover.

Secondly, as there is no spare wheel with the car, there will obviously not be a jack either and so this too will be an additional purchase.

Thirdly, and more importantly I think, as it was the manufacturers intention not to provide a spare wheel, do they still provide the normal owner/user jacking points on the car, because if not, jacking up the car without them could be decidedly dodgy.

I wonder if anyone has actually checked this out before buying the spacesaver and jack.

Once again, comments will be gratefully received. Thank you.

After a recent problem with a tyre valve which left me with a 2 and a half hour wait for recovery plus subsequent 100 mile round trip to dealer for new sensor, I have ordered a space saver from the dealer (£175). Doubt this will come with a cover but can get one online. There have been other posts about space savers and their availability on eBay etc but I always had a doubt about the size so will pay the extra from the dealer for peace of mind. The jack is in the boot by the 12v Battery and tyre inflator I believe as I haven't had a good look. You need to jack up the car to use the useless tyre kit. Not too sure when the space saver will turn up as it took about 9 days for the sensor to arrive. It will also take up room in the boot as there is no underfloor storage due to the batteries.

I purchased a spacesaver wheel and tyre from the main dealer and the cost was £147. I bought a cover seperately from a company on eBay. There is a jack and wheel nut brace in the car and of course the locking wheel nut key. Jacking points are there I have used them.

Many thanks Bob and David for your replies. I will definitely be getting a spacesaver and its good to know that the jacking points are still there. It didn't cross my mind about jacking it up to inflate with the gunge.

For the last 7 years none of our family cars have had a spare wheel. 3 punctures over that time, all whilst at home, luckily I got winter wheels for both cars, so easily sorted.

I can see the appeal of a space saver, but £175!!! Looking at the servicing costs of Lexus dealers I'm starting to get the feeling Lexus dealers have some huge profit margins!!

The following website tells you what kind of wheels fit the IS300H. You can also use the website to work out how to covert wheels for other cars with larger central boers to fit the IS300H.

http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Lexus/IS300h%20(2013%20-%20)/

I paid £200 for a set of 16 inch wheels WITH decent winter tyres for the Civic. Yes they were used but I personally wouldn't pay more than £100 for a single wheel....a quick look on a famous internet auction site shows plenty of Lexus space savers for around £100.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Picked my space saver up today from the dealer, fitted with Continental tyre. £142, better than I was quoted and I am reasonably happy. Would be better if it could be fitted under the boot floor but can't have everything