Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intermittent Audio/phone/dab

Had my IS300H Executive about 3 months now and I think its a great relaxing place to be - except for an intermittent audio system. My useage is outer/inner London within M25 so DAB signal should not be an issue - however at times DAB, CD, Auxillary input from Android via Spotify and most irritatingly 'hands free' phone go intermittant on totally random occasions. Some days the system is fine - other days it drives me crazy and whilst on phone I'll get 10 seconds of conversation - then 5 seconds where I can't hear other party - and they can't hear me - not good for customer relations! - Its exactly the same with DAB, CD and Aux. Took the car in to main dealer for a couple of hours and, sods law it didn't play up. Too busy workwise to waste time and put the car in for a day or so with the Lexus dealer to try and find the issue so will will now probably wait until first service in a month or so to hopefully get resolved - didn't see anyone else with this issue on this forum - is this just an isolated event?

I have DAB cut in and out all the time but that is a signal issue - it fades out and goes silent for a few seconds and then displays 'no signal' before coming back again.

If your CD is doing it then there is something clearly wrong as that isn't relying on a radio signal like DAB/Phone/Spotify. I've certainly never experienced sound issues playing directly from my phone.

Thanks for replies - yes, I guessed it was going to be something specific to my vehicle rather an a 'generic' issue (others would have 'flagged' the issue and main dealer would have been aware)

Yes, agree that DAB can and will cut in/cut out in poorer signal areas - but in London & South East it shouldn't be a major issue. My previous BMW 'daily' with 'shark fin' antenna never had DAB issues. Perhaps aerial in rear screen is less effective?

Regards, Ross

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bought a brand new IS300H FSPORT with Mark Levinson, and have noticed that the audio volume level decreases unless you select a different audio output then revert it back to what you originally had it on. So for instance... I was listening to a CD having selected disc and the volume is on 21, it plays fine / you can hear the audio but if you select another source, say DAB then revert back to your CD, and not adjust volume so its still on 21, the audio is way louder. It does not matter what source you select initially and change to, whether periodic or quickly. Audio is louder when you select the source you were using first.

I am going to Lexus tomorrow to have some transponder options programmed and am going to get tech to look at this as its bugging me. Only had it a week, but its my 12th Lexus car.

Has anyone else noticed this problem / had this issue??

I appreciate what your saying re equalising audio between sources. Other Lexus owned vehicles didn't do it, and last one was a 2013 model which I also opted to include Mark Levinson audio. Appreciate you have ASL which I didn't cover on my initial rant but it even does it when stationary. Mentioned it to centre manager who drives the exec version IS300H and he noticed it but blamed it on poor Bluetooth quality as he was streaming. I did say to him to try other sources. We spoke on Wednesday but his day off is Thursday hence why iam going in today (Friday) he will let me know his outcome and tech can do my bits and check the O/S of the unit as its got to be that in my opinion. Bloody annoying though.

Thanks for your input Roscobbc.

I appreciate what your saying re equalising audio between sources. Other Lexus owned vehicles didn't do it, and last one was a 2013 model which I also opted to include Mark Levinson audio. Appreciate you have ASL which I didn't cover on my initial rant but it even does it when stationary. Mentioned it to centre manager who drives the exec version IS300H and he noticed it but blamed it on poor bluetooth quality as he was streaming. I did say to him to try other sources. We spoke on Wednesday but his day off is Thursday hence why iam going in today (Friday) he will let me know his outcome and tech can do my bits and check the O/S of the unit as its got to be that in my opinion. Bloody annoying though.

Thanks for your input Roscobbc.

Another thing is to check that the equalizer settings are the same for all sources. Certainly in my RX450h the ML system had the equalizer in the middle. When I changed it for USB, it didnt change for the other sources so it may be worth checking.

Thanks Ryaans,

it was one of the 1st things I checked as I altered all EQ settings for each source because as you say, there defaulted otherwise.

Off to Lexus now so Graham the head tech can try and figure it out.

Went to Lexus earlier today and IDS was plugged into my unit and serial number ended in D so an update was available and carried out. All other bits i wanted doing like windows opening and closing using transponder etc were also carried out.

Seems to have cured problem, only checked it on 1 source but when i get longer i will test all sources / volume levels.

Original post -

Had my IS300H Executive about 3 months now and I think its a great
relaxing place to be - except for an intermittent audio system. My
useage is outer/inner London within M25 so DAB signal should not be an
issue - however at times DAB, CD, Auxillary input from Android via
Spotify and most irritatingly 'hands free' phone go intermittant on
totally random occasions. Some days the system is fine - other days it
drives me crazy and whilst on phone I'll get 10 seconds of conversation -
then 5 seconds where I can't hear other party - and they can't hear me -
not good for customer relations! - Its exactly the same with DAB, CD
and Aux. Took the car in to main dealer for a couple of hours and, sods
law it didn't play up. Too busy workwise to waste time and put the car
in for a day or so with the Lexus dealer to try and find the issue so
will will now probably wait until first service in a month or so to
hopefully get resolved - didn't see anyone else with this issue on this
forum - is this just an isolated event?
[end quote]

Update.

Had the IS300H Exec' some 4 months now and took in today to main dealer a little bit early for its first service (8700 miles) mainly as I wanted to get the audio problem sorted. Had the key fob set to close electric windows when locking (good) - wanted the car set-up so that electric mirrors would retract when ignition is turned off - but told that setting is not available on this model - but really wanted to get the intermitent audio sorted - that didn't happen (irritating) was told that they made sure software had latest updates but will need it in again for a full day to devote more time to it (inconvenient). No one on here seems to have experienced this problem which was still quite noticeable as I took the car home after the service visit (and even more noticeable as the CT200 courtesy car's audio and bluetooth performed perfectly) Just to re-cap all audio output sources cut-out for 2 to 4 seconds randomly. Some days it is more or less continuous - other days infrequently. It effects sound output of all functions, DAB - radio - CD - Aux - bluetooth phone. All audio systems function perfectly normally otherwise - no auto re-booting. When using the bluetooth phone the other party seems to be able to hear me when the cutting out occurs - but I can't hear them when it cuts out, resulting in confused conversations (really annoying). Any 'tech' guys with ideas?

Sounds like either broken wiring/connector into the amplifier/headunit or an electrical fault in the amp/headunit if it is affecting everything. Hopefully they can trace it and fix it.

• 3 weeks later...

Car went in to main dealers (Hills of Woodford) for the day on Thursday to sort the intermittent audio output. Diagnostics told them there was a continually repeating fault code occuring. This was showing as an earth fault. They 'pulled' the radio unit and found the earth connection to radio was appearing not to connect properly. Re-assembled and fault code cleared and radio/cd/aux/bluetooth ran all afternoon in workshop and worked OK when I was taking it back home - credit to the guys - thought they had 'cracked; it. Today however - all back to normal with the random cutting out for 3/4 seconds at a time as before. However I have realised that it only does it whilst the vehicle is moving. If the car is stationary then all is fine. So there is a clue for the technician on the cars next visit 6th March!

I bought a very small 64gb memory stick to store music to plug into one of the usb sockets. Occasionally this is not recognised and it seemed to mute all audio sources. All ok now using a standard size stick.

Just a thought

Regards. Ed.

• 3 weeks later...

Car went in to Hills of Woodford Friday morning for another attempt to correct the intermittent audio/bluetooth output. Had established that it cut speaker output in car for 4/5 seconds and that other party on phone was still connected and could hear me (I couldn't hear them) - also established that it only ocurred whilst vehicle was moving - stationary and was fine. Apparently Lexus 'tech' have sent them/or instructed them to do latest upgrade. Collected it Monday evening and on the 30 minute journey home the audio seemed fine - will see how it all goes over the next few days.

On a slightly different note - the courtesy car I had over the weekend was a CT200. I have had these as courtesy vehicles before and remembered why I would never choose one for a daily driver - poor boot space - too firm a ride in town, )although fine on motorways and surprising quiet at speed) - rear visibility questionable - some nice little touches like permanently illuminated foorwells and a blue/red LED in the overhead console highlighting the cupholder area. But it was OK and I got used to it over the weekend. It was picking up the IS300H today that made me realise what a wonderfully relaxed, peaceful and pleasureable car this is to drive. For the first time in probably in 40 years and over a million miles of driving I have found a car that is worth taking the extra time to enjoy driving at leisurely speeds. I can relate it many years ago to driving my late father in laws RR Shadow - it was much more pleasant 'wafting' around and letting the rest of the world do their own thing. Or have I become an old fart?

I am sorry but you have become an old fart, it just sneaks up without any notice, apart to the people around you who seem to be aware, I would advise against trying to recapture a long lost youth as people will say "look at that silly old fart"

I used to work at Hills Garage on the petrol pumps in the school holidays, 4 star & 5 star petrol, blimey I am an old fart as well, now where did I put my driving gloves.

Ross:

The validity of your closing query merits close consideration, at least on the part of some of us. I have from time

to time noticed how the expressions on the faces of some younger folk change from admiration for the 300h to

mild contempt when they see my grey mane emerge from it accompanied by the sound of creaking bones and

perhaps a groan from the effort. Not that one should get over-sensitive about such unintended displays of

incivility, for, if I might supplement your own olfactory metaphor with another, the ability to appreciatively sniff

the roses, in our case an automotive one, can only improve with age and experience.

Ross:

The validity of your closing query merits close consideration, at least on the part of some of us. I have from time

to time noticed how the expressions on the faces of some younger folk change from admiration for the 300h to

mild contempt when they see my grey mane emerge from it accompanied by the sound of creaking bones and

perhaps a groan from the effort. Not that one should get over-sensitive about such unintended displays of

incivility, for, if I might supplement your own olfactory metaphor with another, the ability to appreciatively sniff

the roses, in our case an automotive one, can only improve with age and experience.

Hi Rabbers - thanks for your 'leveller' posting - I am writing this respose listening to a live recording of the late and great (and mis-understood) Frank Zappa's and "Penguin in Bondage" - so apologies if the balance of my mind is thrown askew somewhat. When I need a dose of 'old school' motoring and a breath of (not very) fresh air I can open up my garage and use something with 500+ bhp/tq outputs that will break national speed limit in 1st gear and the very antithesis to our hybrids.

Ross:

I note that you are a connoisseur of mind-conditioning music of a bygone age. As a specific antidote to the

excessive modernity of the 300h with all its technological wizardry and built-in creature comforts I occasionally

feel the need to fill the cockpit with the sounds and words of car-inspired vintage Chuck Berry numbers, e.g.

No Money Down, No Particular Place To Go, Maybelline, The Jaguar And The Thunderbird, etc., none of

which are exactly deserving of the lush ML system but are nonetheless capable of bringing tears to the eyes

of many an old fart (if you'll forgive the anatomically mixed metaphor).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links