Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2001 Is200 Overheating And Engine Management Light.

Essex89

Hi there.

I bought my partner a 2001 IS200 for christmas as her Astra had been constantly unreliable (oh the irony!). I went to view it with a friend who is a master tech at Toyota, and looked over everything possible at the time. We both concluded that it was a pretty sound car.

Driving home tonight, the engine management light came on and the engine sounded a little unhealthy. This was only a mile from home, so decided to persist and have a look when we got back.

The engine then grumbled and cut out completely. I could hear a bubbling noise coming from the engine, although it hasn't lost any coolant or oil. Having had a quick google, I'm thinking either the thermostat or radiator fan? My mate who works for Toyota is (annoyingly) on holiday until next week so I can't ask him.

Any info/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

James

Afraid not. I was driving behind her. Didn't think to ask at the time. It seems stupidly obvious now!

I could hear a bubbling sound coming from the engine, although no apparent oil or coolant loss. Going to try and start it tonight and see if it starts, and if it sounds healthy.

Thanks for the reply, Colin. Should have been the first thing I checked.

Kind regards,

James.

Let's hope it's okay. I doubt the radiator fan is the issue, in this cold weather it is unlikely to come on unless held in traffic for a long time. A coolant air lock or stuck thermostat could have caused this, and the outside possibility of a blown head gasket.

A stuck closed thermostat would be No.1 suspect followed by a faulty pressure cap although that would be evident with coolant loss which you say was not evident.

I would pull the stat and pop it into some boiling water on a bit of wire and observe if it opens to confirm.

It would also help to read the diagnostic codes, if the EML came on there should be a stored code in the memory.

hello all, I have just read through this as i have just had the same thing happen to my 2000 IS 200 It started yesterday morning i had only driven about a mile and a half (if that) and temp gauge was off the clock , stopped to get papers etc from shop and when i got back in to the car and pulled away temp was reading fine . So this morning i topped radiator up , and took it for a run and was fine, till this evening drove 4 miles and temp off the scale, engine warning light came on and TRC light on dash flashing at me . I stopped and opened bonnet .... steam pooring out of left hand side of engine, neither fan had kicked in , cos of the time and lack of light i could not pin point exactly where the steam was coming from . I am just a electrician and know not as much as i should do about cars(motorbikes i can do cars not so lol). So can anybody give me some advice on what the next step i should be taking is please ,

cheers Simon

thanks for the answer, next idiotic question is where is the stat situated , theres a hell of a ;lot of engine crammed under that bonnet lol most of it not that accessable(bikes are so much easier lol )

Simon

Locate the lower radiator hose and follow it away from the rad, at the other end it will connect to the thermostat housing, remove the hose, the 2 bolts (12mm) and remove the thermostat housing to expose the thermostat.

Replace the thermostat making sure the jiggle valve is at the top, replace the O ring seal in the thermostat housing and refit averything then refill the coolant lost.

`great thanks steve2006, the stat bit i understand ,im a sparky lol.will let you both know how it goes will probably be weekend now cos i am working down the west end and getting backto corby tooo late

cheers simon