Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I just bought a 2010 GS 450h SE-L. It has all the add-ons including Sat Nav with a hard drive. It says the Map version is version 1. Apparently there are now new Sat Nav updates each year.

What is the cheapest and easiest way to update?

I called Lexus and they quoted about £160. My car has a USB socket and the Lexus chap said I could download an update onto my USB stick from the Lexus website - but I can't find the right web page anywhere.

Actually when I go into Map Version on the car it asks me if I want to update and says there will be a cost involved. And there is a button marked "I AGREE" ! If I click this button what will happen? The Lexus guy asked me if my car has WiFi - I have no idea - how do I find out? I have read the Sat Nav manual and there's no mention of it.

many thanks for any help

newbie member Pete

Interesting point; I too would like to update my sat nav software and maps as they are a few years old now.

I used a supplier a few years ago for software and maps for my BMW745i. It cost about £30 for a full disk set. It all worked too and gave me 7 digit post code entry.

I will have a look back in my emails and PM you with his details. A 7 digit post code function would be nice if Lexus have released it for our cars.

Giles.

If you have a hard drive based system I don't think there is a legal option other than the official Lexus route. With the DVD based systems you could get second hand discs or just the UK disc from the European set from somebody on eBay who is splitting it.

Details of the official updates are here:

http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu

I think the HDD based systems need a dealer to perform the update. They typically don't allow the updates to be sent out to stop them being sold on.

I just bought a 2010 GS 450h SE-L. It has all the add-ons including Sat Nav with a hard drive. It says the Map version is version 1. Apparently there are now new Sat Nav updates each year.

What is the cheapest and easiest way to update?

I called Lexus and they quoted about £160. My car has a USB socket and the Lexus chap said I could download an update onto my USB stick from the Lexus website - but I can't find the right web page anywhere.

Actually when I go into Map Version on the car it asks me if I want to update and says there will be a cost involved. And there is a button marked "I AGREE" ! If I click this button what will happen? The Lexus guy asked me if my car has WiFi - I have no idea - how do I find out? I have read the Sat Nav manual and there's no mention of it.

many thanks for any help

newbie member Pete

I have a similar set up to you in my is250SEL (2010) with HDD unit. I don't have any wireless facility, I'd guess you don't either...but I may be wrong.

I had my sat nav updated 7 or 8 months back. You need to purchase a 'licence' from Lexus. This is a USB stick loaded with the most current map data. As far as I know the only way to do this is at the Lexus dealership. I don't think you can download and input any data yourself. The cost is £160 and it takes a couple of hours. My maps were 2010 and I did find the 2014 maps were much better. It was very noticeable in France this year. My older data the year before in France was a bit off the mark in quite a few places. On one well established Autoroute we were driving across green fields for about 30 miles!!!

If i recall correctly i think the chap at Lexus said the new software is released each April.

I'd say update probably every 3 to 4 years..... then you should see a noticeable difference.

I guess if you hit the 'I Agree' button you would find yourself needing that USB drive...but there may be an option to 'Cancel'.

Thank you Colin and Normski for the excellent information.

I will press the button for the onboard update as I'm intrigued to see what happens.

i.e. how could it update itself if it is not connected to the internet?

I'll let you know.

Considering all the input from various sources I think would feel safer biting the financial bullet and going the official Lexus dealer route.

PS: My version is what came with the car in 2010 and yes Normski... yesterday it could not find a street my friends live in in a small village in Kent.

Whilst I am still using the DVD based sat nav system, I cannot say that I am overly impressed with it. Not that I pay a lot of attention to the screen whilst driving, last summer I noticed that I was driving beside a railway line, except that the sat nav showed it as being on the other side of the road.

Are the hard drive versions any different or any better?

For the £160 being quoted for the Lexus update, I recently bought a new TomTom device with a 6 inch screen, traffic updates (that have already saved me many hours) and free lifetime map updates. How do Lexus justify their charges?

Lexus seem to be stuck in their year 2000 mindset when they could justify £2000 for a Sat Nav option and £100+ for a map update. Whilst I use the Lexus system I also have a £20 Iphone app that is far superior.

At least with the DVD system you can get an update disc from eBay for around £60 if you just want the disc covering the UK.

• Like 1

Thank you Colin and Normski for the excellent information.

I will press the button for the onboard update as I'm intrigued to see what happens.

i.e. how could it update itself if it is not connected to the internet?

I'll let you know.

Considering all the input from various sources I think would feel safer biting the financial bullet and going the official Lexus dealer route.

PS: My version is what came with the car in 2010 and yes Normski... yesterday it could not find a street my friends live in in a small village in Kent.

Pete,

Give me the name of the street and village please.

Regards

John

Lexus seem to be stuck in their year 2000 mindset when they could justify £2000 for a Sat Nav option and £100+ for a map update. Whilst I use the Lexus system I also have a £20 iPhone app that is far superior.

At least with the DVD system you can get an update disc from eBay for around £60 if you just want the disc covering the UK.

Hi Colin,

How do I find out which system I have. Does a HD system not use a CD/DVD for Sat Nav at all?

My car obviously has a CD /DVD drive for audio CDs and I think it also plays DVDs (movies) - I'll have to try and see !

But I think mine has a HD as it is able to record music from a CD into the HD and talks about this in the manual.

Also there is that on board option to update the Sat Nav - been busy but today I will click "I agree" - and report back!

thanks

Pete

If you can record cd's onto your HDD then you must have a HDD based system ( its what I would expect on a 2010 vehicle). That is why you have a USB based update system for the Sat Nav. The Sat Nav does not read from a DVD disc it reads direct from the Hard Drive.

The CD/DVD drive is a separate part of the ML system.

The CD/DVD drive will indeed play DVD's (but the picture is disabled when you select drive and release the footbrake) and also DVD audio discs if you have any. I listen to the audio of quite a few of my music DVD's. The only tiresome bit is you have to stop if you want to change a disc as you can't get your passenger to access any of the menus to select anything if you are moving, the screen is 'blued' out ( can't say blacked-out as mine is literally Blue!!!).

You can also put several hundred mp3 files on a CD and play them. If you have a USB port in your armrest (mine does so I figure yours would) you can plug in a USB stick loaded with mp3 files and play those as a music source too.

Church Street in Cowden.

I assumed the street name was added since 2010.

I'll ask them how long it's been there - would be interesting to know.

In the end I used the post code instead.

Thanks Pete. I could not get any street, although I could get Cowden Edenbridge.

Glad you are sorted.

Regards

Jogn

Hi All

I went into Map Update and clicked the "I agree" button and it said "device not connected".

Actually it asks you to connect the device and then press 'I agree'

so I'm pretty sure the 'device' is a USB stick.

I'll call Lexus and ask if they have them.

Lexus seem to be stuck in their year 2000 mindset when they could justify £2000 for a Sat Nav option and £100+ for a map update. Whilst I use the Lexus system I also have a £20 iPhone app that is far superior.

I agree Colin. I also have an App on my Iphone that works well - Navigon.

It is way overpriced but I think they know they have people like me by the cojones because it is so much cooler to have it all built in !

Consequently I've bitten the bullet and made an appointment at Lexus Croydon to have it done next week !

I agree Colin. I also have an App on my Iphone that works well - Navigon.

It is way overpriced but I think they know they have people like me by the cojones because it is so much cooler to have it all built in !

Consequently I've bitten the bullet and made an appointment at Lexus Croydon to have it done next week !

I would check that the new software contains;

High Street, North Street and Church Street in Cowden before you pay over your cash Pete!

Regards

John

Indeed John it blinkin well should! Also the chap at Lexus was at pains to clarify this update did not include updating the software itself - it is only an update of the streets. Just to rub in exactly what I am getting for the exorbitant cost!

rgds

Pete

• 2 years later...

http://www.thesatnavshop.com/product-page/lexus-navigation-13cy-2017-usb-map-update

if you have the usb update non premium navigation system like mine i got it from here was cheaper than dealer

USB came in post, activation map code came via email pretty much instantly

was on offer at around £90 when i purchased, dealer wanted over double that.

I believe it to be the same system that was on my 2010 Avensis and from memory the dealer has to have a special piece of kit that authorises the software and licence and loads via a cable from this equipment to the hard drive using the USB port. I was shown it at the time I updated mine. It is indeed so that it cannot be cloned and sold on. It was almost certainly a waste of money in my opinion.

Original post was about 2010 model. For those models only option is a dealer with the "special tool". 

aditionally I got mixed feeling about legality of updates from that site. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links