Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Oil Is220D?

zoran

I just wondered which oil you were all using in your 220d,im doing a change in mine in the coming weeks and at the moment im using 5w 30 Mobil ESP.Its expensive especially when i change every 5000/6months.

What do you guys use /rate highly??

I've bought 6 litres of Millers Premium XF Longlife Fully Synthetic C2 for my upcoming service - it's supposed to be easily as good, i've heard many say that its even better than the Mobil - check eBay and opie! Theres also the cheaper Millers Trident Longlife 5w30 Fully Synthetic which meets most manufacturers specs, including the important C2 spec for your car! Both will do fine, but the Premium version supports the latest ACEA C2-2010 oil spec rather than the C2-2008 spec for the Trident!

Definitely £26.50 for 5 litres delivered on eBay - bargain for such a well regarded up to date oil. So you would probably get 6 litres for around £32. Much cheaper than the Mobil and I'd be surprised if the Mobil ESP meets ACEA-C2 2010 spec, although to be fair you couldn't go far wrong with the Mobil. How do you find oil consumption with the Mobil?

I seem to use maybe a third of a litre every 5000 miles or so,do you use much? i had a is200 petrol before which i had for 8 years and that use to use quite a lot of oil.was a fantastic ,ultra reliable car though,i loved it

• 1 year later...
On 1/13/2015 at 7:55 PM, blackcts said:

Definitely £26.50 for 5 litres delivered on ebay - bargain for such a well regarded up to date oil. So you would probably get 6 litres for around £32. Much cheaper than the Mobil and I'd be surprised if the Mobil ESP meets ACEA-C2 2010 spec, although to be fair you couldn't go far wrong with the Mobil. How do you find oil consumption with the Mobil?

On 1/13/2015 at 9:20 PM, blackcts said:

Probably about just slightly over a litre over 6,000 miles. I think there is about 12,000 miles on the replacement 3/4 engine. Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w30 was used at last service.

Hi, Can I use C3 instead of C2? Because in opie olis they recommend C3 not the C2 for Lexus IS 220D

kind regards

2 hours ago, PRebelo said:

Hi, Can I use C3 instead of C2? Because in opie olis they recommend C3 not the C2 for Lexus IS 220D

I believe that there are very little difference between C2 and C3, so C3 should be fine to use.

ACEA C2 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 2.9mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life and maintain the vehicles fuel economy. Warning: these oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

ACEA C3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines, with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 3.5mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life. Warning: these oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

The only difference I can see is HTHS rating 2.9 vs 3.5mPa.s, which means that theoretically C2 is more fuel efficient, whilst C3 better protect the engine. However I am saying theoretically, because anything below 3.5mPa.s is considered FE.

Now that said, I believe you referring to Castrol Magnatec, which is in any way superior oil to what your engine was designed for hence it almost doesn't matter.

On 8/28/2016 at 2:59 PM, Linas.P said:

I believe that there are very little difference between C2 and C3, so C3 should be fine to use.

The only difference I can see is HTHS rating 2.9 vs 3.5mPa.s, which means that theoretically C2 is more fuel efficient, whilst C3 better protect the engine. However I am saying theoretically, because anything below 3.5mPa.s is considered FE.

Now that said, I believe you referring to Castrol Magnatec, which is in any way superior oil to what your engine was designed for hence it almost doesn't matter.

Thx for the reply. Yes is Castrol magnatec 5w30 that Im willing to buy, but I see that Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is very good as well...What you recommend? Castrol or Mobil?

As mentioned above, it might be right to recommend C2, not C3... but you won't notice any difference, nor you would hurt your engine in any way. Mobil or Castrol.. again no difference, these both oils are almost "overkill" for your car. If C3 would be £1 cheaper I would go C3.. regardless just because of how little difference is between those oils. I am certain car came with much worse oil from factory back when it was made, simply because oils are continuously improving and what was best oil technology in 2006, today can be found in cheapest oil.

Much more important is regular oil change and if you ask me, I would rather get the cheapest and dirtiest oil + filter replaced in 5000 miles intervals rather than getting premium Mobil or Castrol on 10k or 12.5k intervals. I must admit myself I am wasting my money with Castrol Magnatec 5w30 (for IS250)... Don't have any justification for that. That is especially true for high miles engines like mine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links