Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is that a picture of you on an Rd yammy there? I've been into bikes myself until my wife had the stroke and had to sell mine. I had a 1520 goldwing interstate so I guess big engines are in my blood

Yea mark thats my old smoker loving the cheddar gorge twistys which we normally met at every couple of years with the Aircooled RD club.The smell of Castrol R up through the gorge is intoxicating :)

She surprises a few of the bigger/modern bikes even now.may have something to do with it being breathed on and a pilot that weighs as much as a wet J Cloth :whistling:

Oh and still on topic it does about the same as the LS full consumption wise :rolleyes:

A late contribution to this thread: As I posted recently under a different heading, over my six-month ownership period of my LS430 I've averaged 25-ish mpg - around our country lanes it drops, of course, to 20-ish; on longer journeys on M-ways and good dual carriageways I have no trouble achieving 28-29. The enjoyment level is higher than I've ever experienced in 45 years of motoring, and in any case fuel costs as a proportion of living expenditure are trivial - especially at their present levels. I've no doubt that looking at total cost of ownership over several years I shall win hands down.

Anthony

• Like 1

My first ever job was a Saturday job at a little garage in Ickenham Middlesex (2 mentions for Middlesex in the same week on the LOC) and I served petrol it was One shilling and Sixpence a gallon. I only earnt 2 bob for the day. How times have changed. Mike

Blimey, I had a weekend job as a teenager working the petrol pumps ( Chislehurst Kent ) and every other weekend we had a Rolls Royce come in and he had 15 gallons of 5* and spent £5 .... . an absolute fortune in those days to me............... Back in 1969 I think ..........

Malc

Blimey, I had a weekend job as a teenager working the petrol pumps ( Chislehurst Kent ) and every other weekend we had a Rolls Royce come in and he had 15 gallons of 5* and spent £5 .... . an absolute fortune in those days to me............... Back in 1969 I think ..........

Malc

Sadly I go back to the 50s but I did have the 60s to look forward too and I do remember some of it. Mike

Me and a mate of mine used to ride motorbikes etc over the fields when we were kids in the mid 70's, he had a bantam and I had a powapack engine from a bicycle rudge on the back of my bike. We both used to pitch in together to get a gallon of petrol. Probably cost about 15p then....ah those were the days. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Ok back to the mpg. I filled the tank (£86) when it came up "low fuel" and it turns out that my 430 is returning 16 mpg around town as they say. So this lasted about 3 weeks and it's costing just under £30 per week. Considering I was puting £25 per week in my last car I'd say it's more than worth the extra £5 a week so all is well with the world 👍😊

• 4 weeks later...

Over the last 20 months and 25k miles my '04 LS430 has returned an average of 24.7mph; a best of 31 mph (on a 500 mile motorway run at 80mph, and a worst of about 19mph around town.

These are accurate figures as I keep an Excel spreadsheet of all my fuel purchases, together with odometer readings and tank mpg readings, cost etc. The spreadsheet then calculates the actual mpg betweeen each fill-up, and compares it to the displayed tank mpg and gives me a percentage error.

The average error is less than 2% and has never exceeded 3% which is far more accurate than on any other car I have had.

It also calculates a running overall average mpg and cost of fuel (pence per mile). The average cost per mile has now come down to 22.8p since July 2013 due to the recent lower cost of petrol.

In comparison these are the average mpg achieved on my previous cars since 2005 all of which included motorway, town and rural driving.

2001 Astra 2000dti 43.3

2005 Astra 1.9cdti SRi 38.9

2007 Mondeo 2.0 cdti 39.0

2010 BMW 320d 43.2

2006 Peugeot 407d 37.9

2004 LS430 24.7

MPG aside - I can see why you went from a Peugeot 407 to a Lexus Ls400...but...from a 2010 BMW 320d to a 407 defies all logic :)

I'd concur with those consumption figures. After 9 months of ownership of my '03 LS430 I'm getting 19 - 20 in our country lanes, 30-ish on long journeys (although I try not to run for long at 80 - my cruise is usually set at 73 and I reckon 65-70, if maintained over a long run, would give optimum consumption) and rough average 24-25.

Good idea to operate a spreadsheet - I keep a precise note of all costs but don't formalise them in that way. I'll start doing so.

Incidentally Lexus Bristol have replaced my timing belt and water pump, total cost incl VAT £490. They rang me to recommend dealing with the water pump and associated drive belt change, having noticed some early stage traces of age. Good value, I reckon. The car has done only 94400 but is 12 years old, so midway between the 1-year-or-100000-mile recommendation.

In response to Ruud's comment, the reason I went from a '10 3-series to a '06 407 was that the BMW was a company car but then I changed jobs and opted to take a car allowance in lieu of a company car (for tax reasons).

Incidentally the 407, whilst having all the toys, was by far the worst car I've ever had for reliabilitty. The list was endless and I ended up selling it for £1003 on eBay, a loss of £5k over 2 years, just to get rid of it.

The Lexus on the other hand has been faultless, apart from the failure of the steering wheel retract (which I'm not bothered about) and the sub-woofer which I replaced with a Polk Audio sub and now sounds awesome.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links