Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

That £850 will be +shipping, import tax (10%?), & vat of course.

What I really want is some info from someone who has done this so I can know what to expect.

Yes, sorry Phil. I'm not too good at that these creaky back days.

However, if when you want a holiday in Portugal in the next couple of months you are welcome to dismantle my back seat as a practice run.

I might get the 'somewhere behind the back rest' rattle fixed as a bonus :whistling:

BTW: regarding my dash fault issue. The vsc/red triangle display vanished yesterday, two days after I sprayed the maf with Screwfix 'electrical cleaner'. The maf looked immaculate beforehand so I nearly didn't bother. So I guess I'll be dong gone ...... sorry

That £850 will be +shipping, import tax (10%?), & vat of course.

What I really want is some info from someone who has done this so I can know what to expect.

Yes, sorry Phil. I'm not too good at that these creaky back days.

However, if when you want a holiday in Portugal in the next couple of months you are welcome to dismantle my back seat as a practice run.

I might get the 'somewhere behind the back rest' rattle fixed as a bonus :whistling:

BTW: regarding my dash fault issue. The vsc/red triangle display vanished yesterday, two days after I sprayed the maf with Screwfix 'electrical cleaner'. The maf looked immaculate beforehand so I nearly didn't bother. So I guess I'll be dong gone ...... sorry

Portugal...not sure, now if you said Cornwall...

According to a couple of US forums it may not be necessary to completely remove the rear seat, it's just to get access to the top mountings. A good idea though to look at the state of the subwoofer at the same time.

According to a couple of US forums it may not be necessary to completely remove the rear seat, it's just to get access to the top mountings. A good idea though to look at the state of the subwoofer at the same time.

This one?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls430/445122-how-to-remove-rear-seats-01-03-ul.html#post5765677

It will be cooling down soon, so I will perform a gentle exploratory.

Hi Fellas

Many apologies for not responding to Phil's PM and your questions. I have not been logging on to the forum because I have been a bit busy.

So an update on my suspension change.

I had the work done in early Feb and since mid Feb have been covering about 500 miles per week and everything is spot on. My wife thinks the car was better on the air suspension when it was new - sure 240K miles and 13 years ago when the roads did not have pot holes in them. She is correct that over bumps the air suspension will give you a better ride because it reacts more quickly and the suspension is quieter. The new suspension can rattle a bit on a very bumpy road but this does not affect handling and it is very smooth on a half decent road surface. The car corners just as well as it did on air suspension. I am coming up for a service so will have somebody check it out for me - I don't crawl under cars anymore because I am too fat and
stiff.

The parts were £671 including shipping on eBay in the US - none were available in the UK. – They cost £114 to clear through customs and deliver. This seemed cheap and I did not get any paperwork nor did I chase any because it was a good price. My local garage charged me £55 per corner to fit. So the parts plus shipping, clearance and fitting were less than £1000 - I am very happy with this.

I had to have the front end aligned after the work and the track rods were seized so I bought a full set from Rock Auto in the US for $152 delivered – it was £100 to have them fitted and the alignment done.

I cannot stress how well the car drives – it also breaks very well. My air suspension was in such bad shape my 430 drove like a barge before I changed the struts.

Things to watch out for: I asked the garage to remove the compressor – they did this after the event. On the day you only need to remove the fuse to disable the compressor. There were no warning lights at this point – when the compressor was removed a high ride height warning appeared. This may be because one of the ride heath sensors was bumped or broken during the removal – anybody any idea how to disable this?

I did a lot of research into this change (it is in my nature because I am an engineering consultant for a living) and I am very pleased with the outcome.

The new struts can be fitted by any competent mechanic – the guy that did the job said the rears were a bit of a wrestle – that’s why I paid him.

I am due a service so will let you know if anything come from that.

Cheers

Bren

• Like 1

Hi Fellas

Many apologies for not responding to Phil's PM and your questions. I have not been logging on to the forum because I have been a bit busy.

I had the work done in early Feb and since mid Feb have been covering about 500 miles per week and everything is spot on. My wife thinks the car was better on the air suspension when it was new - sure 240K miles and 13 years ago when the roads did not have pot holes in them. She is correct that over bumps the air suspension will give you a better ride because it reacts more quickly and the suspension is quieter. The new suspension can rattle a bit on a very bumpy road but this does not affect handling and it is very smooth on a half decent road surface. The car corners just as well as it did on air suspension. I am coming up for a service so will have somebody check it out for me - I don't crawl under cars anymore because I am too fat and

stiff.

The parts were £671 including shipping on ebay in the US - none were available in the UK. – They cost £114 to clear through customs and deliver. This seemed cheap and I did not get any paperwork nor did I chase any because it was a good price. My local garage charged me £55 per corner to fit. So the parts plus shipping, clearance and fitting were less than £1000 - I am very happy with this.

I had to have the front end aligned after the work and the track rods were seized so I bought a full set from Rock Auto in the US for $152 delivered – it was £100 to have them fitted and the alignment done.

I cannot stress how well the car drives – it also breaks very well. My air suspension was in such bad shape my 430 drove like a barge before I changed the struts.

Things to watch out for: I asked the garage to remove the compressor – they did this after the event. On the day you only need to remove the fuse to disable the compressor. There were no warning lights at this point – when the compressor was removed a high ride height warning appeared. This may be because one of the ride heath sensors was bumped or broken during the removal – anybody any idea how to disable this?

I did a lot of research into this change (it is in my nature because I am an engineering consultant for a living) and I am very pleased with the outcome.

The new struts can be fitted by any competent mechanic – the guy that did the job said the rears were a bit of a wrestle – that’s why I paid him.

Cheers

Bren

I've only just seen this reply, thanks for the info, it's something I'm definitely considering. Have you got the link for the US supplier, and am I right in saying the rear seat removal was the longest job?

Hi Fellas

stiff.

The parts were £671 including shipping on ebay in the US - none were available in the UK. – They cost £114 to clear through customs and deliver. This seemed cheap and I did not get any paperwork nor did I chase any because it was a good price. My local garage charged me £55 per corner to fit. So the parts plus shipping, clearance and fitting were less than £1000 - I am very happy with this.

Cheers

Bren

I've only just seen this reply, thanks for the info, it's something I'm definitely considering. Have you got the link for the US supplier, and am I right in saying the rear seat removal was the longest job?

Hi Phil

This was the item I bought

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261311197422?item=261311197422&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Touring Tech Air Bag Conversion

The reseller was Active Distribution and they have an eBay shop.

http://stores.ebay.com/Active-Distribution-Store?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

and they still have them:

http://stores.ebay.com/Active-Distribution-Store/_i.html?_nkw=Touring+Tech+2001-2006+LS430+Air+Suspension+Air+Bag+Conversion+&submit=Search&_sid=24147399

Don't forget to haggle :)

I am not sure if the back seat has to come out but I did find the instructions for its removal in the back of the car when I got it back :)

Cheers

Bren

Hi Fellas

stiff.

Cheers

Bren

Hi Phil

http://stores.ebay.com/Active-Distribution-Store/_i.html?_nkw=Touring+Tech+2001-2006+LS430+Air+Suspension+Air+Bag+Conversion+&submit=Search&_sid=24147399

I am not sure if the back seat has to come out but I did find the instructions for its removal in the back of the car when I got it back :)

Cheers

Bren

Thanks for that. I wonder how they compare with the UK made ones on eBay.

What was the main problem with your original set up, was it the ride or were they just leaking?

Hi Fellas

stiff.

Cheers

Bren

Hi Phil

Cheers

Bren

What was the main problem with your original set up, was it the ride or were they just leaking?

It started off with ride height sensor problems. I tie wrapped the left rear but it kept slipping - result the back end dropped to the bumpers and that holed the left rear air bag. Eventually the compressor could not keep up - so I bit the bullet. When the struts were removed the left had a hole in it and the right rear was in bad shape. Now all is good.

That's why I advised Den to sort his ride heigth problem out quickly.

Cheers

Bren

Hi Fellas

stiff.

Cheers

Bren

Hi Phil

Cheers

Bren

It started off with ride height sensor problems. I tie wrapped the left rear but it kept slipping - result the back end dropped to the bumpers and that holed the left rear air bag. Eventually the compressor could not keep up - so I bit the bullet. When the struts were removed the left had a hole in it and the right rear was in bad shape. Now all is good.

That's why I advised Den to sort his ride heigth problem out quickly.

Cheers

Bren

Thank you. The guy I bought mine from (a LOC member) said he'd had the rear suspension replaced, along with the rear air con pipes, although I never got to see any paperwork. I had to replace one rear sensor which wasn't cheap. I think I'll leave mine as it is for now, but if there is any hint of problems I'll go down the springs route. I think they're a great car, and if the problems are either sorted or prevented they should motor on for years. I have decided though to replace my radiator as a precaution. My transmission cooler is working fine, but I can't help thinking the original setup has to be best.

• 1 month later...

Great to read a simple solution that has worked out, - thanks for sharing Bren.

"you need to keep the ride height sensors connected - one of mine is duff (bodged at the moment) so will need to work on that.

Does this mean that the height sensors still need to work with this coilover conversion? If so that's still a bit of a worry given that they seem to consistently fail?

Great to read a simple solution that has worked out, - thanks for sharing Bren.

"you need to keep the ride height sensors connected - one of mine is duff (bodged at the moment) so will need to work on that.

Does this mean that the height sensors still need to work with this coilover conversion? If so that's still a bit of a worry given that they seem to consistently fail?

As far as I'm aware the ride height sensors only need to be left in place for the headlight leveling part, but I don't think the sensors themselves serve a purpose after conversion...I think!

Good point on the headlight levelers. Every since I had the compressor removed I have had a ride height high error - I expect the sensors need to be locked in place and all be in the same position because there is nothing to connect them to mechanically now.. I'll check with the guys at the garage tomorrow when they look at my yaw sensor fault - I have a check VSC light on when I roll. Without the VSC it is very easy to 'light up' the back tyres especially when it is a little damp :).

Cheers

Bren

The ride height/levelling sensors are a requirement on the car regardless of air or mechanical suspension, as the attitude of the car is dependant on loading .The car will fail its MOT if they are not operating properly.

The ride height/levelling sensors are a requirement on the car regardless of air or mechanical suspension, as the attitude of the car is dependant on loading .The car will fail its MOT if they are not operating properly.

Hi I am not sure how the ride height sensors can affect the attitude of the car without the air suspension system (that I removed).

I expect the ride height sensors alter the headlamp angle. I'll check with the garage, when I go in next week, about the MOT.

However, one of my rear ride height sensors has been duff and wired in place for a couple of years and it did not affect the performance of the car because the air struts where on the way out - and the car passed the MOT without problem.

I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers

Bren

Bren, fwiw my coil over 430 had a headlight level or ride height warning light annoying me so I removed another fuse.

I think it was in the lhs footwell?

Thanks mate I will check it out

Bren

The War Dept. has just returned with the car.

On checking, the LH footwell middle fuse second row from the top is shown as 'H-LP LVL', & as it is missing it's fair guess it's the one I pulled :)

I may have caused a bit of confusion with my post regarding the ride height sensors .The levelling of the headlights was my point which I did not explain very well and I may have misled you as the ride height sensor on the air suspension may have a different function.

Bren, fwiw my coil over 430 had a headlight level or ride height warning light annoying me so I removed another fuse.

I think it was in the lhs footwell?

Thanks mate I will check it out

Bren

The War Dept. has just returned with the car.

On checking, the LH footwell middle fuse second row from the top is shown as 'H-LP LVL', & as it is missing it's fair guess it's the one I pulled :)

Thanks Stuart - I will have a look at this - the red triangle gets on my nerves. :)

Bren

I may have caused a bit of confusion with my post regarding the ride height sensors .The levelling of the headlights was my point which I did not explain very well and I may have misled you as the ride height sensor on the air suspension may have a different function.

No probs Amber - any safety kit that is on the car must function or it will fail the MOT. As long as the headlamp alignment is in spec, for the test, it will pass because they won't test the leveling mechanism. So spare the tyre, all those old bags of cement and the dead bodies (from when I was a hitman) will need to be unloaded for the next MOT :)

Cheers

Bren

• 2 years later...

hi everyon e i am new to this forum.i also have a problem i have just imported a 2005 toyota celsior from japan and while i was driving on the motorway back from southampton i notidced the rear was abit bouncy.

I have tried using the high ride height button but unfortunately nothing happens and i have noticed it is already high at the front.I can hear the compressor make a noise at the front but nothing happens.The rear is bouncy if i push down the car from the rear.Does anyone recommend me what could be the problem?

thank you

• 1 year later...

Has anyone else had this conversion done recently? I've got a 2005 LS430 with 186K and was considering a conversion rather than spend way over what the car is worth. Other than that, the car drives superbly so would rather keep it.

11 hours ago, Manny1 said:

Has anyone else had this conversion done recently? I've got a 2005 LS430 with 186K and was considering a conversion rather than spend way over what the car is worth. Other than that, the car drives superbly so would rather keep it.

I've considered and reconsidered what I will do if and when a problem arises.  It may never be a problem but I've come to the conclusion that if a repair was necessary that cost more than three hundred or so  I'll be buying a set of direct replacement coil shocks from Strutmaster in the US and say goodbye to air suspension for good.  And as I've said before, I don't really believe air is any better than the conventional set up my LS400's had.  I can't help thinking if one shock goes, the others may not be far behind. 

I completed my conversion over the weekend. I bought the touring tech kit (Originally ordered KYB OEM shocks but sent them back as they didn't come with any mounting hardware)

Found here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Touring-Tech-2001-2006-LS430-Air-Suspension-Air-Bag-Conversion/291818943480?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40719%26meid%3Db64f54c316da40ababd3b9bfc61ca020%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D291818943480%26itm%3D291818943480%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A040dbb2e-c986-11e9-8513-74dbd18070f7|parentrq%3Ad7f5c5ea16c0a4e8e0ba3496ffdf082a|iid%3A1

Total cost was around 450 including shipping and import taxes etc.

I replaced the springs that came with the above kit with a set of RS-R down springs bought via Croooober which give a 40mm drop over standard. Not too low and decent level of comfort.

Once installed its a matter of pulling the compressor fuse prior to turning the car back on to avoid any error codes. Bearing in mind ALL height sensors should be left in situ.

So far so good. I'm now battling the headlights trying to open them up to grind the projector shutter flat. Not a great deal of fun 😞 

IMG20190828132544.thumb.jpg.bdd7c9d585a5b43476373481c447bcb1.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links