Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Android Phone Music Streaming

Hi Guys,

I recently bought my 2nd Lex an RX 400H SE ,and I am struggling to find a way to stream music from my android phone to the cars sound system. I normally use spotify,but I can't find a way of streaming it to the cars speakers. Any help on this would be much appreciated as I can't survive without music (and I don't really fancy having to buy music cd's.

cheers.

Sorry but it isn't going to work - the Lexus Bluetooth system is not A2DP which is what you need to stream music on Bluetooth.

There are some systems that you can install which provide an AUX and/or a USB socket but they're expensive. I just use on of those cheap cassette adaptors which plugs into my phone and slots into the cassette player. Not great quality but does the job...

I bought this from amazon. Easy to use, great sound and actually looks okay in my RX300! Check out the reviews...

GOgroove FlexSMART X3 Bluetooth Wireless FM Transmitter Car Kit with Built-in Microphone for Hands-free Calling , Flexible Neck , USB Charging Port & AUX Line-In to connect Non-Bluetooth devices -Works with apple Iphone 6 , 6 Plus , iPad , iPad / Phones , Tablets , MP3 Players & More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BMYQTYE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_C2xVub1R3F4H2

post-51946-142170484141_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys.Quite disappointing that such an awesome car doesn't have the ability to stream music. The GOgroove FlexSMART looks pretty decent,I will be having a look at it Michael.

One has to remember that RX 400h came out in 2005 with the last model of this generation being made in 2008 - Bluetooth music streaming was not, well, mainstream yet with the first popular smartphone (iPhone) having come out just in 2007. And car manufacturers do lag behind in implementing latest technology in their cars - usually. So no surprise Bluetooth music (A2DP) wasn't a standard at the time.

But iPod integration became shortly available via dealerships - so you could explore the option of getting the iPod integration kit and buying a cheap old generation iPod with enough storage - this way you can even use steering wheel buttons to switch between playlists and songs and their names will be displayed in the small CD/RADIO LCD. Luckily I already had the kit installed, so I got cheap iPod nano (3rd generation) 4GB for £25 and it is good enough even nowadays.

Later discovered that I had Dension ice>Link Lite installed too - which too had iPod/AUX to FM antenna direct cable integration. This way I bought LAYEN® i-DOCK Bluetooth 4.0 Music Receiver Adapter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CMBKR58) for the 30pin apple connection - and now I can stream music from my Android phones via Bluetooth too.

So, explore the options :)

Cheers

I only just realized that. I do have a Jabra cruiser 2,but I have to physically turn it on everytime I start the car. I know it sounds like i'm asking for too much,but a set-up with instant connection would be ace!

There are a few options. Cassette adapter / FM radio transmitter are cheap solutions. Otherwise a Vaistech unit which connects into the SatNav/Stereo and emulates a mini-disc/CD changer. There are various models to support iPod/Android/Aux in. I'd probably go with Aux in along with the Bluetooth device posted above. You get limited control through the stereo/steering wheel so better to just select tracks using the phone (in a handsfree holder).

Vaistech units are expensive. There are other manufacturers too, Grom for example, but these don't seem to be that reliable. You end up having to turn the ignition system off/on sometimes to get the unit to be recognised by the vehicle.

I had a Vaistech in my GS430. Then in my RX400h I had a Grom for a few months before throwing it out and getting another Vais unit.

• 4 months later...

• 9 months later...
On 20 January 2015 at 0:46 PM, Romasato said:

One has to remember that RX 400h came out in 2005 with the last model of this generation being made in 2008 - bluetooth music streaming was not, well, mainstream yet with the first popular smartphone (iPhone) having come out just in 2007. And car manufacturers do lag behind in implementing latest technology in their cars - usually. So no surprise bluetooth music (A2DP) wasn't a standard at the time.

But iPod integration became shortly available via dealerships - so you could explore the option of getting the iPod integration kit and buying a cheap old generation iPod with enough storage - this way you can even use steering wheel buttons to switch between playlists and songs and their names will be displayed in the small CD/RADIO LCD. Luckily I already had the kit installed, so I got cheap iPod nano (3rd generation) 4GB for £25 and it is good enough even nowadays.

Later discovered that I had Dension ice>Link Lite installed too - which too had iPod/AUX to FM antenna direct cable integration. This way I bought LAYEN® i-DOCK Bluetooth 4.0 Music Receiver Adapter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CMBKR58) for the 30pin Apple connection - and now I can stream music from my Android phones via Bluetooth too.

So, explore the options :)

Cheers

So, I have a factory fitted lexus 30 pin connector in my glove box which is operated via the "disc" button on my dash. When connected, the iPod I use comes up with a little lexus sign on the screen and it plays fine. 

What I want to be able to do, is to stream music/digital radio from my Iphone 6s to my car via Bluetooth

I spotted this Layen device on amazon and contacted them, explaining the above and asking if this product would work - they said no!!!

However, it seems as if you have a similar set up and yet you have had some joy. Do you see any reason as to why it would t work for me?

Ste

Shaw RX, to be able to stream music via Bluetooth from your phone, you will need to get a Bluetooth receiver installed, i.e. connected to your car's audio system. I think this is what I would be looking at if I didn't already have it: GROM Audio BT3 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Integrated-Bluetooth-older-TOYOTA/dp/B00GU1QUW0)

Connecting the Layen device to the official Lexus iPod integration kit (that you've already got in the glove box) will not work, since the Lexus iPod kit is disguising itself as a CD changer and Layen device does not support that type of connection.

On my car the setup is a bit different because I already had the Dension ice>Link Lite, which provides iPod/AUX-in integration - so all I needed to make it work was to buy a 30-pin iPod connection-compatible Bluetooth receiver and connect it to the Dension iPod 30-pin port.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 6:22 PM, nelmo said:

Sorry but it isn't going to work - the Lexus Bluetooth system is not A2DP which is what you need to stream music on Bluetooth.

There are some systems that you can install which provide an AUX and/or a USB socket but they're expensive. I just use on of those cheap cassette adaptors which plugs into my phone and slots into the cassette player. Not great quality but does the job...

I have one of these somewhere that I used to use in my RX400h if you are interested. PM me your details and I'll send it to you FOC. If I can find it.

26 minutes ago, DanD said:

I have one of these somewhere that I used to use in my RX400h if you are interested. PM me your details and I'll send it to you FOC. If I can find it.

Legend. I will PM you. Thank you!!!!!!!

On 1/19/2015 at 10:01 PM, Michael Hurn said:

I bought this from Amazon. Easy to use, great sound and actually looks okay in my RX300! Check out the reviews...

GOgroove FlexSMART X3 Bluetooth Wireless FM Transmitter Car Kit with Built-in Microphone for Hands-free Calling , Flexible Neck , USB Charging Port & AUX Line-In to connect Non-Bluetooth devices -Works with Apple iPhone 6 , 6 Plus , iPad , iPad / Phones , Tablets , MP3 Players & More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BMYQTYE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_C2xVub1R3F4H2

post-51946-142170484141_thumb.jpg

How does it work in an Rx300?

Unit plugs into power socket...

Then?

I have an Iphone but don't understand how the device gives your RX the 'music'?

I hope that makes sense?!

Piers.

Try this...

1. tune the car radio into a frequency that is not in use.

2. tune the device to the same frequency.

3. connect your Iphone to the device... and hit play

I have used something similar in the past and it worked OK, but you will find that you need to repeat the procedure as you travel around: What is an unused frequency in your area may be used by a local radio only a few miles away, and as you get within range of that radio station their signal will interfere with your own music.

Personally I'd steer well clear of an RF based solution. As DanD says you have to keep re-tuning as you drive which is a pain, it's prone to interference from taxis, emergency services or something as simple as over-head cables and the quality is only ever going to be as good as FM radio and often sounds more akin to AM in my experience.

I will be fitting a Bluetooth audio enabled HU when I get my car using the BeatSonic adapter. Cartronics now stock them so you don't have to faff around with US or Japanese import.

http://www.cartronics.co.uk/Cartronics-blog/BeatSonic-Now-Available-from-Cartronics

I'm going to ask for a quote to install so I'll post that here although I suspect a home install wouldn't be too tricky.

I'm using a Yatour YT-06. It plugs into the back of the standard head unit and emulates a CD player. I can play audio from the SD card slot in the YT-06 or from any device (I have a personal DAB) using the line in function. I believe Yatour have a Bluetooth enabled version as well. 

The  unit cost me about £50 and took me about an hour to fit :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2016 at 1:25 PM, Assa1974 said:

Personally I'd steer well clear of an RF based solution. As DanD says you have to keep re-tuning as you drive which is a pain, it's prone to interference from taxis, emergency services or something as simple as over-head cables and the quality is only ever going to be as good as FM radio and often sounds more akin to AM in my experience.

I will be fitting a bluetooth audio enabled HU when I get my car using the BeatSonic adapter. Cartronics now stock them so you don't have to faff around with US or Japanese import.

http://www.cartronics.co.uk/Cartronics-blog/BeatSonic-Now-Available-from-Cartronics

I'm going to ask for a quote to install so I'll post that here although I suspect a home install wouldn't be too tricky.

I received a quote of £349 for the Beatsonic unit. A tad expensive but I cannot see any other way of adding an after-market HU properly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links