Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt On Gs300 2005 Mk3?

MickeyGS

Am I right in thinking that although the timing belt should be replaced on some Lexus models at 100,000 miles or 10 years, this does not apply to the 2005 onwards Mk3 GS300? If it doesn't apply, why is that? I'm asking because my 2005 GS is now of course coming up for 10 years old. Thanks.

Probably because it uses a timing chain on this engine not a belt :)

So apart from making sure the engine oil is replaced at the specified times with the correct type and grade no other maintainance is generally required on chain driven engines.

Cam chains have been much improved over the years virtually eliminating stretching so are making a comeback combined with improved tensioners but as above oil lubrication plays an important part in their lifespan.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I have a GS30, 2001, does that mean it will be chain driven as well, it had 87000 miles on the clock, so will need a cambelt service if it isisn't? Also, as a guide, how much will it cost? Cheers, Dave

Hi there, I have a GS30, 2001, does that mean it will be chain driven as well, it had 87000 miles on the clock, so will need a cambelt service if it isisn't? Also, as a guide, how much will it cost? Cheers, Dave

Whilst the vehicle is a 2001 the engine design is 1991 and so uses a belt. The belt should have been changed when the vehicle was 10 years old so it may have already been done.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a nightmare week with Lexus. Was out last Wednesday everything running fine. Suddenly the petrol engine cut out so I parked up and tried to restart. Horrid spluttering and the car turned for about 10 secs then cut out. Called RAC. 2 sensors per cam reporting faults so got the car taken to Lexus.

ONE WEEK LATER, today, they tell me the timing chain has gone and I need a new engine. 16.5K + VAT. WHAAAAAT?

Car is 2006 450h 150K. No warning apart from last service where they said they say oil spots on the housing, had it a year and been servicing with Lexus under service plan.

Guys I need your help PLEASE.

Sorry to hear this Mark. Not sure what you can do other than, either through your dealer or directly, speak with the Lexus department at Toyota GB to see if they can help. If they haven't specified a replacement interval or even put inspection into the service schedule how are owners meant to prevent this from happening.

Otherwise you would need to give an engine from a rear ended written off vehicle.