Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 220D Se Or Se-L, But What About The 250? Help!

JamieD

Hi,

May I ask for your experienced advise?

I am looking to purchase an IS 220D before the end of this month (Jan2015), however as I'm brand new to the Lexus family, I'm hoping you could point me in the right direction to make the right decision as to which one?

We have a family car for the Mrs and kids so this is purely for me to work and weekends.

My budget ideally is @£4750 for a 2006/7/8 if poss.

Preferred spec would be 2 owners, as much of a Lexus service history as possible, 2 keys etc...

As for the car itself, dark body, leather interior, Sat Nav, rear camera, sun roof (There don't seem to be many with a sunroof is that because there have been issues in the past?) and as long as there's a full service history, not too worried about relatively high mileage.

I expect to do anywhere between 8-11k a year, but as the specs are high anyway is the SE-L that much better than the SE?

As my miles aren't huge, are there advantages with opting for the 250?

If you take the time to read this and leave feedback it would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jamie

Will it be motorway miles you will be mostly doing? If so go for the diesel.

Also worth noting is the high tax price of the 250 if its an older model,before 58plate i think.

• Like 1

Zoran, thanks for the heads up and that's my dilemma.

I live on the south coast so I would say 20% urban, 30% on dual carriage ways with (too many!) roundabouts with the remaining 50% on motorways.

I've read about the filter getting clogged up if you don't give the engine a good run, but at what motorway % is it classed as a good run against the rest of your driving?

The Tax is a killer, but am I right in thinking that a diesel engine can be mega expensive to fix compared to the 250's petrol so is the extra tax a gamble worth taking?

J

250 SE-L no argument .... be worth you reading the forums regarding the diesels

There's not a lot of choice to be had for the SE-L models (pre-facelift) looks like people hold onto them for quite a while and when they come up for sale they go quick.

• Like 1

Forget the diesel. Agricultural gearbox, 6th gear completely useless. Noisy engine sounds like a London cab. I know, I had one. Direct from Lexus with 40k and full dealer history. Dreadful. IS250 Auto is a much better car for the low miles you do.

• Like 1

I got is220d. Se-l 2006 go for petrol make sure it's got 2 keys as cost 300 if u gonna do loads of motorway then go for diesal other wise petrol is much better I will change mine in next few months to is250 gears on is220d is notchy that's y they stopped doing a manual mines got nearly 86000 if don't drive for 3 days feels sluggish only noticed it when it went in for body repair for 3 days @ felt had no power put v power diesel @ ran it on motorway. @ it's fine se- l has more toys

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your feedback.

I'll do further research, but for my circumstances it sounds like the 250 is the one to go for.

is250 Newbie - with regards to the forums is there one in particular that you're thinking of?

Thanks,

Jamie

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links