Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Test Drove A Isf

So, hi guys!!

I'll try and spare all the usual fluff about how great the car is that these posts contain, and get straight to the point!

It's a Blue ISF with cream leather (by far the most striking combination, though I do worry about cream leather), on a 2010 (59) which I understand is the facelift (black centre console surround and blue accent on steering wheel).

The car has done a hefty 64k miles, it's running on cheap rubber, and the discs have a bit of a lip all round. However, as I'm not a mechanic,what should I be looking for, or features I should make sure work? It's hard enough trying to take everything in when you're learning the car, and all it's basic functions for the first time (while going full bore :devil: ), to really start analysing features and functions you might not even know exist!

Seeing as it only comes with a basic indie trader 6 month warranty, I just have this anxiety in the back of my head, that it's a 55k car, that will have a 55k type repair bill!

Something about yolo keeps springing to mind though...

Shame there is no manufacturers extended warranty for your peace of mind BUT they are so reliable it shouldn't put you off. There is nothing to check in terms of mechanical issues. There is a recall coming up but won't have been done yet. Discs and pads all around is 1500 odd from a stealer but can be had for cheaper if you bought and had parts fitted outside of the dealer. Tyres also aren't cheap at minimum of 180 ish/corner for a premium tyre.

Check the wheels for any dodgy reverb jobs. Mine were awful. Also, check the callipers as they can flake. I have a daughter so cream leather was out of the question for me but does look good.

Stu

Shame there is no manufacturers extended warranty for your peace of mind BUT they are so reliable it shouldn't put you off. There is nothing to check in terms of mechanical issues. There is a recall coming up but won't have been done yet. Discs and pads all around is 1500 odd from a stealer but can be had for cheaper if you bought and had parts fitted outside of the dealer. Tyres also aren't cheap at minimum of 180 ish/corner for a premium tyre.

Check the wheels for any dodgy reverb jobs. Mine were awful. Also, check the callipers as they can flake. I have a daughter so cream leather was out of the question for me but does look good.

Stu

Thanks Stu, good input.

Incredibly pricey for a set of discs.... :crying:

The only thing I noticed was a slight creak in what I assume was the suspension, when I pulled up on the kerb. Is this a known issue, or general wear and tear (I believe this was a lexus demo car).

If its the blue one on autotrader at £23k be careful. Its been for sale for quite sometime and they advertise as full service history which is untrue. It has three services missing including the 60k miles which should of already been done, plus way over the recommended 10k miles between services.

If its the blue one on autotrader at £23k be careful. Its been for sale for quite sometime and they advertise as full service history which is untrue. It has three services missing including the 60k miles which should of already been done, plus way over the recommended 10k miles between services.

If this is the case then walk away! Cheap tyres was the first sign I guess. Why a person would put budget rubber on a performance car is beyond me.

The creaking you are asking about is not something I have heard of. Also, warranties offered by these are ******* so don't rely on it. If you live near chelmsford you are welcome to look at mine for a comparrison. Mine is 2008 though,

Stu

Oh, that doesn't bode well! I hadn't actually checked the service book, though the chap went on about FLSH from twickenham I think.

The computer also stated that the engine oil needed to be done. Does the car detect this, or is it simply a reminder as for some of the other parts?

Hmm, perhaps I'll be walking away from this one then!

I'm sick to death of seeing cars described as having full service history, when they obviously have missed services.

Regarding this car, cheap tyres on a performance car, misdescribed, and a shonky warranty (probably), would see me heading to a main dealer with a nicer car and proper warranty.

There is a March 2010 on a 10 plate at Lexus Hedge End for £25k, with only 37,000 miles on the clock. It is also the best colour (mesa red of course) and has black seats. That would seem a much better bet and I'd be amazed if they wouldn't take £23,500 as its been there a couple of months.

It is a 09MY rather than the blue one which is 10MY, and there are a few minor differences but nothing significant unless your are the sort of driver who can tell the difference between different types of differential (or care about the difference).

PS. I remember reading somewhere that having tyres that do not conform to the manufacturer's load and speed ratings can make your insurance invalid. Even if that is just an internet rumour, I certainly wouldn't fancy driving an IS-F fitted with Slovakian Ditchfinders

There is a March 2010 on a 10 plate at Lexus Hedge End for £25k, with only 37,000 miles on the clock. It is also the best colour (mesa red of course) and has black seats. That would seem a much better bet and I'd be amazed if they wouldn't take £23,500 as its been there a couple of months.

It is a 09MY rather than the blue one which is 10MY, and there are a few minor differences but nothing significant unless your are the sort of driver who can tell the difference between different types of differential (or care about the difference).

That one was previously up for sale at the Toyota garage in Bolton and had dropped it to 23k with no takers so I'm presuming Hedge End paid even less to get it. Been up for sale now for over 6 months so I recon they would deal at £23k

Another point to mention is the colour of the wheels - they've been refurbed no doubt and are not standard colour. Also, take a look at the locking nuts - theyre black - that either means theyve been changed or theyre corroded - which in turn shows the strength of chemicals used on the car.

If you want a blue with cream leather one - get the proveeda one on autotrader with 35k miles on the clock. If youre not too concerned about the colour the silver 58 reg one looks good. Apparently he's selling due to a new RC-F coming so Im sure itd be treated well.

Have to echo what the guys have said: I cannot believe that anyone paying all that money for a performance car only to service it when they feel like it is beyond me.

I'd sell you mine for £23k (and it's been Molly-coddled for all its 25k miles!)

It depends what people want to pay; you were considering paying that amount for a 59 plate .........with 64k miles! The lower mileage 58 plates (not an 08 btw) for sale at the moment are circa £25k and mine has way less miles than any of them. It's also been serviced 6 times over its 25k miles.

I was jk anyway as I'm not selling it yet :)

It depends what people want to pay; you were considering paying that amount for a 59 plate .........with 64k miles! The lower mileage 58 plates (not an 08 btw) for sale at the moment are circa £25k and mine has way less miles than any of them. It's also been serviced 6 times over its 25k miles.

I was jk anyway as I'm not selling it yet :)

Indeed, law of supply and demand.

Maybe. I just wouldn't be comfortable paying 50% of rrp for a car that's 6.5 years old. Admittedly that blue one is obviously not a great example, but it is a facelift with the improvements that carries. But perhaps you're right...

I'm noticing a similar trend with the 370z. Despite the cost of it new dropping to 26k for a base model. 4+ year old examples are sticking at around 18k. As they're almost as rare as the isf!

Maybe. I just wouldn't be comfortable paying 50% of rrp for a car that's 6.5 years old. Admittedly that blue one is obviously not a great example, but it is a facelift with the improvements that carries. But perhaps you're right...

I'm noticing a similar trend with the 370z. Despite the cost of it new dropping to 26k for a base model. 4+ year old examples are sticking at around 18k. As they're almost as rare as the isf!

That's it chap. Very few about and good examples well looked after with possible extended warranty as an option are always going to command a higher premium and hold value pretty well.

You never know, if you are in no rush something may crop up eventually.

Stu

not sure why everyone is saying stay away from the IS-F.. its not like Yamaha/Toyota built the engine internals from butter in that if the oil is not changed at the 10k interval then everything in the engine starts melting..these things are over engineered and these manufactures took into account owners who might drive the extra 10 to 20,000 miles in between service schedules.

ok not sure how many prevoius owners the ISF had but based on Stevet's post it seems the owner went 20,000 miles between 14k to 34k service and 16,000 miles between 34k and 50k service which means it is due the 60k service. for all we know the previous owner might be opting for the extended drain fully synthetic engine oils which am aware are formulated and designed to last around 15 - 20,000 miles before they start falling apart. for all we know the prevois owner bought those budget tyres brand new as to get a good deal on a part ex of course he would get less if he traded in the IS-F with worn high performance tyres so tyres is not a big deal. i see it like this,, if one can spend £20+k on a car they can afford to spend £600 on tyres.

worth going for another test drive maybe ask the dealer if you can chuck about 20-30 quid of fuel in it as so you can spend a good hour 'driving' the thing. i.e through traffic, open roads, dual carriage ways etc and if no engine lights pops up, car shifts through all 8 gears and reverse, engine note sounds like its suppose to and not over heating, passes HPI check then thats all you need to seal the deal.

you could even get the dealer to knock off a grand or two if you mention the service intervals including the 60k service not being done and budget tyres. money saved off that could go staright to Lexus for the big 60k service to be carried out which i believe includes spark plugs, and all fluids drained and refilled. the rest could go towards high performance tyres and maybe new disks and pad if they due one. you do have 6 months warranty and i have checked the delaers stock list and they stock cars from Evo's, Masserati's, Bentley's to Aston Martins so wont seem like the sort who will fob you off if and when something goes wrong. alternatively money saved from haggling can go towards buying extended warranty either direclty from Lexus or warrantywise.co.uk

maybe worth having a proper test drive and if you have time you can always discuss the 6 months warranty they offer in more details.

I don't agree and the budget tyres, lack of service at appropriate times new discs and probably pads needed as well as the expensive 60k service. Looks like the thick end of 2.5k needs to be spent on it.

Also makes me think that of the car was bumped or damaged the owner would have skimped on repairs and for me throws in to question how well the car has been looked after.

Stu

i know what you mean Stu but most of the things you have listed like tyres, pads, discs, are all wear and tear parts which every car goes through at some point in its life time so shouldn't be a problem. its due a 60k service and for all we know the previous owner was not going to keep it for long to justify the expense of getting it done. any bumps or damage can happen to any car which was serviced every 10k miles aswell and so long as a repair has been carried out by an approved garage it will take a pro to spot it so not sure what's there to be concerned about so this is just speculating.

if the OP really wants the 2010 model in the exact colour and trim then what's the harm in going for a second test drive where he can spend time with the car and asses any concerns or issues. I personally would lean towards car which has been services every 10k miles but if i came across one which was drove an extended 5-10k miles between services, it wont be an issue since any obvious issues could be spotted once you go a viewing. I also agree not all issues can be spotted by a buyer during a brief test drive. hence the 6 months waaranty being chucked in and as already confirmed this dealer does not seem like those that might fob you off since their stock list on AutoTrader shows some high end performance cars so am assuming their reputation is at stake if they operate in that manner.

the option to haggle a few grand off is there which as i already mentioned can go towards the big 60k service, tyres and brakes.

the only way to find out if this car is not performing due to the extended service intervals is to stick it on a dyno and compare it to one which has been serviced every 10k miles. but for now its all speculation that's my personal view on this.

I'm with the majority saying give this one a miss I'm afraid! :(

The cheap tires, need for new rotors, repainted alloys etc, wouldn't worry me too much.

The lack of servicing and the above issues would be a big concern. It shows the last owner didn't look after the car properly at all.

Whilst I agree to an extent that the car is pretty bullet-proof, abuse will still have an effect at some point.

With prices as they are, you would be better off waiting for something that has been looked after the way these cars deserve.

The facelift options are a big factor I concede, but not at the cost of proper care and maintenance.

You can just imagine the idiot thrashing the life out of the poor thing before it warms up, not giving it time to cool down before switching it off etc.

Negligence will kill a car no matter how well built.

I'm sure something else will turn up as more RC-F's come on the market (saw a good priced silver 08 on Autotrader for this reason the other day).

Just my opinion. :)

I'm with the majority saying give this one a miss I'm afraid! :(

The cheap tires, need for new rotors, repainted alloys etc, wouldn't worry me too much.

The lack of servicing and the above issues would be a big concern. It shows the last owner didn't look after the car properly at all.

Whilst I agree to an extent that the car is pretty bullet-proof, abuse will still have an effect at some point.

With prices as they are, you would be better off waiting for something that has been looked after the way these cars deserve.

The facelift options are a big factor I concede, but not at the cost of proper care and maintenance.

You can just imagine the idiot thrashing the life out of the poor thing before it warms up, not giving it time to cool down before switching it off etc.

Negligence will kill a car no matter how well built.

I'm sure something else will turn up as more RC-F's come on the market (saw a good priced silver 08 on Autotrader for this reason the other day).

Just my opinion. :)

One thing...Not giving it time to cool before switching off? This isn't an old school turbo here. Why would you need to do that?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links