Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is High Octane Fuel Good

john leeds

Hi, I build petrol stations and my clients /owners keep telling me to use the high octane fuel but I have always believed it's only good for cars with turbos, I only use shell standard fuel at the moment with an occasional BP thrown in, can anyone tell me what if any difference it would make to change, your views will be greatly appreciated, thanks john.

It should give you a little more mpg as the engine can run a slightly more advanced ignition timing. Typically it takes a tank or two before you see any difference, although you can accelerate the ECU learning by disconnecting the Battery.

From my personal experience with a GS430 (same engine as the SC) the difference in economy didn't justify the cost difference, certainly not in my area where super unleaded seems very expensive. No real noticeable difference in power of the engine, not that you really get much of a chance to use all the V8 power anyway on UK roads.

Give it a try, Shell V-power is probably the best, if for nothing else other than the additional detergents. You need to keep using it though, no point in doing an odd fill up with normal unleaded otherwise you have to go through the learning cycle again.

There is no need for it though, the Lexus V8 running happily on standard UK unleaded fuel.