Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lpg Installation Recommend

The average price of LPG in the UK is currently about £0.61/ltr (not sure where Mike above gets it for 44p?). The average price for petrol is £1.07 / ltr.

Based on this and around 25mpg for petrol and 20mpg for LPG and covering say 12000 miles a year. Petrol cost would be £2,311.20, and LPG would be £1,647.00. This gives an annual difference of £664.20. You will also use some petrol as the car uses it until warmed up, so the saving may be in the order of £500.00 per year. As the differential if petrol and LPG decreases, the time required to recoup the cost of an installation will obviously increase.

Average prices are from www.petrolprices.com

Chewy

The average price of LPG in the UK is currently about £0.61/ltr (not sure where Mike above gets it for 44p?). The average price for petrol is £1.07 / ltr.

Based on this and around 25mpg for petrol and 20mpg for LPG and covering say 12000 miles a year. Petrol cost would be £2,311.20, and LPG would be £1,647.00. This gives an annual difference of £664.20. You will also use some petrol as the car uses it until warmed up, so the saving may be in the order of £500.00 per year. As the differential if petrol and LPG decreases, the time required to recoup the cost of an installation will obviously increase.

Average prices are from www.petrolprices.com

Chewy

Calor Gas station (no petrol forcourt) at Mortimer Station.

I explained in an earlier post that it is 53p a litre and for regular customers they run a scheme that each time you visit you get a 1p off per litre per visit adding up to 10p a litre when you go back to 1p off and start all over again. Well worth it when you are running 3 cars on LPG. Mike

• Like 1

Got an email of Pro Wales appologising that it is £1200+VAt not £200+VAt.

They either thought I was a idiot or a true mistake.

That has to be a genuine mistake. We all make them. Mike

Chewy, it's 56p/litre in Eastbourne and Hailsham, and there is little or no competition round here.

Traditionally the Midlands have cheaper prices, so probably sub 50p there.

I think Mike has a card whereby price drops by 1p a litre every time you fill, up to 10p/litre off, then start again, so guess that's how he paid 46.

Edit:- sorry, posted at same time as above, so hadn't seen Mikes posts.

• Like 1

Just checked on filllpg site and there is a 39.9p/litre in Birmingham as well as a handful nearby in the forties, so the roughly half price still applies in many parts of the country, if not all.

Hi Mike,

Wish our garage did an offer like that - but 44p is not what you always then?

Chewy

No. Next time I go I will get it for 43p then its back to 53p and then the cycle starts again, still works out as a no brainer for LPG over petrol. Mike

I had my LS430 done last year by Professional Autogas for a cost of £1500.

It's a Stag , guaranteed for life system that is outstanding, I have never yet felt a changeover and even when I'm not moving , if I switch the gas off and back on again there's absolutely no faltering.

I'm supremely happy with my installation.

• Like 1

With fuel prices coming down significantly, I'm still paying over the odds for LPG in Bedford at 65.9p a litre. It's a bit cheaper where I usually fill up in Luton but still a rip-off 62.9p a litre there though. They could take 10p a litre off that. Both are franchise BP stations. That tells you everything. Greedy shower.

With fuel prices coming down significantly, I'm still paying over the odds for LPG in Bedford at 65.9p a litre. It's a bit cheaper where I usually fill up in Luton but still a rip-off 62.9p a litre there though. They could take 10p a litre off that. Both are franchise BP stations. That tells you everything. Greedy shower.

I am sorry for your loss. Seriously though that is well out of order. Even places in Hampshire that dont have any competition around them they are well under 60p a litre. Mike.

Hi Mike,

I found the following sentence on the UKPLG website:

"Insurance companies may not accept a conversion undertaken outside the UK as the vehicle would not appear on the Vehicle Register."

This does infer that any vehicle converted to LPG in the UK must be on the register to get insurance :-( Guess you are right

Chewy

Unfortunately the prices at the garages for LPG moves much slower than that of petrol. The garages shift much more petrol so fill up their site tanks more often and price changes can be reflected quite quickly. With LPG, they buy it at one price and then can take quite a while before they buy new stock at a lower price.

With regard to BP sites, I've nearly always found them to be a good bit more expensive than the rest.

Filling up at BP Hailsham the other day, there was a sign saying they didn't accept some BP card on lpg sales.

This was because Flogas supplied the lpg, hence the low price I suspect.

Mind you, if you want a real rip off, try buying a 6kg refill propane bottle.

That's about 12 litres and costs in excess of twenty quid, so over three times more expensive than pump gas, which I think is taxed at a higher rate, making it an even bigger rip off.

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

I found the following sentence on the UKPLG website:

"Insurance companies may not accept a conversion undertaken outside the UK as the vehicle would not appear on the Vehicle Register."

This does infer that any vehicle converted to LPG in the UK must be on the register to get insurance :-( Guess you are right

Chewy

Hi Chewy.

I hold you in high regard as it takes alot for someone to admit they were possibly wrong, especially on a public forum, you could have said nothing as I didnt have the will power to go through their website.

Mike