Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashboard Flashing

cabbos

DASHBOARD FLASHING!!!!!!! I know this is a common problem but does anyone know if Chris Vince still repairs them? Only just picked up car about 2 hrs ago and just started flashing ( didn't do it on test drive typical ) or is there someone closer to Kent area? (Malc?)

Thanks Del

Hi, the dashboard lights flicker and then eventually vanish permanently on the Mk1 and Mk2 cars.

Happened on my Mk2 after 14 years. I thoroughly investigated the fix and plumped for Chris Vince near Farnborough Hants.

I drove the car to him, he fed me coffees while he sorted the removal of the dash, the soldering and re-installation .. all in a short space of time and I think then for £70 ( not quite sure on that price now ........... and maybe 6 yrs ago now )

I had the offer to just zip the dash out and send it to him to fix and he would post it back for me to reinstall. Seemed best to me to bite the bullet and drive over to him so as not to lose using the car.

Others on here have found the skills to do the fix themselves, after all it is only the finer side of soldering !!! BUT tbh it was all a bit beyond me to do myself.

There is a tutorial somewhere on DIY and it's said to be simple ( if you know how ) ................ . as are most things in life.

Chris Vince was able to sort my problem quickly, efficiently and at minimal cost ( to my mind ).

I was happy with the result and quite enjoyed the day out.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it may be

Malc

I found his number on one of your old post Malc, and gave it a call (left message) hopefully get back to me. Not a good start to my Lexus ownership but at £1200 and 87000 miles I think it was reasonable bit of tlc and it should last awhile (fingers and toes crossed).

Where abouts in kent are you Malc?

DASHBOARD FLASHING!!!!!!! I know this is a common problem but does anyone know if Chris Vince still repairs them? Only just picked up car about 2 hrs ago and just started flashing ( didn't do it on test drive typical ) or is there someone closer to Kent area? (Malc?)

Thanks Del

It'll happen less when the weather warms up, but in really cold weather you can end up with a completely black dash for 5 minutes. A friend did mine for 20p, the cost of the part.

Is it obvious which part needs replacing ?

It's a tiny capacitor that needs replacing, sometimes the fuel gauge is slow to work so that capacitor can be replaced at the same time if faulty. I've got all the info somewhere. If no one else has it I'll find it tomorrow and forward it to you. Not a big issue though, so don't let it spoil your enjoyment of a fine car!

Thanks The-Acre that would be great, to add to the problem took the misses to work this morning to find the lights on the radio/heating control are on when headlights off, then go off when i turned the headlights on, so would changing the capacitors likely to fix problem? Or is this a separate issue?

............ a separate issue I would think, maybe you need a good autoelectrician to sort it out for you unless someone on here knows an answer..

btw, I sent you a msg !

Malc

Thanks The-Acre that would be great, to add to the problem took the misses to work this morning to find the lights on the radio/heating control are on when headlights off, then go off when i turned the headlights on, so would changing the capacitors likely to fix problem? Or is this a separate issue?

I think that's a separate issue, not sure what but I'm sure someone will know.

............ a separate issue I would think, maybe you need a good autoelectrician to sort it out for you unless someone on here knows an answer..

btw, I sent you a msg !

Malc

Just seen msg flag on top I'll have a read Malc

Hi Derek, this is the tutorial for removing the cluster, quite easy really, I did mine without any problems.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/electrical/instrumentcluster.html

The only image I have of the inside is a bit crumpled but it does show it clearly enough I think. It's the small board (C212) and you can get the capacitor at Maplins for a few pence. The one I replaced wasn't metal like the original, but as long as it's 10uf/16v that's fine. Just try to avoid static and dust. Disconnect the Battery and wait two minutes before dismantling.

Unless you have a very fine soldering iron, and a very steady hand, it may be best to just get someone else to do the work, it'll only take them a few minutes.

post-32919-0-97191500-1422473418_thumb.j

Cheers The-Acre (Phil) been looking up capacitors got a Maplins near me will go there at the weekend, I have noticed when cluster flashes my fuel gauge drops to zero and up slowly then fast. I presume its the fuel gauge capacitor that's at fault.

Cheers The-Acre (Phil) been looking up capacitors got a Maplins near me will go there at the weekend, I have noticed when cluster flashes my fuel gauge drops to zero and up slowly then fast. I presume its the fuel gauge capacitor that's at fault.

When the cluster is removed it makes sense to replace all 3 capacitors, as a fuel gauge that's slow to show its true reading means another is failing. You certainly don't want to remove it twice!

Apparently,Toyota used poor quality caps when they built these, which is slightly surprising. Keep us posted.

Having looked at Maplins available stock it appears they have nothing suitable, most of their capacitors are 85 degree rating not 105 degree and they are at that non specific manufacturers.

If you PM your address I would be glad to send you the 3 parts needed which will be high quality Japanese parts.

If you were closer I would have fitted them for you.

When removing the cluster move the steering wheel down and out all the way then disconnect the negative Battery lead.

Do not power up the car with the cluster disconnected or you will have to reset the airbag system.

Thanks Steve looked on Maplins website too, I think I found a site called uk.farnell.com have some but I think they are for trade was going to call today. Will pm my address thanks for offer but I think your just a little too far :(

Having looked at Maplins available stock it appears they have nothing suitable, most of their capacitors are 85 degree rating not 105 degree and they are at that non specific manufacturers.

If you PM your address I would be glad to send you the 3 parts needed which will be high quality Japanese parts.

When removing the cluster move the steering wheel down and out all the way then disconnect the negative battery lead.

Do not power up the car with the cluster disconnected or you will have to reset the airbag system.

Hi Steve I have PM'd you not sure if you got it?

When removing the cluster move the steering wheel down and out all the way then disconnect the negative battery lead.

Hi Steve I have PM'd you not sure if you got it?

Yes got your details will sort on Monday for you.