Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Top Gear - bit like a chinese take away, you have one and then feel hungry half an hour later.

So if ever I am bothered to be in the room when my lad is watching it, I feel like I need some real TV afterwards (does not even need to be program about cars).

Most of the time I leave the room and go do something useful

• 2 weeks later...

New Classic Car programme is growing on me a bit !!! ...... well, ever since the 26th Feb one shows a Porsche 288 around my neck of the woods in Kent ............. Sheppey

.............. of course that wonderful Citroen DS convertible, oh so like the style of that car ( shame about the occupants tho' )

Malc

A genuine DS convertible (Heuliez) will now cost you circa £150K!!

Cotswold Cars did a few conversions of their own in the 70s-I bet even they would cost a few £££s.

Still my favourite car-had 4. When I started my cafe in 1979, I hoped to last long enough to (go from penury to...)buy a good stereo and a DS23.

Had both in 2 years......and cafe still going!

But, when I borrowed a DS in 2003 to do a friend's wedding, it felt like a truck after my Lexus!

But the style still catches you.

Also in the Monaco clip on the Car progr, was a brief glimpse of a 'Wicker' Fiat 500 convertible that is worth a lot.

The CRINGE factor between the two of them is now off the scale, even recording the program and watch with lots of fast forward and the sound off doesn't really help. Great shame because the cars are great. Mike.

• Like 3

The CRINGE factor between the two of them is now off the scale, even recording the program and watch with lots of fast forward and the sound off doesn't really help. Great shame because the cars are great. Mike.

Absolutely agree.

After improving slightly in prog 2, they have slipped back to zero chemistry, though I missed this weeks, so will watch it on iplayer when I get home.

When you think about it, good car programs have been thin on the ground over many years.

• Like 1

Guy Martin great character, just watched him in our Guy in india (very good) he reminds me of a modern day fred Dibnah, also channel 4's Car sos is very good, and classic car rescue with Bernie and Mario although staged is hilarious. :whistling:

• Like 1

When comparing 4x4 cars the performance off-road is often down to the tyres. It was never made clear what they were running. The RX would almost certainly be on road tyres. If the Range Rover had been on off-road, yes that would go some way to explaining it.

In any case, they were comparing an off-road car trying to be a luxury car, with a luxury car trying to be an off-road car. Up a slippery slope and the outcome was probably inevitable.

Hi Beejay, When I saw the Lexus struggling to get up the incline that was the first thing I thought, different tyres and you can bet your bottom dollar you are right. There was no way they wanted to see the Range Rover beaten. Mike

That's true about the tyres. QW assumes he is speaking to viewers who know nothing about cars. He appeared to seriously be trying to convince usthat a 40 year old Range Rover is better than a new RX. Firstly, if I had a classic Rangie, worth 40 - 50K (realistically about half of what QW claimed they are worth), I would not spend much time thrashing it up hill and down dale. Secondly, on any journey, long or short, the Lexus would at least have an even chance of getting there and back without breaking down (every car I seem to have passed on the motorway awaiting recovery lately seems to be a land Rover or a range Rover). The refinement, performance, creature comforts etc are not even in the same league. I like Land Rovers, and appreciate the heritage etc., but I've never come close to buying one as I prefer to spend most of my time in cars than underneath them with a spanner. Be realistic, Quentin, the RR was great in its time and is good now, but don't try to tell us it's better than modern vehicles.

I tried to watch the latest episode but the combination of the smarmy delivery of QW, the spectacular absence of any evidence of a personality in Jodie Kidd, and the spontaneous, scripted unfunny banter made me squirm and I had to delete it from my sky box. I prefer the other guy, who covered the military vehicles, he is OK. IMHO the way forward is to ditch the other two, and partner the guy with glasses with Guy Martin, who could also discuss the engineering and maintenance side of these gorgeous cars.

• Like 1

I hate the Land Rovers with a passion. In my younger years I had a part time job with a Garage in Ickenham Middlesex which was right outside the USAF West Rusilip and they had a contract to take all abandoned American (something to do with no import duty being paid an them) cars up to USAF Mildenhall Suffolk a journey of 90 miles, they were then flown back to the States.

I used to hook up these 2 ton+ monsters onto the back of just a normal Land Rover which didnt even have a proper metal cab but just a canvas cover over the top. There was no heater and very little steering as these huge beasts were so heavy it used to lift the front of LR off the ground, even though they had filled the front bumper with lead and ingots of lead strapped into the engine bay, spare wheel strapped to the bonnet. My max speed was 20 mph and that was pushing it. After 7/8 hours I would arrive absolutely frozen in the winter time. The Americans were always very hospitable and always made sure I was well fed in their little piece of America on English soil. That was the only thing that made the drive worth going for because you only saw this part of America in films. They had all their Burger and Chicken joints just as if you were in the States but all to soon the journey home would rear its ugly head but it only used to take a few hours to get home. Ten shillings I used to get to drive that awful piece of garbage, I have never liked them since. Mike

• Like 1

I feel the same about Minis, in particular the van version.

I had a Saturday job in the sixties, delivering meat in a brand new minivan.

I was only in the damned thing for four hours, but even as a reasonably athletic 17 year old, I was bent double by the time I finished my shift.

Much preferred the Viva based Bedford that preceded it.

• Like 1

Sorry, just realised there are three different threads discussing last nights TG, the above post referred to one of the others.

I'm easily confused these days.