Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My guess is he knows what the problem is hes just not letting on. I dont think anyone would let the car without having checked what is leaking and from where. Mike

When he declined my suggestion that I send a mobile mechanic round at my expense I came to the same conclusion. Could be wrong. I am currently thinking Ireland offers the best value, as 1800 euro a year for tax is a killer for older vehicles.

My guess is he knows what the problem is hes just not letting on. I dont think anyone would let the car without having checked what is leaking and from where. Mike

When he declined my suggestion that I send a mobile mechanic round at my expense I came to the same conclusion. Could be wrong. I am currently thinking Ireland offers the best value, as 1800 euro a year for tax is a killer for older vehicles.

but john isnt it false economy becuase you have to pay import duty tax vat ec?

No. I have spoken to the DVLA and as it's EU there is no problem. Plus a lot of the Eire cars were originally bought in UK, and she told me you just get your original reg. back when you register it. There seem to be almost as many LS430s for sale in Ireland as there are in the UK at present.

However if anyone on the forum has ever imported a car from Ireland I would be delighted to hear from them.Nothing beats personal experience.

No. I have spoken to the DVLA and as it's EU there is no problem. Plus a lot of the Eire cars were originally bought in UK, and she told me you just get your original reg. back when you register it. There seem to be almost as many LS430s for sale in Ireland as there are in the UK at present.

However if anyone on the forum has ever imported a car from Ireland I would be delighted to hear from them.Nothing beats personal experience.

I looked into it recently with the help of William (LOC member) who lives in Eire and its just a paper excersise I didnt go ahead because William kindly went and saw the car and it was a case of "all that glitters" Mike

I looked into it recently with the help of William (LOC member) who lives in Eire and its just a paper excersise I didnt go ahead because William kindly went and saw the car and it was a case of "all that glitters" Mike

Interesting. Is that BilMac, who has a very nice 430? And is the car he looked at for you still on offer? Presumably this big tax is hitting 400s too. I am only looking at the 430 as my research suggests it has the best headroom.

Jon

Interesting. Is that BilMac, who has a very nice 430? And is the car he looked at for you still on offer? Presumably this big tax is hitting 400s too. I am only looking at the 430 as my research suggests it has the best headroom.

Jon

Hi Jon, Yes thats Bilmac, sorry should have put his LOC ID. I have no idea if the LS he went to look at for me is still available, I just know that William said it was a complete basket case. Mike

I have messaged him about this and his reply was that he's a computer guy and not a mechanic. He told me he went on a forum with his issue and it was established there that it was a gearbox leak. ....

• 3 months later...

Yes, I have got the same problem atf in coolant and vice versa, did not drive the car once it happened had to be relayed 309 miles.

The gearbox still worked of sorts just a slight lumpy change from first to second, no funny noises so it might not be a complete write off.

I changed the radiator and flushed the cooling system.

I now need a method to get the contaminated fluid out of the gearbox, can I pump out via the return cooler pipe at approximately 1.5-2 litres at a time and replace with the same so I gradually remove the water/fluid mix using the gearbox pump., although pink the mixture is a lot more fluid than water as it is very oily.

Would appreciate any input on this problem

Alan

Yes, I have got the same problem atf in coolant and vice versa, did not drive the car once it happened had to be relayed 309 miles.

The gearbox still worked of sorts just a slight lumpy change from first to second, no funny noises so it might not be a complete write off.

I changed the radiator and flushed the cooling system.

I now need a method to get the contaminated fluid out of the gearbox, can I pump out via the return cooler pipe at approximately 1.5-2 litres at a time and replace with the same so I gradually remove the water/fluid mix using the gearbox pump., although pink the mixture is a lot more fluid than water as it is very oily.

Would appreciate any input on this problem

Alan

Some people do drain their gearbox by taking a litre at a time from the hose via the gearbox pump, it may take a long time to fully flush it though, and it's not cheap. I hope you manage to salvage it. What was the indication that it first happened? I've just recently diverted mine away from the transmission to a cooler to avoid this very problem, although with a new radiator it'll be OK for some time.

Reading other comments from past victims of this problem you may not be able to restore it unfortunately.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links