Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Coolant Reservior Shows Empty But It Coolant Is Topped Up

Hey.

I have a Lexus IS200 2001 Manual. I have noticed that it was losing coolant, so I used a sealant poured into the coolant reservior. This was about three months ago. The sealant did its job. However, I checked the coolant reservior level it says its empty. By this I mean, the see through plastic did not indicate any water level. I opened the coolant cap, it shows me plenty of water. I tried to top it up but it overfilled. Now the radiator is full and it holds the water rather steadily. The mechanic wants to change the whole system, which I think is just waste of money and a decent radiator.

It is worthy mentioning that I get steamy windows on the inside, which according to my knowledge refers to heat matrix leak. But the most furstrating bit is the level of coolant showing empty while clearly it is full.

Any help is greatly greatly appreciated.

Hey.

I have a Lexus IS200 2001 Manual. I have noticed that it was losing coolant, so I used a sealant poured into the coolant reservior. This was about three months ago. The sealant did its job. However, I checked the coolant reservior level it says its empty. By this I mean, the see through plastic did not indicate any water level. I opened the coolant cap, it shows me plenty of water. I tried to top it up but it overfilled. Now the radiator is full and it holds the water rather steadily. The mechanic wants to change the whole system, which I think is just waste of money and a decent radiator.

It is worthy mentioning that I get steamy windows on the inside, which according to my knowledge refers to heat matrix leak. But the most furstrating bit is the level of coolant showing empty while clearly it is full.

Any help is greatly greatly appreciated.

I think you are trying to top up the coolant via the radiator cap. You may also need to top up the expansion tank to the left of the radiator cap.

Thank you for your reply. No, the radiator cap is metal while the coolan cap is made of plastic and a tube connected to it. The coolant reservior levels (Max and Min) do not indicate any coolant at all, but once I open the coolant reservior, the plastic cap, I find enough water there. Even if I put more coolant it floods outside with the levels (Max and Min) show no coolant between them. The radiator on the other hand does not leak and holds the water rather well as the it is always full.

I will check mine and see as I think I may be having the same problem. Had it serviced in January and noticed that the expansion tank reservoir is barely showing anything when the engine is up to temperature.

If you are opening the top and can see the coolant then what is the problem? However isn't there a piece of plastic inside the opening which stops you seeing directly into the reservoir? You have to fill it slowly otherwise it will just hit the plastic and spill over.

If it is actually is full and you aren't using pink/red coolant it can be difficult to see the water line on the side of the expansion tank. Shine a torch into the open top to see if that helps. There is no magic here, all it is is a plastic bottle filled with coolant and you look at the side to see where the level is.

http://teon.co/cars/lexus-is-petrol-is-200/manuals/51b71df7a1146032750000c4/chapters/weekly-checks/chapter_parts/checking-coolant-level

I guess the only other possibility is that the clear window on the side isn't actually part of the expansion bottle but a level gauge just fitted on the side, fed by tube at the bottom of the bottle which your sealant has blocked.

If you are opening the top and can see the coolant then what is the problem? However isn't there a piece of plastic inside the opening which stops you seeing directly into the reservoir? You have to fill it slowly otherwise it will just hit the plastic and spill over.

If it is actually is full and you aren't using pink/red coolant it can be difficult to see the water line on the side of the expansion tank. Shine a torch into the open top to see if that helps. There is no magic here, all it is is a plastic bottle filled with coolant and you look at the side to see where the level is.

http://teon.co/cars/lexus-is-petrol-is-200/manuals/51b71df7a1146032750000c4/chapters/weekly-checks/chapter_parts/checking-coolant-level

I guess the only other possibility is that the clear window on the side isn't actually part of the expansion bottle but a level gauge just fitted on the side, fed by tube at the bottom of the bottle which your sealant has blocked.

Thanks for your detailed help. I have forgot to mention that the coolant light comes on for few seconds before it disappears. This is why I was checking the coolant reservoir. Yes there is a plastic bottle indicating max and min, and this where my problem is, I cannot see any changes in the level between max and min but as you suggested I will try to use a red coolant, and see if there is any changes. The car does not overheat, as the radiator and coolant reservior consistently full.

All sorted. Lexus had a look and confirmed that I had no leaks on the radiator, hoses, expansion tank or the water pump. They also confirmed that they had changed the coolant in January 2015 when the car had a Major Essential service. I can only assume that the expansion tank was not topped up sufficiently. They have topped it up and it is showing at the maximum mark when the engine is up to normal operating temperature.

The issue as to whether the tank was filled with plain water does not arise for me as I have never had to top up since I bought the car in 2005. It has always had red coolant added when serviced.

Wissam I hope you get yours sorted.

I suspected a much as the car came out of the January service with no advisories.

Now I have to get a good quote for the timing belt, tensioner and idler. They quoted me £731 but said they would price match if I got a cheaper quote at another Lexus dealership.

If your looking to have the timing belt done you might as well have the water pump done too?makes sense(had all of mine done over 5 years ago including service for just over £550 by my local independent garage),will be looking to have it all done again next year.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links