Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs450H Vvt-I Belt Replacement

SimonG

Yes there are three chains.

There have been TSBs issued for that engine in the US for noisy startup and the fix is replacement gears on the intake camshafts. However this appears to be different, but almost certainly related to one of the chains/tensioners/gears.

Hi Colin

Many thanks for the info ....... Was this recall in the U.S. Only?

I recall seeing a recall for similar issues in the UK (aside from the valve spring recall which has been done) that I believe affected most Lexus cars with the 3.5ltr V6 and was surprised that the GS450h wasn't included as I thought it was basically the same engine.

Sorry Simon I didn't mean to imply I was specifically talking about the 450h implementation of the engine, merely that the engine design has had issues with noises related to the timing chains. The particular issue I was referring to, a TSB not a recall, was for cold startup noise. You don't seem to have the same issue as your noise isn't just for a second or two during startup.

There has also been a recall for the 2GR-FSE engine where bolts work loose on the VVTi intake sprockets, resulting in noise and poor running. This ended up being a recall on safety grounds because if all three bolts worked loose and the sprocket separated from the VVTi housing the engine would cut out whilst being driven.

The reason why the 450h wasn't included in the recall is because Toyota believe the cause is related to start up and the hybrid models start their engines slower and more smoothly compared to a vehicle/engine with a normal starter motor. You can read about all this here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ucm443883/rcdnn-13v395-1839.pdf

Personally I'd wonder if Toyota are 100% correct about the 450h not being affected so I'd certainly want to understand what is causing your noise just to rule this out.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Colin

My car does occasionally make a nast rattle on start-up which is sometimes accompanied by rough running for a few seconds where you can feel the car vibrating as if not firing on all 6 cylinders. I reported this to the Lexus dealer but never got anywhere as they say their are no outstanding recalls or TSB's on my car - it also does it very occasionally so difficult to reproduce.

I'll monitor things once the water pumps replaced as maybe this is adding to some of the strange noises I get from the engine.

Cheers

Simon G

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this is an old topic but I have got some strange rattle issue with GS300 2007/2008. The car has got Full Lexus History and only 67.000 miles on it. I bought it just over a month ago and this is my first timing chain car so maybe there is nothing to worry about and it is normal, but it sounds strange in my opinion. I have recorded this video, it is showing warmed up engine + cold engine ride starting at 00:50. This cold engine ride ratling can be heard inside of the car for about 4-5km until the engine has got some temperature.

There is clearly some rattling clicking that seems to be comming from top right side of the engine:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...