Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash Cam

If anyone is thinking of installing a dash cam then I recomend this one. I did not want any suction mounts or trailing wires. This one actually mimics the way Lexus have mounted the rain sensor and the rear view mirror so looks factory fitted. The picture quality is excellent.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311193970960?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I cut some black fablon to stick the camera to and hide it from the outside. The wire tucks into the head lining and trim down the front of the door shut then across to the middle fed from the socket in the center console arm rest.

Carcam1_zps27b7a8a7.jpg

A nice factory look installation.

carcam2_zps3dcd588f.jpg[/url[url=http://s251.photobucket.com/user/capese21/media/DSC_0295_zpseba406ba.jpg.html]DSC_0295_zpseba406ba.jpg]

• Like 1

Hey capese21,

Nice install and pics. Did you think about one for the rear? Did it take long to arrive?

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

I may add one to the rear at some point but a smaller one hidden at the top of the window. It took about a week to arrive from China. It is well made with an intuitive menu.

Ed. :lookaround:

Got the Blackvue DR650gw 2 channel, camera fitted neatly behind the mirror with the cables hidden out of sight. The rear camera is pretty small and hardly noticeable in your mirror. Good picture quality and has wifi capabilities to phones and tablets.

Got the Blackvue DR650gw 2 channel, camera fitted neatly behind the mirror with the cables hidden out of sight. The rear camera is pretty small and hardly noticeable in your mirror. Good picture quality and has wifi capabilities to phones and tablets.

Nice camera but I didnt want to spend that much to tight and would be worried about theives as my car is parked on the street most nights.

The one I installed also does GPS and has AV out to the ICE if required. Post up some pictures of the install it would be nice to compare. Mine looks factory and is not noticeable from the outside.

Ed :flowers:

Nice install. Not sure the shaded area at the top of gen 2 GS windscreen would be big enough for that though. I've got a Mini 0801 (the non GPS model) in my GS. Tucked up at the top edge of the screen by the mirror, it isn't obvious from the outside.

I've just ordered one from amazon that consists of a small camera for the front windscreen with a separate one for the rear screen.the main unit can either be fitted on the front screen or hiden away in the glovebox or similar.

Still got it hooked up to the power outlet under the centre armrest as the car only gets used about once a week. I had a look at the fuse box, down by the passenger footwell, you need to be a contortionist to get near it. I'll get round to hard wiring in a couple of months time and try and pick up a couple of micro fuse taps

I have an app on my android phone called autoguard blackbox pro, cost £1.76 I think and does the job just fine :D

An app on a phone is no substitute for a neatly installed dedicated dash camera which is fit and forget until needed with auto recording imho especially when other people are driving.

It is also a thread about fixed installations in the 2014 new shape IS250 / 300h with no trailing wires suction mounts etc not really about apps or software.

Your car looks nice great colour!!

Ed :flowers:

The thread is about "dash cam"

I took that to as including, but not limited to, wired installs,

Apologies if you feel my input doesn't belong, but I disagree as it does the same job as most types of dash cam

Apologies if you feel my input doesn't belong, but I disagree as it does the same job as most types of dash cam

All input is important!! I started the thread to show how neat and professional a dash cam can look as an alternative to dangling wires and suction mounts.

Contributing members have shown how good their installations are. Post a picture of yours!!

Ed :eerrrmm:

Perfectly legal to have in the U.K., but not too sure about some across the Chanel. The main purpose is to record what is happening in front of you, and behind if you have a two camera setup. The recordings can come in very handy should you be involved in an accident or something similar.

one word of warning its only legal as long as its not obscuring the view of the driver, or within the same area as used to denote any damage to windscreens for the purpose of the mot ( as a general rule). the problem could be interpreted by the police ( if stopped) the driver being able to view a tv screen. so placement, if a monitor type, is very important.

Could anyone explain to me the main purpose of the Dashcam?

Also, is it legal?

Cheers

There was a programme on the TV recently, I can't remember excatly what it was called, something like 'Car Crash Britain' I think. There were a couple of episodes and the content clearly demonstrated the value of having a dashcam fitted. It showed cyclists and motorcyclists with them fitted to their helmets too. Many truck drivers have them fitted too.

The video evidence in many cases was invaluable in resolving insurance issues.

If you have one with GPS fitted (like mine) you have to be sure when presenting your video evidence, that you were driving within the law, as it will obviously show your own speed at the time of the event.

one word of warning its only legal as long as its not obscuring the view of the driver, or within the same area as used to denote any damage to windscreens for the purpose of the mot ( as a general rule). the problem could be interpreted by the police ( if stopped) the driver being able to view a tv screen. so placement, if a monitor type, is very important.

Mounted by the rear view mirror is where most have them. On mine the screen switches off after a minute or two. The best thing about a fixed installation is fit and forget until needed.

Ed.

I see you have gone for the B40/A118 camera... What do you think and are you using the GPS module?

Hardwire kits are available on the Internet quite easily and have a voltage regulator inline (the ones I have seen anyway) for about £15.

I routed the cable across the top of the windscreen under the headlining and down the inside of the door pillar trim, cable tied under the dash and tucked in along the center console to the 12v socket where I have a splitter so can still use the socket.

The cable is not seen until it enters the console by the seat belt stalk. Black cable on the black console it is not noticeable

. This saved me tapping into wires in the fuse box which on a newish car with a warranty I didn't want to touch.

Ed. :flowers:

I eventually settled on the NextBase 402g Pro http://www.nextbase.co.uk/products/iN%252dCAR-CAM™-402%252dG-Professional.html

£150 at Halfords and they hard-wired it for an extra £30 - nice neat job too.

One thing I have found is that it is affecting my own driving. I am less likely to speed, or do anything 'rush of blood' - for the moment at least :)

conscious of the cam recording my speed and gps location etc - as well as audio (my swearing isn't as bad as I thought)... all these features can be disabled of course.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links