Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash Cam

Hi I was talking to a guy at work about getting one of these as he has one. He was told by his insurance that this is classed as a car modification and advised him to remove it. Any one have any thoughts? Had a look on google and all the results seem to suggest that a dash cam could reduce your insurance? which I'd thought to ask him which insurance company he was with.

Depends on the insurance company - some give discounts and others class it as a modification (which it is in all honesty as its not from factory). It may or may not help you and it depends on what the actual difference in premium is. Personally, Ive never even though about using a dash-cam.

Hi I was talking to a guy at work about getting one of these as he has one. He was told by his insurance that this is classed as a car modification and advised him to remove it. Any one have any thoughts? Had a look on google and all the results seem to suggest that a dash cam could reduce your insurance? which I'd thought to ask him which insurance company he was with.

Very interesting, particularly if it's not hard wired, because the same could be said of Satnav, or even a hands free phone mount? I think I'd ask the ins co for further clarification.

Having said that, any mod, such as changing the alloys should of course be declared, the question is, what constitutes a mod!

Well Just spoke to a very chirpy woman at hastings direct and have been told that they allow them and don't class them as a modification and apologised that they don't yet offer a discount for customers who don't have them installed. Hopefully I'll have mine in this time next week.

Anyone know how to post pictures here. I'll take some during installation if it is of benefit to others.

A very interesting thread. It got me thinking that surely it won't be long before all manufacturers will introduce factory fitted cameras as optional extra or even as standard, in the same way that sat navs are now standard in many cars. I hope Lexus get on this asap. I know BMW have introduced 360 degree cameras on their 'X' series: front, rear and integrated into the wing mirrors. Surely this is the way to go...

I can't see Toffee Pie's picture above but here is my mini 0806 install. It is virtually invisible from the outside and with the reflections on a bright day today I couldn't get the camera to capture it properly.

post-48926-0-45585100-1441979777_thumb.j

post-48926-0-91697400-1441979778_thumb.j

post-48926-0-17832200-1441979590_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

When i had a CT i installed a auto dimming rearview mirror and i took the feed for this from

the overhead light unit at the front of the car,i have just looked on eBay and the A118 only

take 400ma so if i where to install one i would be having a look up there for an ignition controlled

12v supply.

When i had a CT i installed a auto dimming rearview mirror and i took the feed for this from

the overhead light unit at the front of the car,i have just looked on ebay and the A118 only

take 400ma so if i where to install one i would be having a look up there for an ignition controlled

12v supply.

It runs on 5v so easier imho to run the cable down the door pillar and find a feed there for the 12v to 5v power supply to plug in. I used the socket in the cubby box as the supplied captive cable was easily long enough. There are though some fairly small 12v to 5v usb power supplies available if you want to spend more and they probably would fit under the headlining.

Ed.

the overhead light unit at the front of the car,i have just looked on ebay and the A118 only

12v supply.

It runs on 5v so easier imho to run the cable down the door pillar and find a feed there for the 12v to 5v power supply to plug in. I used the socket in the cubby box as the supplied captive cable was easily long enough. There are though some fairly small 12v to 5v usb power supplies available if you want to spend more and they probably would fit under the headlining.

Ed.

i have never used one i thought they ran off 12v Sorry

I will stick my neck out here and suggest that your black dots are totally safe! They are enamel and baked onto the surface of the glass so there is no chance your adhesive will have any effect on them. I am willing to be proven wrong but I have never heard of anyone removing an installation and causing damage. it makes sense to use the black dot surface, especially with the A118 if you are using the cable cover as it is quite long and could be fairly noticeable. Even on my mini 0806 installation pictured in this thread, using the black dots means I can keep the camera as high as possible of the windscreen out of sight and with the best vantage point looking forward.