Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

When you are on a hill if you press the brake hard it will make a stand still and will not move one bit on the MK3 which I thought was brilliant.

Unfortunately this does not happen on the MK4 which I find extremely strange. You have to keep your foot on the brake or else it will just keep moving.

Anyone any thoughts

I assume you mean that the handbrake on the Mk4 is not as effective as a Mk3.

I found this with the Mk4,(compared to my Mk2) though I find if I really stamp on the parking brake it does the job, but I put the transmission into Park.

My local Lexus guy did say that there is some corrosion issues around the parking brake (did not understand all the details), but it passed the MOT. Maybe previous owners never used the brake, but I am old school, always use it (even at traffic lights)

Seems an automatic has to be at least 18% effective to pass an MOT, way lower than a non-auto (as I recall from checking out DVLA).

With MOT coming up soon, if the handbrake fails, I know I am looking at £300+ to sort, but if I have it done and then I can park on the North Face of the Eiger, I will let you know.

On the MK3 when you are on a hill at the traffic lights you just press hard on the brake once and let go and the car would sit still and you could take your foot off the brake and the car would be motionless no matter how steep the hill is.

In other autos mercedes etc etc as well as the MK4 if you did not press brake when on a hill the car would keep moving up.

ah ok - i never noticed this when i had my mark 3 and 4 - perhaps it might be something to do with the gas pedal set up - the mark 4 has electronic throttle hence why the gas pedal is very sensitive and the car feels alot lighter

The mk4 has a slight groan to it more beefy in a way where the mk3 was smoother and quieter. I believe the MK3 is lighter very underestimated.

I can't get used to the sat nav as it is very old fashioned but my computer friend who sat in it the first time states that for a car to have CD ROM in the late 90's was out of this world.

I believe the looks on the MK4 are much better but the MK3 more comfortable and better engine IMO

You might be interested to know how the braking system has evolved on the 460.........

The parking brake is electric and actuated by a button. It has an 'Auto' function which sets the parking brake whenever the gear lever is set to 'Park'. As soon as the gear lever is moved to any other position, the parking brake is released. I have mine in 'Auto' all the time.

The footbrake is electronic. It feels exactly the same as the system on the 400. It has a 'Hold' function. This is activated by an 'On/Off' button on the steering boss. When selected 'On' it holds the brakes on when the car has come to a stop. As soon as the accelerator is pressed, the brakes are released. This is really useful in town or in traffic jams. It is very smooth in operation.

If you are anything like me, you are probably having two thoughts:

a) That sounds really great

and

b) How much will it cost if it goes wrong.

It's an LS.........that shouldn't happen for a long time :)

mine used to creep,but not always,but since replacing brake shoes in the rear disc's,and a new cable its no problem,the parking brakeshoes have not a lot of meat on them even new,usually a really good clean up,new springs etc,can get them up to good efficency,mines a ls 400 mk4 ,i think most electronic parking brakes work on hydraulics,i may be wrong

mine used to creep,but not always,but since replacing brake shoes in the rear disc's,and a new cable its no problem,the parking brakeshoes have not a lot of meat on them even new,usually a really good clean up,new springs etc,can get them up to good efficency,mines a ls 400 mk4 ,i think most electronic parking brakes work on hydraulics,i may be wrong

Ray,

Given my last post said my brake was a bit 'rubbish', I have not had a chance to try it since I had rear pads changed about Xmas time.

So last night I tried on a nice steep hill, and the brakes a heck of a lot better, could detect no creep, so it will be interesting to see what the MOT says in a months time.

So maybe a weak brake means time to get pads checked out

0fffed34-6224-4a11-b74e-b87c19b130fd_zps

LexusGS300028_zpsf29435a9.jpg

This is what happened to my hand brake on a MK2 GS300. The cable seized and broke the housing and the parking brake shoes were catching and vibrating even at low speed and it took some time to fathom what was wrong. I eventually felt the wheels after a run and the off side rear was hot/very warm so that give us a clue and stripped it out to find this.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links