Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quality Of Non-Oem Parts

Keynun

Right, so I am toying with the idea of a full front suspension refresh on my new LS400. Coming from a track-orientated BMW Z3, I have experienced the awesome cost of replacing countless amounts of bushes, top mounts, springs, shocks and wishbones. I do not fear the lexus.

I have sourced OEM lower ball joints, oem drop links and oem upper control arms. I can't find a reasonable price for the 2 lower arms, but I have found the bushes that can be pressed into the original arms on eBay for £50 a pair

Has anyone done this? Should I expect atleast 30k miles out of non-oem bushes? I wouldn't want to redo the lower arms after 5k miles. Also, what is the consesus on track rods? OEM or eurocarparts?

Lastly, what is the deal with the DHP pack? Mine has it, but does anyone actually sell the DHP springs anymore? I'm worried that my springs may fail in the fuutre since the car has 180k miles. I guess I could go towards the american route of lowering it.

• 2 weeks later...

For me skimping on some things is ok but parts that determine a cars performance of handling should not be skimped on. Hopefully if you buy them they do the job :)

My reading on the DHP springs is that they were made especially for UK cars, and springs no longer available (someone broke one and mentioned he had one made).

BUT.....you can fit normal Ser 4 springs, albeit it will soften the ride a little I guess-but not dangerously!

In fact, I'm wondering if I should change DHP springs for 'normal' as comfort, not cornering, is my priority! (Once I get a DHP of course!)

....and there's another string on new springs recently, because I'm just looking for it! US sourced.

• 2 weeks later...

I've mentioned elsewhere that I've been sourcing a lot of parts for the car (its a 1993) as I want the car to be without fault for the next MOT.

Bought two Japanese made Lower arm assembly's on eBay Australia and so paid a higher price and with VAT £70 a piece.

Bought two Upper Arm Wishbones from different suppliers in USA on eBay and both despite being given names Raybestos and McQuay Norris, turned out to be made in Taiwan. One cost £88.39 plus tax and the other £104.00 plus tax. The Ray fitted to the car, but the Mcquay turned out to be wrongly advertised for a LS400 but I was credited wirth the amount paid, kept the item to sell against VAT charge.

I still needed one Upper Control Arm and bought a "set" from another US supplier and having arrived this morning I must say that these parts look more like OEM. More sturdy and have barcode and part refs on the bag. Also numbers on the Arm but not "made in Taiwan". These cost me £184.40 sent by prompt UPS with £44.77 VAT. I'm happy that they look the part.

I bought a pair of rear UCR's from Amayana which cost me £336.29 plus VAT. Quite happy with that against Lexus Direct £453 EACH.

Also bought Rear coil springs £80 KYB off eBay.

Bit of an investment this, but as I do like the quietness and power of the Car I plan to keep it for five years all things being equal. Don't ask me what labout costs have been, bearing in mind I have already paid to have the Cam belt changed (oem parts £500+) , Oh and having bought some Borbet five spoke wheels I've yet to buy tyres. A real spending spree. My S Class I was told by the buyer who stays in touch, pased the MOT with no advisories, and I didn't spend a fraction of this outlay on that car in six years.

If anyone is interested this is the USA parts seller I used to by the pair of UCA's -(parts are of course untested but they wouldn't sell them to me until I confirmed the parts number for the car) buyautoparts.com

doh! UPDATE - Just noticed that these new Arms have "made in China" in small writing on the label. DIDN'T SPOT IT - VERY SORRY

Edited by runsgrateasanut

I've now replaced most of the suspension at the front.

I decided that genuine parts were far too costly and went mostly with brand name products apart from the lower arm bushes (no.1 & no.2) which were imported from Taiwan (the well reviewed american eBay ones are also made in Taiwan, so I just assumed they are rebranded).

I bought the following:

Meyle upper control arms x2 (german brand, probably made in taiwan or india I think)

Borg and beck lower ball joints

Taiwan lower bushes x4

Taiwan tie rod assembles

Taiwan droplinks

The mechanic broke 2 breaker bars in the process of fitting these. Apparently everything was rusted out and impossible to undo. Labour rate was £450 for all of the above plus timing belt, pulleys and waterpump. I would say that it was a decent price for labour.

So far the car feels nice and tight. MUCH better than the worn out components and no more noise. ALL the old components were worn out to dangerous levels at 180k miles.

Now, on to the rear :( LOL

• Like 1

That was a great labour price.

My mechanic today fitting the n/s upper control arm just purchased so I'll have one Chinese and one Taiwanese. Be interesting to see how they last. Someone reported that the rubber on these falls apart even if stored in the garage. Going to wrap both ball joints rubbers in clingfilm to see if they last a bit longer as a torn/perished gaitor is an MOT fail and it will prevent ingress of dirt into the balljoint.

(I know it sounds bizarre heath robinson - and on a Lexus I hear you say - but worth a try to get the best out of the parts.

It was me that reported ball joint rubbers perishing whilst resting on my garage wall. I purchased aftermarket replacements which I have left exposed to the atmosphere to see how they fare, and they are still as purchased after around 9 months, so they seem good. It may be an idea to replace the ball joint rubbers on any cheap UCA before fitting.

Pete

• Like 1

Yep I bought after market top ball joint wish bones for a LS400 from a company around Leeds and all looked good intially 3mths later rubber started to split and rot..... Bought another aftermarket set from another company down south and again 3mths later cracked n split decided to go for OEM parts after this,

Here's what the seller tells me, and as Raybestos and Delphi are both basket cases (insolvency)it may be any part you buy from America will come from anywhere, except Japan! I have taken off the gaitors to the two parts (which could be original to the car?) ill I'll keep them in case the new ones rot and maybe then remove and replace.

oOo

The part is made in China. Not even Lexus parts are made in the US, everything
is made in china , taiwan, singapore, thailand, the list goes on. We guarantee
our parts are the exact same fit and function as original and we inspect all
parts at our US facility to ensure quality. I have sold over 100 pairs of the
parts you purchased in the last year and I have never had a defect on the brand
we sent you. We do have a 60 day return policy, so if you would like to return
the part you can, but you would be subject to a 15% restocking fee and we would
deduct our original shipping cost from the refund. Please let me know if you
would like to return the parts and I can assist you, but I can assure you it is
a quality part.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel
free to contact me. Thank you for your purchase and have a great day!

oOo

Does beg the question if OEM has lasted over twenty years and 113k miles how come these "OEM quality or even better" are only guaranteed for twelve months! I think we know.

• Like 1

I think certain america sourced parts are better quality than the **** we get over here. I bought the Meyle upper arms from eBay USA, I'll update everyone in 6 months time when the MOT is due anyways for info purposes.

P.S. The taiwanese parts I bought have a 2 year/20k warranty, which helps aid my confidence in them. I do think they are no where near OEM quality though, but I reckon they will me a few years.

oOo

oOo

Does beg the question if OEM has lasted over twenty years and 113k miles how come these "OEM quality or even better" are only guaranteed for twelve months! I think we know.

Your car has lasted over 20 years and 113k miles (which is not high mileage for these cars). What length warranty did your Lexus come with when new? Certainly less than 20 years. We tend to put too much store in warranty times I think.

• 1 month later...

All non oem are absoultely rubbish.

Blueprint discs and pads made squeak and judder

Blueprint rear drop links. Lasted about 20,000 tops

KYB shocks absoultely crap

Blueprink rear discs and pads are awfull

£40 upper control arms split after 3000 miles

OEM parts makes a real difference or use 2nd hand parts

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's the "Raybestos" (oops sorry, made in Taiwan) "quality" part which was fitted early March 2015 and has done under 2000 miles. Absolutely shocking. Why waste time manufacturing a part and putting a piece of rubber on that will have such a short life, saving what? a couple of quid for a quality rubber gaiter? - I just can't fathom these Taiwan mnfrs nor the Yankjs for allowing such cr*p to be sold under what was once a respected brand name..

IMG_1733.jpg

As I may have said earlier, having spotted the situation I have banadaged the gaiter with black cling film, balck nsulating tape and a couple of tie clips in the hope of stopping ingress of dirt and water. I did remove the gaiters from the old Wishbones and nbo doubt come the MOT they won't be happy and I'll have to pay to have the Wisbone removed and giater replaced.

• Like 1

Is there any chance of someone making a list for us LOC members of those manufacturers and vendors that are selling these sub standard suspension parts ?

This is clear evidence of Raybestos crap which one might otherwise consider, in the normal course of events, to be a reputable and trustworthy provider.

Steve 2006, is this something that the " powers that be " in LOC might be able to organise maybe ??

Thanks.

Malc

• Like 1

I reckon that these sub standard upper control arms all come from the same source. If you have to fit these, then spend another couple of quid and replace the rubbers with a better one. My test rubbers are still as good as when I got them over a year ago - still sitting in my toolbox, but then the new crap parts destroyed the rubbers sitting on my garage wall, so it's a similar test.

I bought the replacement gaiters on eBay - just measured what I needed.

Pete

• Like 1

• 1 year later...