Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had sciatica about 15 years ago from driving too much (220 miles a day, 5 days a week for 2 years).

First thing was to go see an Osteopath who was able to get my spine straightened out, and from then I have been able to keep the lumbar regions in reasonable shape.

I assume you have been to doctor etc etc. as the nerve being trapped can be for various reasons.

But from my experience not sitting at the computer correctly makes a huge difference to how bad back gets as well, and I suseed to get a lot of leg tingling issues, (not sure if it was sciatica), but I found Yoga helped, and also used a technique to try and make my spine stay straight (this then keeps the tension on back more correct).

Get a book, (or foam block) about 2 inches thick, place it on a floor, and then lie down so that your head (but not any part of the neck) is on the foam block. Then bring your knees up (keep feet on the ground), and then rock your knees side to side (keep feet on ground) for about 30 seconds. This helps level and straighten the spine. Then with your knees still up rest like that for about 30 minutes. (I tend to fall asleep when I do it - which is a good sign). Of course if it too painful to lie down, then this may not be a good idea to try.

I do this after very long car journeys, as I find the LS not the best car seat in the world (find Saab's way better - and my wife's old Accord) for the ultimate support of the spine.

I would suggest that once you have got sorted, then Yoga is good for keeping muscles and spine well balanced.

One other thing is a ruddy good mattress, and if you think you need a new one, then try this company out.

http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/t-cs/

Thanks for the replies, I got it from weight training, doctor has prescribed me anti inflammatory tablet, obviously I can't go to the gym anymore, well not yet anyway, but I may go and see an osteopaths

Only time gets rid of sciatica or alleviates some of the pain and discomfort.

I was warned by a Consultant against using an Osteopath or Chiropractor after X Rays and an MRI scan, which I had following a second severe attack after a seven year pause. It depends on age and spine condition. If spine condition is unknown it could be detrimental. Having a long back I could see how the spinal cord was threaded through a very small and challenging circuit along the vertebrae at the lumber region where spinal disk compression takes place. I'd tried Osteopathy the first time and it was torture even if my mind was not on it as I laid across her legs having noticed her blue thong showing!

I tried Chinese Acupuncture for twelve sessions but not sure it made any differerence. I couldn't raise my left leg if I lay on the bed. Not even an inch. Just didn't respond but it would lock out so walked with a stick.

Only time healed the problem to an extent - min eighteen months. Didn't take any drugs or rub on Ibroprofin, after reading possible side effects, and didn't change the mattress which is Memory foam.

This is reminding me to fix my twisted front Lexus seat. I have taken the back panel off. I work at a snails pace these days.

I did buy a second hand Bactrac which is an inversion table. Not suited if you have high blood pressure, glaucoma, etc.

If I feel that lifting that engine was perhaps not a wise thing to do, I go on the table for a minute
or place hands on the back of two chairs and try to raise my weight on my shoulders. I've never had actual back pain even though thats where the problem lies. Fortunate that it is the Sciatic nerve in my left leg each time, and so could still drive an Automatic. I have full use of the leg now, but the upper muscle only about ninety per cent returned after the wasting period.

Hope you recover soon - its a bummer!

If you have sciatica - its basically a compression of the sciatic nerve which runs down the back of your leg. It originates at the spinal nerve at the S1 level of the vertebrae which is in the lower back. Its very common when deadlifting.

Just a question - do you have any incontinence, inability to urinate or loss of sensation in the perineum? If you do, its highly likely you have Cauda Equina syndrome which is a medical emergency

With sciatica itself - keep as active as possible, gentle stretching and gentle exercise will do no harm. Also, make a compression pack out of peas, hot or cold, whichever helps to ease the pain.

Thanks for the replies, the first week I couldn't even walk properly and that was 2 weeks but now the pain had eased a lot, but when I pick up my 2 year old baby, the pain comes back slightly

In the 15 years I have never done dead lifts, I got sciatica from picking up a dumbell from the floor at the gym, the pain was that bad I couldn't the top half of my right leg. But I am doing gentle stretches but I really into the gym, but I can't, I've gotta wait for it to fully heal

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links