Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Pressures

bhatsunil

Hi,

I changed my alloys from 17" to 16" yesterday and got new Goodyear Efficientgrip tyres fitted from Kwikfit mobile. The tyre spec is 205/55/VR16

Despite specifying clearly that the recommended tyre pressure is 32, the fitter filled the tyres with 40Psi. Is that correct? Is there any reason why he would have done it?

As I am not planning to go above 160kmph/100mph, I let some air out and brought back the tyre pressure to 32 psi before driving.

16" alloy owners only - Any tips for tyre pressures in UK? Or do you suggest that I follow recommended pressure of 32psi?

Regards,

Sunil

Hi I've got 16's as standard from new. Lexus had not deflated them from the shipping pressure so I lowered them to ...... I need to go to the car and look at the plate on the door

Some of the websites suggest a little over inflation reduces full consumption by lowering rolling resistance or some such

I'll post again shortly

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

I use the same model and size of tyres on our CT. For our pattern of usage and style of driving we have the pressures at 38psi front and 37psi rear. I am not particularly interested in the tiny amount of fuel consumption improvement but am more interested in obtaining even tyre wear across the width of tread. Standard pressures resulted in wearing the edges off the tyres and leaving the centres of the tyres relatively unworn. These pressures seem to encourage more even wear across the entire width of the tyres.

I use the same model and size of tyres on our CT. For our pattern of usage and style of driving we have the pressures at 38psi front and 37psi rear. I am not particularly interested in the tiny amount of fuel consumption improvement but am more interested in obtaining even tyre wear across the width of tread. Standard pressures resulted in wearing the edges off the tyres and leaving the centres of the tyres relatively unworn. These pressures seem to encourage more even wear across the entire width of the tyres.

Many thanks for the info.

If you dont mind, whats your usage and driving style? Also, I think it may be a good idea to have slightly higher tyres in Cambridge given the condition of the roads!

Also, whats the longevity of the tyres in Cambridge area?

Regards,

Sunil

Our pattern of usage is predominantly driving outside Cambridgeshire away from green crusaders on bicycles and built up areas. Journeys are generally in excess of 20 miles on single carriageway country A roads with an average speed similar to the lorries one inevitably has to follow on such roads. Cambridge roads in my opinion were poor the last time I was unfortunate enough to find myself on one. All those road safety anoraks preaching about pushbikes and 20mph when the city council couldn't even be bothered to re-paint the faded and hard to see cycle lane white lines( or any other road markings) in the majority of the city and outlying areas.

As far as tyre life is concerned I rotate them and replace them either when damaged or at about 2- 2.5mm or when I feel that they are weathered and aged to a level whereby I am getting too much understeer. I never pay any attention to mileage covered. By the time I replace the tyres, they are all evenly worn to the same degree and so I replace them all at the same time.This process gets a bit disjointed when I get a damaged tyre. Unlike days of old when you could replace the damaged tyre with a new one and simply run around with the new tyre as the spare until such time as the remaining 4 wore out, most cars no longer come with 5 wheels and tyres which can be easily and effectively managed so as to overcome any issues with running full tread tyres alongside part worn tyres.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links