Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My front wing over the last few months has started to bubble up with rust around the edges and it will only get worse if I leave it. I have had one quote to respray it for £300 + VAT. The colour is Pearlescent White. This seems a bit high to me? Has anyone had spraying done recently and what price did you pay?

Maybe I am tight or just totally out of touch with the cost of body repairs?

........ two front wings, drivers door and front bumper prepared and resprayed and lacquer ( no rust tho' ) ....... £320 and gteed the life of the car ....... on my Mazda 323f , last summer.

But generally spraying can be very expensive .............. suggest you find a local body shop that does work for other garages. .... the rust sorting out might take an extra hour or two to get right of course.

Insurance companies beat the hell out of bodyshops on pricing and they have to charge challenging prices to others to make a living !

Malc

That's a coincidence, I picked up a used wing for mine last night, and I'm also way out of date with prices for paint, so will follow this with interest.

Funnily enough, I had the choice of red or white, both from MK4 cars, though I've never seen a white one, I'm guessing yours is an earlier model though Andy.

"During production, the Lexus LS received more coats of paint than a Rolls Royce of the same age. In fact, Lexus paint inspectors are required to pass an examination of their skills four times a year to continue working on the line."

From a Sale post on eBay currently!

I thought I'd found a matching replacement for £65 quoted from someone supposedly breaking, but he seems to have disposed of the car in its entirety. Why not try a "1st Choice spares" enquiry for a s/h one with no rust and matching colour - you might be lucky?

Any rust repair would have to be good to survive my sea front position so I'm not going to bother to try to do the job myself. Only one wing fortunately.

I thought I'd found a matching replacement for £65 quoted from someone supposedly breaking, but he seems to have disposed of the car in its entirety. Why not try a "1st Choice spares" enquiry for a s/h one with no rust and matching colour - you might be lucky?

Any rust repair would have to be good to survive my sea front position so I'm not going to bother to try to do the job myself. Only one wing fortunately.

I've been looking for a wing in blue since some scroat kicked a big dent in mine two halloweens ago.

Gave first choice a go, and a couple got back to me with quotes, though not the right colour.

Also 24/7, which produced one reply from somebody wanting over £200 for wrong coloured, and giving a premium rate number to ring.

Ended up getting one in Basildon, on my way back from Yorkshire last night for £50, in red.

His advert has been on eBay for ages, showing the car mine came off, apparently he regularly buys and breaks LS and other Lexus.

• Like 1

That's a coincidence, I picked up a used wing for mine last night, and I'm also way out of date with prices for paint, so will follow this with interest.

Funnily enough, I had the choice of red or white, both from MK4 cars, though I've never seen a white one, I'm guessing yours is an earlier model though Andy.

Mikeyv, don't know where you are in Sussex but my paintshop guy is nr. Broadstairs in Kent if that's any use to you !

Malc

Mikeyv, don't know where you are in Sussex but my paintshop guy is nr. Broadstairs in Kent if that's any use to you !

Malc

Eastbourne Malc, so a bit of a trek really, bearing in mind he'd probably need the car for more than one day.

I'll bear it in mind though, and give you a shout if I can't find somewher nearer, as that sounds a reasonable price, and it's always nice to use somebody recommended.

Thanks, Mike.

Just my luck that this one is the wrong side. Probably more gold than Beige I console myself. There is a grey LS being broken but looks like someone has put a couple of small dents on the wing top taking out the engine?

Seems more choice for later cars than 1993.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS400-Passenger-Wing-From-1994-/321659135216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae460e4f0

Just my luck that this one is the wrong side. Probably more gold than Beige I console myself. There is a grey LS being broken but looks like someone has put a couple of small dents on the wing top taking out the engine?

Seems more choice for later cars than 1993.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS400-Passenger-Wing-From-1994-/321659135216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae460e4f0

While I was visiting in laws in North Yorks, I rang round loads of scrappers in Leeds, Bradford and York areas.

To save time, I wasn't specific about model or colour when they answered, just asked if they had a front wing for a Lexus LS 400.

All bar one said no straight away, the exception had the wrong side in the wrong colour, with "repairable" damage.

Seems they are not exactly in good supply.

I hadn't thought about fitting a replacement wing from a scrap car instead of getting my wing resprayed-maybe it would be the way to go if I can find a decent one cheap enough.

I will have to get a few more quotes from other body shops, but compared to what people here have paid £300 + VAT does seem too high.

I have both front wings off a series III ( 1995-1997) in silver in my shed if that's the year you are after,both are rust free apart from one side ( passenger IIRC) which has a small rusted stone chip.

If of any use to you PM me, cheapy cheap to fellow member :)

LS wings are all bolt off/on so maybe worth having a known good one sprayed to correct colour and fitting it.

Andy, if you are in Cheltenham (just a guess!) try Premier, just behind Tesco on Colletts Drive. They did an excellent job of my front bumper on an SL for £150, after I had been quoted £300 elsewhere.

Jon

Thanks steve2006 for offer of a wing, but unfortunately mine is a Mk II (1993)..

Jon-I am from Cheltenham and have just had a quote from Premier for £295 inclusive, so it's getting better. I'll try a few more and see how cheap I can get it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found a front wing on eBay which is the same colour as my car (pearlescent white ) which would bolt straight on and save the cost of respraying.

The wing seems to be in excellent condition with no rust and is £35. My car is October 1993 (Mark 2 ) and the wing has come off of a J reg car. Is a J reg car a Mark 1 or 2 and would it fit my car??

I spoke to the bloke on eBay who is selling but he wasn't sure if it will fit??

Any ideas??

Yes, I think it should fit. I do not think there is any difference in respect of body panels on Mk 1 and Mk 2.

In terms of the cost of respraying a front wing, it is £150 in my neck of the woods.

I had the offside front wing on my wife's Merc 500SL resprayed last year and it was £150, which included a bit of fine finishing on the repair I had done at the bottom of the wing just behind the indicator. The wing is a similar size to the LS400 wing.

Is it major work to take the wing off as I read a post on here from a few years ago that the front bumper has to come off to gain access to bolts to take the wing off?? If that's the case then it sounds like quite a lot of work just to get the wing off??

I've had a few more quotes for a respray the best being £180-but with no guarentee that the rust wont return again!!

Just collected car after having wing resprayed for £180-they did an excellent job and for a reasonable price. I had 5 different quotes all for around the£300-£350 range.One of the bodyshops I went to even wanted me to make an appointment just to get a "quote"!!

Andy,

Where did you get the work done for £180.

I have to get some work done and live near Stroud, so be interested to know.

me too. premier charged me half what i had been quoted in Gloucester, but that is cheaper yet.

Jon