Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I just can't run to £450 for a single front upper control arm.
I purchased two from America both supposedly American brand. Both turned out to be Branded box but made in Taiwan with no corresponding ID. Guarantee worthless I imagine.
OK One fitted and the other I was totally suspicious of as it didn't look similar, being an H bar, but thought we'd check.

Turns out not to fit and on further examination the part is for a SC430 and wrongly quoted as for an LS400 89-94. so, last night Mechanic had to put back the original part and was less than happy to do so.

Trying to get a replacement as a matter of urgency for France trip shortly. None on eBay and Amanana will take too long. So, had to buy from States again (a pair) and delivery expected by 13th if they can confirm part numbers match. Got refund of part cost for wrong arm but lost out shipping and VAT. Can sell on the wrong part and perhaps cut my loss but not labour charge.

Just hoping parts arrive in time and that I won't have a problem to end up driving like this guy

............. are the originals really that badly worn ? you would have to be amazingly unlucky to have one collapse on you

Malc

Good Question Malc.

They were advisories and having taken off the rubber (seemingly in tact) covering the ball joint on the one removed (which may be original but can't see any ID for rust) though loose, I can't find any actual play up and down.

Some rust in the grease.

Only used my fingers to try to pull/push in both directions.

Daresay it may have lasted another 50k miles but just don't want a nightmare MOT situation like I had first time with this car.

Trying to resolve all issues well in advance

............ well, if you can't afford OEM UCAs then I would re-instate the originals and leave them for a further few years and / or until they become actual failures......... MOT Advisories quite often err on the side of ultra caution rather than actuality

Malc

I was so lucky when I needed a nearside UCA for mine, I too got a quote of £525.00 from Lexus and a choice of Chinese quality from the likes of AZ motor parts until I spotted a brand new OEM one for £120.00 on eBay.

You think the LS400 is fast but I couldn't move my finger fast enough to click the touchpad at that price.

• Like 1

............ well, if you can't afford OEM UCAs then I would re-instate the originals and leave them for a further few years and / or until they become actual failures......... MOT Advisories quite often err on the side of ultra caution rather than actuality

Malc

Its not that I cant afford the OEM its that I resent paying an amount that could buy me four new premium grade Tyres for a part which others can manufacture for one tenth of the price. OK Quality wise there will be a difference but this is an extortionate amount to have to pay for this part.

The existing UCA's were on advisories and my mechanic said they both needed changing. Pointing out that the part under load would be the only way to test it for wear. I want to be safe, but not at any price.

I've ordered the below from the States as a pair, because they have a short delivery date. They were reluctant to send them until I confirmed the OEM number which I got from a very useful link someone put on a thread, to a website called Toyo..... ?

I only need the one Arm but unless I order from a UK seller who lists his items under Private Seller (which I always suspect is not a good place to go!) then I'll have spare. May sell if anyone interested.

I've used Rock for Merc parts but for my year Lexus its a bit vague as to the list of UCA parts that will fit. Also their price is higher.

I understand that many names quoted as brands on the Box, may also be Taiwan products inside although understood to be of high quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290615339217

I was so lucky when I needed a nearside UCA for mine, I too got a quote of £525.00 from Lexus and a choice of Chinese quality from the likes of AZ motor parts until I spotted a brand new OEM one for £120.00 on ebay.

You think the LS400 is fast but I couldn't move my finger fast enough to click the touchpad at that price.

well done Steve. do you remember what the distinguishing marks were on the Arm that proved it to be OEM or was it just that it was in a sealed Toyota labelled bag? I'd be interested to know.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links