Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shock Absorbers Lexus Gs300 Mk3 2005

Hi All,

Do anybody know what shock absorbers we have on our GS's?

Is it mono tube or twin tube? I mean for cars without adaptive suspension.

Did anyone of you ever tried to replace shock absorbers with Kayaba Monotube ones?

Regards

Mateusz

I can see that nobody knows anything about it, so I want to share my research with you, maybe it will help someone in future.

I asked same question to lots of Lexus Dealers' parts departments and that's the conclusion.

Half of them did not respond to this question, 4 said that shock absorbers are mono tube, 2 said they are twin tube and one technician did not know what I meant.

Lexus dealers wants over 700£ for all 4 shock absorbers. I know the genuine parts are made by KYB. KYB in their catalogue shows Gas A Just (mono tube) shocks as an Recommended OE replacement. Unfortunately they are not on sale in UK and has to be imported from US. Their price is 360$ for all 4 so even with import taxes are much cheaper (Around 430£). Finally I am going to import shocks from Japan for same money but they are definiately genuine OE. I am not really sure if these KYB Gas A Just are made to OE specification so I decided to get OE shocks from Japan for around 400£. I just do not know how can Lexus dealers have so high prices if these parts can be bought for 3 times less.

I hope it will help to anyone interested :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The problem is that my source don't have it in stock at the moment unfortunately, but anyway it is amayama.com , they have everything OEM for japan cars, searching is by OEM part numbers and they have great prices even including all taxes and import duties. I had to finally buy shocks from lexuspartsdirect they also have very good prices comparing to these which you can get from a dealer.

• 2 months later...

Just been quoted 175 plus VAT for fronts and £161 + VAT for rears and that does not include fitting. Bonkers. My new Eibachs springs have arrived and thought it made sense to swap out the shocks at the same time. Looks like I'll be going down the import route from the US as well as I can't find any replacements as an alternative to OEM.

I would try amayama first on your place. If shocks are in stock you will pay less and get original parts. I read some reviews on US forums abouy Kayaba monotubes and wasnt really sure about their work

They might be a bit more tough and ride quality can go down thats why I didnt decide to buy them. If you buy them let me know how it works on your car their price is also very good. Lexus dealeships prices are ridiculous.

The joys of new shock absorbers :) I'm currently in the same situation. My state of play is as follows:

- Have an order inquiry in with Amayama. Currently totalling circa £200 for OEM parts, but £230 for shipping (not including VAT / duty).

- KYB parts, on the other hand, can be sourced for slightly more from the U.S., but with dramatically lower shipping. Have also read that the ride will be slightly firmer, but this is my favoured route.

- Will likely get parts fitted by a local garage - getting quotes ranging from £200-£400 via autobutler.com

So though I'd love to source OEM parts, I'm probably going KYB. Overall cost could end up being less than Lexus's cost to source and fit one front shock - £495, apparently.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

let me know when you do the job how these KYB are working. I did the job myself it isnt so difficult but takes a long time using jack and stands. But as I can see I saved 200-400 thats great. Anyway I dont trust any garage, nobody really care about doing the job properly and now I know its done perfectly.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't driven a huge amount since (only an hour-ish of town driving) but got shocks fitted yesterday. Seem very good - perhaps slightly firmer through pot-holes but that could well be because they're brand new. No regrets not going with OEM (got KYB parts for about £320 delivered). Garage that fitted them (MC Autos in Croydon) was also very good so will likely use again - even though it's a little way from where I am. And MOT now passed with no advisories, so all is well :).

Haven't driven a huge amount since (only an hour-ish of town driving) but got shocks fitted yesterday. Seem very good - perhaps slightly firmer through pot-holes but that could well be because they're brand new. No regrets not going with OEM (got KYB parts for about £320 delivered). Garage that fitted them (MC Autos in Croydon) was also very good so will likely use again - even though it's a little way from where I am. And MOT now passed with no advisories, so all is well :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you gewt the shcoks form the USA ? If so, where from ? I cant source any other then OEM in the UK.

Thanks

Yep. Got parts from RockAuto.com - just navigate through their online parts catalogue (remembering that they call shock absorbers, 'struts') and you'll arrive on the KYB shocks - part numbers 551106, 551107, 551108 for a MK3 GS. I confirmed with KYB in the UK that U.S. parts would be fine for a UK car. They'll apparently be selling the same parts in the UK soon but haven't gotten round to it yet...

Totalled about £215 for parts, £115 for delivery and VAT and took about 5 days to come (with great tracking all the way through).

Yep. Got parts from RockAuto.com - just navigate through their online parts catalogue (remembering that they call shock absorbers, 'struts') and you'll arrive on the KYB shocks - part numbers 551106, 551107, 551108 for a MK3 GS. I confirmed with KYB in the UK that U.S. parts would be fine for a UK car. They'll apparently be selling the same parts in the UK soon but haven't gotten round to it yet...

Totalled about £215 for parts, £115 for delivery and VAT and took about 5 days to come (with great tracking all the way through).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Briliant , thanks very much. Just ordered a full set. Way cheaper than with lexus direct even with shipping and taxes.

No problem. Wish your garage good luck - mine apparently had a nightmare with a seized bolt they ended up having to cut off :).

Shocks ordered Tuesday and have arrived this morning from the USA! Pretty impressive and for half the price of what Lexus wanted. New springs and shocks already to be fitted

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am about to order a front left shock for my GS formt he US. The part number is KYB 551107 for front left - is this the same regardless of whether the car is a US or UK model? I saw Rockauto for your messages and they are much cheaper than the UK prices for the same part.

Thanks

Dean

Hi mate

I wouldn't recommend younto replace just one shock absorber. Especially for KYB 551107 if you have an old OEM part on right side. The difference in performance on both sides might be noticeable an ij the worst situation car can be unstable and ride quality drop down.

Anyway this part should fit UK model as Andyb63 has written above.

All the best

• 2 months later...

Interesting they are somewhat cheaper than over here! I currently have a set of BC Racing coilovers on my Mk3 GS but even on the softest setting they are a little on the firm side (this car is my daily so would prefer comfort over handling!). I may bite the bullet and buy these as well....

• 9 months later...

I read this thread trying to get the lowdown on where to find cheap parts.  This is what I found.

Amayama: Cheap but cost of shipping from JPN is expensive

RockAuto: cheap parts, cheaper shipping than JPN so it's best to get lots of parts in one go but there customer service is not helpful.

solution:

Maindealer Edinburgh: 2x rear shocks for 2005 GS300 GRS190 = £180 appx.

Self fitted: Apart from wheel bolts only 4x bolts where removed on each side to complete this change.

1. Remove cladding from boot, take pictures of the clips and where they go but it needs to be stripped bare!!

2. Clamp springs and compress so they move freely on the shock.

3.  Remove 3x bolts including stabiliser link, ride height/ weight sensor (affects AFS) and shock absorber bolt.  Loosen (only) bolt at top of lower suspension arm.  Have something ready to support the hub assembly incase falls when shock absorber bolt is removed, mine didn't.

4.  Remove top bolt of shock absorber in boot.  No need to touch the three around it for the top mount.

5.  Slight pull down suspension arm and place breaker bar down the centre of the arm to lever it down with foot as you pull down and shake shock to remove.  There should be a reusable mount on the old shock plus 2x new rubber fittings and new top bolt with new shock.  Replace as on old shock.

6.  Replace with new shock, make sure the bottom of Spring lines up with raised lip on bottom of shock.

7. On the NS make sure the ride height sensors has not moved or your AFS will blink when you turn car back on.  Take picture of this before you start you you know how it should be as it can move easily.

8.  Replace cladding and tools in boot and food to go!

Now rides like new and almost all knocks now eliminated from driving experience.