Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

"should He Stay Or Should He Go Now"

He has been suspended after a fight with a producer.

Will this be the end of him on the BBC? ITV must be rubbing their hands together. They will let him punch all the producers he wants if went over to them. Mike

• Like 2

Hooray! Clarkson suspended. No more slagging off Lexus for a while and no more promoting all things BMW, Merc or Audi. The German car industry will miss all that free advertising each week.

• Like 2

Sorry, can't agree. He is just about the only sensible voice in this crazy, touchy-feely, PC obsessed world that we now live in. One of the reasons I live in Holland is because I am so disappointed in what the UK has become.

And he loved the LFA.

• Like 1

I know he loved the LFA and he's famously non-PC, (which I like too), but I can't stand his obsession with German cars, sorry. He literally shot an LS to bits with tank rounds in one episode of Top Gear. Abtholutley Dithpicable.

He should stay. Not only that they should sack the producer and make him the new producer as well. I hate all the PC bulls hit we are being fed nowadays. If you don't like the programme, don't watch it. I would say do what they do with footballers, fine them, hit their pockets and that's that. They don't suspend a football match just because a player gets suspended do they.

Good riddance to bad rubbish is my take,too much crap on Tele in the name of entertainment anyway,won't be missing JC or the programme for that matter(lol like a lot of footballers gets he gets paid too much money )

I don't mind him in short doses. I don't like some of his views. He'd probably appreciate health and safety more if he worked in a physical, dangerous job (6 miners killed in the year I started my apprenticeship at the pit - that concentrates your mind). I don't like his view that public sector workers who strike should be executed - he's obviously never worked in that environment, where your job is at risk at every annual reorganisation at cutback time (they often have to reapply for their own jobs annually), your workload increases because personnel and resources are continually being decimated and your conditions are constantly being savaged. I have no doubt his pension arrangements are not a cause for concern.

That said, at least he has some charisma, is obviously a car enthusiast at heart and does have a sense of humour. It's not as if the bar is set very high by other programmes. Fifth gear is ridiculous - I'm sick of watching supercars being thrashed around a track - who cares, really?. The pairing of Quentin Wilson and Jodie something in that classic car programme is dire, totally lacking in any chemistry between them. I love classics, I have a Lancia Flavia coupe, a Mk 2 Jag and a lexus LS 400, but it is almost unwatcheable. It's cringe worthy in the same way that Alan Partridge is, except that with Steve Coogan it is intentional.

I bet may and Hammond are worried.

Think he should STAY. Jeremy IS Topgear whether anyone likes it or not - you could say he has become a brand in his own right and has been on the show for how many years now? As to what he thinks of our beloved LS well that is neither here nor there and let's face it he did love the LFA :phone: . He is not PC, has a sense of humour and shoves it up the general media establishment, who are all state controlled regardless.

You cannot say he is totally in love with our 'teutonic' pals across the water - he does love a Jaaaaaaag and did own an XJR for many years, likes TVR too and Astons.

Yes, he does make statements that provoke a reaction and he does court controversy - do you think he really means it? from a man that parks a BAC Lightning in his garden I would doubt that. In fact, not a week goes by where I hear someone say in conversation - 'you can't say that now' honestly what is the world coming to? no sticks or stones may break my bones? is the general populace now terrified to give an honest opinion or take the mickey?

However, I do not watch Topgear and for that matter television - too much garbage. Excuse my little bit of a rant gentlemen and fellow '400 owners.

• Like 2

Call me a cynic but I reckon it's all deliberate on Clarksons part. They're all nearly out of contract, this way he manages to get fired (negating non-compete clause in his contract), then sues for wrongful and wins £s. He's now free to go his own way do his own thing which he's already got in the pipeline. what's the betting they all come back to our screens (itv,Sky, whoever) with a world first special of the much hyped la Ferrari vs. p1 vs. 918 comparison, to blow ratings out of the water.

Also, as a point, he doesn't hate japs and love Germanics - he's always banging on about how great Honda are (were) and how ******* porsche are. Think he just genuinely likes cars. At the risk of controversy on this site, perhaps our lexus's are not as good to drive as bmw, Mercedes equiv and as a journalist, he's just pointing that out. We just like them for different reasons; for me it's value for money and reliability.

Sorry but he has got to be sacked if this turns out to be true, look at the aftermath.

He don't get sacked will give the message you can thump your manager/producer and all is acceptable, what happens if the next person thumps a manager and does get the sack, then you have victimisation because clarkson didn't get sacked. A legal minefield will be created.

You all go and thump your manager tomorrow and see how long you keep you job, not long i guarantee it.

I quite like clarkson, he can be a ****** at times and he is not everyones cup of tea i admit.

The bbc have got to be firm here and create a warning that this is not acceptable no matter what the starting issue is.

He will move to other shows and i'm sure he won't disappear, topgear if it continues wont be the same without him though.

• Like 1

Sorry but he has got to be sacked if this turns out to be true, look at the aftermath.

He don't get sacked will give the message you can thump your manager/producer and all is acceptable, what happens if the next person thumps a manager and does get the sack, then you have victimisation because clarkson didn't get sacked. A legal minefield will be created.

You all go and thump your manager tomorrow and see how long you keep you job, not long i guarantee it.

I quite like clarkson, he can be a **** at times and he is not everyones cup of tea i admit.

The bbc have got to be firm here and create a warning that this is not acceptable no matter what the starting issue is.

He will move to other shows and i'm sure he won't disappear, topgear if it continues wont be the same without him though.

I agree with that, notwithstanding the fact that we don't know what happened, the circumstances, whether he was provoked, who threw the first punch or whether anyone even connected. If it's as simple as it's been presented and he has thumped someone, it is obviously a criminal offence, and the police may take an interest. It could also go to a civil action, seeing as he's loaded. The Beeb can't ignore or tolerate that, regardless how popular he or the show is. They have a duty of care to all employees and presumably a discipline code that reflects employment law. On top of their responsibilities as an employer, he is a public figure on a show that attracts a lot of young, impressionable viewers. If it is as simple as has been said, he's gone, I would have thought, at least from the BBC

Anyone who lumps a fellow employee needs to be brought to book one way or the other.

I guess we do not know all the facts, but though I am not a Clarkson fan, we need characters to stir the mud at the bottom of the pond (just not hit people in the process)

Clarkson likes lots of cars I am not so sure about, but then he dislikes many cars on which I agree with him on.

I have many mates who like BMW even more than Clarkson, but then they like having a ride in the LS, just seem to think they are too expensive to run (wrong) and not cool enough!

I guess money will win out in the need, as Top Gear is such a big money spinner.

I find it disturbing that hundreds of thousands of people are willing to sign a petition to have him reinstated when they don't know what happened - because we don't, yet, do we? To me, that says everything about his 'constituency' - unthinking, uncritical, mob-mentality. Apologies if this includes people on here who signed the petition - no offence meant - but is there something about physical assault that's not serious any more? I wonder what kind of offence he would have to be accused of for people NOT to rush to his defence? He's clever and when I've seen him on things other than Top Gear he has been funny, but he's basically a bully who hobnobs with Cameron at weekends and thinks he's untouchable. And bullies need to be stood up to - whether or not they're physically violent.

Sorry to sound a grump, but I'd feel more positive if I knew that the same 676,000 people were also signing petitions to stop cuts to the local health and social care services I work for. In comparison to those, Clarkson doing wheelies in a Ferrari and burning off thousands of pounds worth of rubber doesn't seem very important, no matter how much money the programme brings to the BBC.

• Like 2

So PM, footballers who do a despicable deed should not be allowed to be in the public eye regaining their status and (possibly) becoming a role model to the public, but presenters of TV car shows (who I bet a pound to a penny was a Bully at School) can go around biffing people because your Kids like him. Thats OK behaviour is it?

What was that I said about the media being state controlled and Clarkson becoming front page news?? Total distraction from what is going on! With everyone focused on Clarkson how many knew about the government finally confirming the NHS not being exempt from the controversial Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership - this is being negotiated behind the closed doors of the wonderful EU commission between the US and EU. Just over a year ago or so, hardly anyone had heard of the TTIP and there have been many demonstrations up and down the UK against this with millions signing a petition and so on....did you know or have you got the blinkers on? Wake up.

It will effectively make the privatisation of the NHS irreversible - cue private, secret investors and American companies stepping in to use the NHS for their own ends. Not only that, it will allow corporates to sue the government for lost profits - totally ludicrous with the health service can you imagine that?

Also during the Clarkson furore there was an election debate - these two issues crept in totally under the radar. BOOM! So would you say we are like mushrooms? 'kept in the dark and fed s**t'

• Like 1

I find that the most surprising thing about this whole affair is that our Prime Minister felt he should put his two penarth in when you think of all the things that are going on in this less than perfect world we live in that should have his undivided attention. I suppose he thinks it makes him a man of the people. Mike.

• Like 1

Cameron is a superficial lightweight with no substance, gravitas, depth, ideology, character, integrity or genuine convictions. He is dismissed on the international stage as inconsequential and has no place outside the incredibly privileged bubble in which he has existed all his life. He is a cynical, nasty Bullingdon bully boy, with not the slightest concern for the lives of ordinary working folk. Personally, I think it is entirely appropriate that he should comment on the situation of soap stars and TV presenters. It is when he starts to talk about serious issues that I worry.

Sadly, the alternatives seem little better.

• Like 7

Cameron is a superficial lightweight with no substance, gravitas, depth, ideology, character, integrity or genuine convictions. He is dismissed on the international stage as inconsequential and has no place outside the incredibly privileged bubble in which he has existed all his life. He is a cynical, nasty Bullingdon bully boy, with not the slightest concern for the lives of ordinary working folk. Personally, I think it is entirely appropriate that he should comment on the situation of soap stars and TV presenters. It is when he starts to talk about serious issues that I worry.

Sadly, the alternatives seem little better.

I cant stand people that sit on the fence. Mike