Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tadvice

artherdaily

I owned a RX and had to part with that last August as a change of job meant it would just cost to much in fuel, I've since changed jobs again and now fuel is not an issue, so am looking to buy a SC in the near future

Hopefully going to go for the 2006 upgraded version with below 50k miles

Just need to know what to look out for when viewing

I always wanted a SC until I drove one. I'm a long time Lexus fan but the SC isn't one of their best.

Not much to look out for as they are very reliable. Some have had water ingress past worn roof seals.

cheers stevet

i know they arnt much of a looker, and that the reliabilty isnt a issue

would like to know what the pre 2006 auto box is like compared to the 2007 auto box

trouble is im also looking at new and old shape Jag XK, XKR, merc SL and CLS and 6 series BMW, all V8 versions

The Jag new and old shape are the best looking but I came to the conclusion I wasn't old enough yet! Like the SL but a lot don't have the rear seats. The 6 series the fastest and best handling but heard of lots of problems with engine/gearbox and not that good looking to me. Plus I just couldn't ever own a BMW, never liked the people that own them :)

If it's a late one with 50K miles or less that hasn't been abused then you should be on very safe ground. A quick trawl through the boards will tell you what to look for and what owners think of them. Unlike the other makes mentioned, the SC is very reliable with few weaknesses.

The excellent smooth changing 6 speed box is worth having as is all of the other minor upgrades like the AFS lights, Bluetooth, LED rear lights, etc but the earlier 5 speed SC is essentially the same design.

I bought mine as I have had Soarers in the past and promised myself I would buy a Mk4 Soarer SC430 as a project. I was convinced I would tire of it quickly but soon grew to enjoy and appreciate it very much. The Soarer was way, way ahead of its time and remains an engineering masterpiece with cult status. The SC430 is a slight departure but I think it does, in most respects, carry on the Soarer tradition.

If you like or can live with the styling and don't need to carry anyone in the back it's a great car to own and drive.

Thanks so far

I'm aware of the BMW V8 issues, which keeps them at the bottom of the list

I know I won't lose money on the jag as they have been steady or going up in price for a couple of years

Merc looking old and plain now

But the SC has something about it,

As does Maserati but the running costs

When exactly did the 6 speed box upgraded SC come into play as I think I'd rather have the few extra extras at the end of the day

I have a Nov 2005 460 SC and its got all the Mk 2 adds 6 speed box upgraded instruments and suspension. The 6 speed box is a dream and I have compared it to the BMW box on a 335 my son had. Its so much better than the BMW engine braking and kick down on the Lexus are much superior. This could be because the BMW was a diesel (chipped to 330bhp) .. But I just love the Lexus 6 speed auto.. I don't know of any car that does 80mph at only 2000 rpm like the 430sc and so quiet...The sound system is the best there is. Problems are mainly Battery drain (number of issues but if its never had a tracker fitted it may be ok). I also Have a Jag and like that too but the 430SC is special.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links