Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Won't Start

steve24

this problem has now occurred four times over the last few weeks. Parked up and switched off as normal. on returning shortly afterwards, put the key in ignition, dashboard lights up but nothing turns over. tried removing key and repeating process but nothing happens. tried locking and unlocking via remote; tried starting with door open and door closed but nothing works.

then suddenly, after a spell of rest - sometimes a few minutes and on one occasion an hour, the ignition turned over as normal and car started.

anyone out there have any idea what is happening or what is causing this to happen. Battery is attached fine; lights, air con and other electric components all working fine. Battery in remote i working. its as though despite dash lighting up, the engine is immobilised.

no cranking whatsoever; totally dead. didn't notice the security light flashing. when i returned to the car after it had been parked for period of time it turned over then started.

wondering if it could be a voltage issue or an intermittent fuse fault

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

after diagnostic check i was told the fault was the range sensor. i got a new one fitted and all seemed fine. got car home and an hour later went out and the same problem re occurred.

mechanic has suggested that i could be that we are not pressing down on the brake before turning the ignition - new one on us as we have had the car from new in 2003 and unless we simply did this without thinking, its not something either my wife or myself can point to as a procedure we no longer follow.

we had a new engine fitted a few months earlier and he says that perhaps the mapping codes require such a process to be followed.

as it is an intermittent problem its difficult to replicate this on demand and you naturally don't want to risk driving off somewhere, park up then return a short while later and have the fault leaving you stranded.

another mechanic has suggested we check the earth and then the starter motor so we are heading back to a garage for further checks.

fitted a new Battery

problem seemed gone; two days later and its back again. simply won't turn over after driving for an hour and then parking up for an hour. nothing displayed on dash to indicate a problem; no overheating, no sensor lights displaying anything problematical.

biggest brain wreck I've ever known.

wondering of this could be an immobiliser problem. can anyone advise. doors open fine using key fob remote; when key placed in the ignition ignition the security light continues to flash. everything lights up but there is simply no reaction from the engine. no turning over; nothing.

wait for a while; return to the car and it starts fine

desperate now

• 2 weeks later...

i reset the key /immobiliser by holding the key in the lock for a requisite number of seconds and after leaving the car it started.

next time we are out the same thing happened; refuses to start yet the lighting sequence is correct. the light stops flashing as soon as the key inserted.

once i got it started i took it to get a full diagnostic check and nothing showed up electronically. diagnostics showed not a single fault on anything; sensors; nothing.

opinion now is that it could be an intermittent starter motor problem but really its just a guessing game and i'm at my wits end

been checking around and i'm wondering of this is what some refer to as a HOT START failure. the ignition won't start when the car has been running and is HOT.

the question is; what can i do to reduce this heat problem.

some suggest it could be a voltage issue; i.e due to the heat the starter motor is getting too hot / not functioning.

from my point of view i think I'm ready to take a sledge hammer to it

I don't think it is an immobiliser issue because when that isn't disabled the engine still turns over, it just doesn't fire.

I'd say it is either an issue with the starter solenoid/relay or the ignition switch.

Hot start failures are normally the result of a faulty sensor, or leaking fuel injectors that stop the engine firing, the engine still normally turns over.

wondering of this could be an immobiliser problem. can anyone advise. doors open fine using key fob remote; when key placed in the ignition ignition the security light continues to flash. everything lights up but there is simply no reaction from the engine. no turning over; nothing.

wait for a while; return to the car and it starts fine

desperate now

This is why I thought it was an immobiliser issue because the light didn't go out when the key was inserted.

Hi at the back of the ignition switch there will be a wiring loom there will be power in this is usually a thick wire when you turn the key to the start position you should get power at the wire for the starter check this first and this will eliminate the ignition switch it will help if you have someone hold the key in the start position when checking

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have a similar problem. Sometime car wont start, like key is not recognized.

When I put key, the security lamp is still flushing (and TRC OFF signal) and after a few seconds I see E (on a display, but no code of an error).

This happens once in a moth, but when it happens there is no way to start a car. I assume that it is immobilised.

The buttons for open/close door is working, and I can turn the radio on, but can not start the car (not even fire).

A this situation last for a day,or two. After that car is normally starting, recognizes the key.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

I understand that it could be problem:

- with antenna (not reading the key) - but i don`t understand how can work a couple of weeks, and not working for a day or two, and after that work again normaly

- with ECU (read code does not match the one in computer) - like it forget the original code

- something else

I did go to mechanic, but it was when the key was recognized. So he said everything is ok.

Is there any way to find what is the problem and what do I have to change (just antenna, immobilizer, ECU or the whole system)?

p.s. I have Lexus IS200 SportCross 2.0

p.s.s. I ordered the original key from Lexus, but the problem arises once a month. So it`s not a key problem.
Thanks

• 2 months later...

apologies but i never did follow up on this issue and provide feedback. the issue turned out to be a simple starter motor problem. the starter motor was dried out and not performing correctly. the heat from the gearbox seemed to be making the starter motor hot and over time due to its close proximity to the gearbox. i guess the heat caused the starter to fail. when the car was left and things cooled and contracted the starter would function again

i replaced the starter and since then have not had a single starter issue whatsoever and more importantly nor has my wife, who uses the car o travel daily to work.

the new engine i had fitted is running exceptionally well. there was a slight issue with the radiator overflow draining but a bit of radiator sealant sorted that.

faith restored

• 6 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links