Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300

Wannabe

Hi there

I'm new to the forum, and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. I want to buy a used IS300 in a few months time - probably a 2001 model onwards - and was wondering:

Is it worth me stretching to an IS300 - is the E-shift system more fun than the standard auto box?

What kind of reduction could I realistically expect to haggle from a dealer, with no part-ex?

Has anyone used Lexus Cardiff for servicing, and if so, are their prices reasonable?

I've been reading the posts about stereos (Err3) and corroded / kerbed alloys, which has been really useful - this is a great website!

All the best - would really appreciate your help

Wannabe Lexus Owner

Ooh, a reply, thanks - I was beginning to feel unloved!!

The Navigator option is very tempting, I love gizmos - one of the reasons I'm so taken with the IS as opposed to the competition. (Also, love the looks and the fact that not every second car on the road is a Lexus).

I've got a 10yr old Corolla, so obviously this is a BIG step up and I want to get it right!

All the best

You'll love the small IS300...

If they made this in a Manual gear box, like in the USA, I'LL jump ...

I currently own an IS200 had it SUperchargerd for much more poke.

Mines a NAV model, and never regretted it, as the second hand value is only slightly different when choosing one with NAV.

Get i as you can't add it later, unless you go for an aftermarket option.

Hope this helps... there are loads of friendly folk on this site.. Perhaps there not awake yet :unsure:

I would get the IS300 over the IS200 any day. Go to your dealer and get a 24 hour test drive.

All IS300s are still under warranty so any problems will be sorted out. You shouldn't get an ERR3 because it has the new headunit.

The E-shift is more fun but after a while I think you will just leave the car in full auto mode.

Have a look here for what to look for, although the water pump, gearbox, clutch won't apply:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge...ex_v2&id=41&c=5

With no part-ex you should get £500 off the price but they tend not to move much more. You may get extras like mats, free servicing, latest sat. nav. disc etc. If you can hold off most dealers drop the price of their used stock by up to £1000 every two months if it doesn't sell but you run the risk of somebody else buying the car.

Use the Lexus website to find a car:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/approved.php?area=search

Thanks for your comments folks, much appreciated - I'll certainly take a print out of that webpage with me when I go for a test drive.

I've spent quite a while reading through the forum topics, and picked up a lot of useful info. I'm a bit worried about the desirability of the car to thieves / vandals - I live in an area with a long 'tradition' of car crime and would hate to see something I worked hard for disappear into the distance with some 16yr old twocer at the wheel. Have many of you suffered attempts to steal your pride and joy?

• 3 weeks later...

Do they not sell the IS300 with manual gear box in Europe?

As a genuine car fanatic I'm always looking for alternatives when it comes to changing car, even though I will probarly not change my car for the next 4-5 years. :blush: And the IS300 with manual gear has been an dream since the first time I saw they started to produce it.

Have many of you suffered attempts to steal your pride and joy?

They're very secure - won some security awards more than once. Can stand up to attacks for 5 minutes plus so thieves don't bother. If they nick it it will be by stealing the keys.

I started out with a IS200 SE Auto Navigator - loved it to bits with one exception - power (or rather lack of). On the test drive I didn't really notice it, but after a year of getting left behind by 1.4L Astras and the like it was time for a change. Don't get me wrong, the auto box in the 200 is smooth & sweet, it's just that it doesn't lend itself to being pushed - it starts to get uncooth.

The only option was to trade up & I've never looked back. The 300 as well as having more power, gets the HID headlights the 200 deserves, and I must say the photochromic mirrors are dead handy too. If anything the ride is quieter and more refined than the 200, and the auto box is as good as you'll get. I must admit, I leave it in "D" for 95% of the time. I did try some very amateurish 0-60 times to see what difference there is between fully automatic, semi-automatic with the buttons, and switching on/off the ECT PWR, but found that plain old "D" gets you there pretty much as quick as anything else.

Oh and welcome to the club! :)

Me too.

Auto's are a lazy mans car.

Can't beat a manual mate :P

I find the IS300 such a better drive than the 200. More power, smoother, quieter. I would take it anyday over the 200, manual or no manual gearbox.

I always said I wouldn't have an auto, now I don't think I would want a manual again.

Anyway all IS200 manual drivers do is complain about the poor gearbox and clutch :P :lol:

Hello again, and Happy New Year

Thanks for your replies, it's really useful to hear from people who have lived with the car for a while - it's easy to get carried away with a test drive and just see the good points!! How are you all doing now that the weather has got a bit colder, I hear the IS is a bit tail-happy?

I read that Lexus might be putting together an IS430 - that would be fun, if it ever gets to production, fingers crossed!! Don't think I can wait that long though.....

All the best

The IS300 a lazy man's car? Call me 'Bone Idle' then :lol:

In bad weather I wouldn't say the IS300 is any more tail happy than any other modern rear-wheel drive car in it's class. It's really down to how you drive it, be as sensible as you would with any car when it's slippy.

Now if you want tail happy, I could lend you the Soarer TT. 280bhp, RWD, no traction control. Starting to sound fun? :shifty:

The IS430? I'll let Mat explain... :winky:

same here! although I would recommend the IS300 auto over the 200 any day. I originally went to the dealer to test drive a 200 but thought it lacked a bit in the power department

I tested the 300 with sports kit and was hooked. I ended up spending a lot more than I originally wanted to but I havent regretted it once - the IS300 is my favourite car.

As for bad weather, I drove about 800 miles over the christmas and new year period, a lot of it in the Lake District over the major passes when they were icey (Hardnott, Ryenose, Honister, Kirkstone) and the IS behaved impeccably. I tried turning traction control on a stretch of empty icey road one morning (I think it was the 29th) and it still handled well considering the conditions. I suppose it depends on how much the tail coming out freaks you out - imo once you get to know the car you can normally tell when its on the edge - I dont find it gives me that many surprises in the handling department...... touch wood B)

Me too.

Auto's are a lazy mans car.

Can't beat a manual mate :P

Hang on a mo...

I wonder how many IS200 manual owners would choose to hang on to their car if offered a GS430 Sport Auto in it's place?? :shifty:

Thanks again for your words of wisdom!

Having read some comments (and had some nasty experiences on icy roads in the past) I was a bit worried about the IS being tail-happy in bad weather, but I guess it's a case of getting to know the car's capabilities (and mine!) properly - would hate to splash out on a 300 just to put it in a ditch!!!

You guys sound very knowledgable about these cars, I hope you don't mind me pestering you in future when I think of new questions!

All the best