Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1G Gte

1979roy

Just remember that any engine conversion you're planning, whether it be 1G-GTE, 1JZ, 2JZ, etc - whatever figure you have in mind to do it - double it. the 2JZ-GTE conversion sounds simple enough and inexpensive, but 1JZ and 2JZ conversions often end up going into the £10k realm, and is that really worth doing on a £1500 car? Especially when you bear in mind the 1G-FE can easily be turbo'd (you're looking at under £2500 all in, although add more if you plan to swap out the duel-mass flywheel for a lightened one, and add a full, turbo-back exhaust), which on stock internals can safely hold 13psi all day (which is about 290-300bhp). If it was me, I'd be turbo'ing the 1G-FE, setting the boost limit to 10psi, one of which recently dyno'd at 280bhp @ 10psi, and spending whats left of your original budget on the suspension and brakes.

• Like 1

Matt thanks for the info it will all be done on a budget me and my mate are a dab hand at conversions so labour is not a problem ill prob stick to turboing my lump I gotta do the stem seal anyways so ill rebuild the head at the same time and ill prob put my own turbo set up together too

The labour isn't the part that mounts the costs up. It's all the other bits you don't realise you'll need or have to fabricate. The 1JZ/2JZ conversions that have run into £10k plus, that I mentioned above, were both self builds, not paying someone else to do it. And both were done by more than competent mechanics (one was done by the guy that now builds, sells and install turbo kits on the IS, and it was one of his kits that hit 280bhp @ 10psi)

My take on it, is if you're looking for moderate (i.e. under 300bhp) then turbo the 1G-FE. If you want big power, like 4 or 500 bhp, look at the JZ's. The stock internals on a 2JZ with a single turbo conversion (do not confuse that with the lesser single turbo 2JZ; I mean the twin turbo 2JZ converted to single turbo) will easily take 450+ on standard internals, and it's not a big deal to build these to a bullet proof 600bhp. The 1JZ with the correct internals can be just as bullet proof, and you can wind it up to the same power levels and sit on the redline all day long without it breaking a sweat.

all depends on roughly how much power you looking at and mainly your budget. will it be a primarily a track car or a daily driven car.. pretty much any engine can be turboed but depends on how much ££'s you looking to put into it to get you there. sparkystav did a good job with his conversions but if you noticed he is always having problems i didnt read through all the pages in his thread but he seems to be working on the car often which involves time and money if one has a second car to use thats no problem but if the IS your sole form of transportation then that becomes an inconvenience so you need to ask your self all these questions before you make a decision.

i personally think the only way to upgrade the IS200 reliably, cheaper and less hassle will be to drop a stock 2JZ-GTE engine from the Toyota Aristo/Supra along with the Supra 6 speed manual gearbox. without modding anything else, the stock engine makes over 320bhp and 160-170mph if thats not enough with intake and exhasut mod takes it to about 350bhp. no need to change/play with cams, head, gaskets, pistons etc.. this is stock

if you dont want turbo power but mucscle power you could drop the 4.0/4.3 litre V8 from the late model LS400 or LS430's and source a manual gearbox to fit. stock power from these engines 280-300 bhp.

i recon these two routes are cheaper in the long run, will run reliably as they are stock and less hassle. the challenge will be making fitting them into IS200 chasis and making the wiring work.

i recon these two routes are cheaper in the long run

Yeah ok! £10k 2JZ swap for 320bhp, or turbo conversion on the 1G-FE (with "no need to change/play with cams, head, gaskets, pistons etc.. this is stock") and making a reliable 280bhp for under £2500 fully fitted (and no need for "the challenge will be making fitting them into IS200 chasis and making the wiring work")

and making a reliable 280bhp for under £2500 fully fitted

Lexus would have offered a turbo instead of a supercharger if 280bhp from 1G-FE was relaible.. if £2500 you quote is realistic then lots of guys on here would be running IS200 turbo's including you. no one would waste time spending £2000 on a supercharger kit which makes 70bhp less than a turbo kit which costs about the same..

and who says you needed £10k for an engine swap.. i got quoted £5000 for an LS400 V8 swap from these conversion guys based in coventry and this was all in..

Lexus didn't offer a turbo or a supercharger conversion on the IS. 280bhp from a stock 1G-FE is reliable. The £2500 quote is realistic (it's actually less than that). Lots of people don't know what's involved or where to look. It wouldn't be including me as I'm not looking to get any more power from my car. And most people only think the supercharger option is the only option.

The difference between you and I, Knobby, is I actually speak to the people in the know - not just look things up on web pages and copy and paste it.