Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

109Mph Caught By Police

ls400lpg

Hi Everyone

My mate has been caught doing 107mph in his LS430. What are the laws. The policeman said he will recieve a letter from magistrates.

Please he is dead worried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over 100mph is a court summons, defiante ban and a definite fine and or points. Amount of each will depend on circumstances e.g. Traffic volume, weather conditions, road conditions etc. licence history also comes in to play.

The day I collectd my ISF i was caught doing 102 on an empty motorway in dry clear and sunny conditions. I received £500 fine, 14 day ban and no points. I had a clean licence at the time.

Stu

There is no excuse unless you can prove it was a necessity, such as trying to escape harm.

100+ is normally either 6 points and a fine or an instant ban.

Unless it's changed since I was caught being a naughty boy on the M1 back in 2000/1-ish, anything over 95 is an instant ban. Luckily, I was only being tracked on average speed, and mine was 94.6mph, so I escaped with 3 points and a £60 fine (I thought it would have been more, but I wasn't going to argue it!)

Depends on the circumstances but minimum of a short trrm ban or minimum 6 points, means tested related fine between £100-1000 ( 2500 max motorway)

Could also be charged with reckless driving in addition.

.... then there's the impact on his next year's insurance premium .............

Malc

Very true Malc, I somehow don't think a speed awareness course will be offered in this case.

No chance of a speed awareness course ...it'll be a hefty fine and guareented ban and insurance after ban will be sky high

Speed awareness courses are only offered if slightly over the speed limit ie 36 in a 30 or in my case 4yrs ago I was doing 46 on a single carriageway in a lorry (legally only allowed 40 for a lorry on a single carriageway) luckily I was caught South of border and offered this rather than points and fine... North of border we don't have speed awareness courses just fined and points

But in this case doing over 100 is court and highly likely banned with substantial fine

No chance of a speed awareness course ...it'll be a hefty fine and guareented ban and insurance after ban will be sky high

Speed awareness courses are only offered if slightly over the speed limit ie 36 in a 30 or in my case 4yrs ago I was doing 46 on a single carriageway in a lorry (legally only allowed 40 for a lorry on a single carriageway) luckily I was caught South of border and offered this rather than points and fine... North of border we don't have speed awareness courses just fined and points

But in this case doing over 100 is court and highly likely banned with substantial fine

My premium only rose by £100 so that's not true.

Stuart

My premium only rose by £100 so that's not true.

Stuart

£100! That would nearly double my insurance :)

What would you consider a big insurance increase Stuart? My insurance is around £200 and wife's is just under £150 so an increase of £100 would be a very big increase. Don't forget also that it will be increased for about 5 years. It would also affect both premiums as we are named on each others cars.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone

My mate has been caught doing 107mph in his LS430. What are the laws. The policeman said he will recieve a letter from magistrates.

Please he is dead worried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The law you refer to, the Road Traffic Act 1988, amended in 2014, and in force since September relates to new sentencing guidelines for speeding drivers.

Part of the legislation gives guidance to magistrates to consider prison sentences in instances of drivers exceeding 100 mph in all circumstances, excepting certain mitigating circumstances.

Tell your friend to take a taxi to court, his licence for shredding and a tooth brush.

Your thread title mentions 109 mph, but in your thread you mention 107 mph, which is it?

The OP seems I have done a runner.

In modern cars it is very easy to do over 100mph and be in complete control. The cars today are pllanted, stable and cruise at high speeds with ease.

Stu

• Like 1

The OP seems I have done a runner.

In modern cars it is very easy to do over 100mph and be in complete control. The cars today are pllanted, stable and cruise at high speeds with ease.

Stu

But the law advises you against doing 100 mph, the law makers do not just come up with an arbitrary number for speed limits, a little thought and research goes into it.

I have said this many times, but don't mind saying it again, its worth repeating.

Its not the car doing 100 mph that is the problem, its the ***** behind the wheel doing 100 mph and the poor unfortunate motorists that gets in the way of this ***** doing 100 mph.

• Like 1

.................... and it's the unfortunates that get in the way of a speeding car, pedestrians, animals and the like ............. they often just appear from nowhere ......... . don't they !!

........... today, was cut up by a loony driving his car at speed and erratically ............ . and a sticker on his back window saying " child on board " etc ................. hahahahhaha .......... it's ok for others to drive sensibly when HE has his kids in his car BUT for him to do the same, irrationally and erratically driving when others might have kids in theirs, well ............... it just beggars belief the single minded stupidity of such a driver ...............

Malc

sorry, rant over

• Like 1

I don't disagree and clearly it is over be legal limit I am just saying it is safer to do it in modern cars than it ever has been in the past. This in no way condones it just stating a fact.

Stuart