Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Creaking Noise When Going Over The Bumps

lapyiwin

I wonder if anyone come across with their Lexus IS220D making creaking noises from suspension when going over bumps. It doesn't creak when you drive over rough surface etc.

It sounds like coming from the front area. The strange thing is noise cannot be recreated by pushing up and down at either side of the shock bar area while it is not moving. I even shake the car on MOT test plate machine. It does not make a sound.

Garage couldn't find any problem with ball joint, links, coils and shock absorb bar. It is really frustrating that it creaks like hell only when you drive over the speed bump. The steering feel absolutely fine. No abnormal behavior going over pot holes or cornering.

Mechanic thinks it might be sway bar/anti roll bar bushes but it is just a guess. I don't wanna be attacking the wrong target. Just to let you now, I have already lube and sprayed copper grease and Lithum grease to sway bar bush from outside but I haven't taken it out and grease it.. It doesn't make any improvement at all.

Any suggestion or help will be greatly appreciated. I am now loosing sleep over it.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

My LS400 has always made front end creaking noises going over speed humps when driving it from a cold start, I can drive back over them 10 minutes later and no creak, never failed an MOT on bushes in 8 years.

One thing to check is seized brake caliper slide pins they can cause strange noises.

Thanks for the reply. I have already asked Mechanic to check the brake caliper visually. He told me the pins are in place securely. All four wheels tested on the ramp, the brake calipers don't make a sound or move when wheel is spinning.

I wonder if anyone come across with their Lexus IS220D making creaking noises from suspension when going over bumps. It doesn't creak when you drive over rough surface etc.

It sounds like coming from the front area. The strange thing is noise cannot be recreated by pushing up and down at either side of the shock bar area while it is not moving. I even shake the car on MOT test plate machine. It does not make a sound.

Garage couldn't find any problem with ball joint, links, coils and shock absorb bar. It is really frustrating that it creaks like hell only when you drive over the speed bump. The steering feel absolutely fine. No abnormal behavior going over pot holes or cornering.

Mechanic thinks it might be sway bar/anti roll bar bushes but it is just a guess. I don't wanna be attacking the wrong target. Just to let you now, I have already lube and sprayed copper grease and Lithum grease to sway bar bush from outside but I haven't taken it out and grease it.. It doesn't make any improvement at all.

Any suggestion or help will be greatly appreciated. I am now loosing sleep over it.

Had a similar problem. Service Manager went out with me and drove the car himself could not hear a thing luckily enough on the way back to the garage it started to creak. It was the "D" bushes on the anti roll bar. They lubricated it and have not had a problem since.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think it is dried up D Bush as well, I sprayed the outside housing which seems to do absolutely nothing. I haven't taken it apart and greased the rubber bush because I have to put it on the ramp and take out all the underside engine cover to get to the bolts holding the sway bar in place. Ordered the new bushes from eBay and gonna ask Mechanic to replace it for me.

Or do you think re-greasing will do the trick?

I know that they lubricated the D bushes they did not change them. With Lexus Dealers you never actually see what they do but it has not been a problem since. Luckily this particular Lexus Dealer had a Service Manager who was a bit of a legend on this site unfortunately he moved on. Where is James Cook?

I know that they lubricated the D bushes they did not change them. With Lexus Dealers you never actually see what they do but it has not been a problem since. Luckily this particular Lexus Dealer had a Service Manager who was a bit of a legend on this site unfortunately he moved on. Where is James Cook?

UPDATE: today I went to my local Grays garage with brand new set of bushing I got off from internet. The old one looks ok to me apart from having slightly wider centre. I asked them to replaced front and back anti-roll bar bushes anyway.

Greased the new bushes for good measure. Put everything back in half an hour. The rear one was much easier when you do it on the ramp.

Guess what! After the job, the car is absolute joy to drive again .No more annoying creaking noise when going over bumps.

New sets of bushes cost approx £40. That's all you need to fix it permanently (well sort of). Thank you all for very useful advice.

• 2 months later...

Bad news. Exactly after 1 month of replacing the front anti-roll bar bushes, the creaking/squeaking noise has returned..

It was brand new rubber bushes. They didn't come with any grease, so I applied some red rubber grease before putting it in.

I am now very disappointed to hear them squeak everything the car raises up a bit in first gear, tight cornering and going over the speed bumps...

I'm thinking about buying another set of polyurethane version. But I don't see them available on eBay. Do you guys think Poly bushes will resolve the issue?