Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bye Bye Clarkson

lee789

Well he's gone, and I doubt Hammond and May will be renewing their contracts later this year either. My guess is that all three will sign up with Sky or C4 to present a Top Gear clone. Although he brought it on himself, I'm quite surprised the BBC took such a hard line with Clarkson, especially after they turned a blind eye to the paedos and pervs that worked there for decades.

• Like 1

I'm glad. The show needs a refresh and getting rid of him or all 3 of them is no bad thing. Maybe it will survive and maybe it won't. Either way it was tired, contrived and as a car show a load of poop. Good luck to them if they go elsewhere.

Stu

• Like 1

I see William Hill are offering odds on new presenters, with the favorites being Chris Evans, Piers Morgan and Boris Johnson. Gawd help us, Joe Pasquale and the Chuckle Brothers would be better.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see the back of him, especially as my daughter and wife think of me as a Jezza lookalike !

I don't watch light entertainment shows on tv, that's what TG has become.

Maybe I'm a bit of a nerd, but I'm interested in cars and the show isn't about cars any more.

If my memory serves me correctly, I remember Quentin Willson demonstrating a stable glass of water on a revving Lexus V8 engine many years ago ? I found the William Woollard era interesting too, always about cars.

Told you I am a nerd.....car programmes don't have mass appeal I guess......I'll get me coat !!

• Like 1

That's the issue. I like shows like that as well but they don't appeal to the non car needs so don't make money. They just need a mix of proper information and reviews with some larking about.

Stu

No chance of that Chris. I've owned 2 or 3 cars over the years that were trashed by Top Gear, as well as a couple they raved about. The problem is Clarkson and co only drive the cars for a couple of hours, and are only interested in thrashing them. They have no idea what they are going to be like on a long term basis, or how they are going to be driven by individual owners. I remember May raving about the Jaguar XF, and Clarkson about the XJ, and having owned both, they were unreliable with iffy build quality, and I was glad to get rid of them. The RCF is a fine car, beautifully built, and with a price tag that puts the manufacturers of some other performance cars to shame.

No chance of that Chris. I've owned 2 or 3 cars over the years that were trashed by Top Gear, as well as a couple they raved about. The problem is Clarkson and co only drive the cars for a couple of hours, and are only interested in thrashing them. They have no idea what they are going to be like on a long term basis, or how they are going to be driven by individual owners. I remember May raving about the Jaguar XF, and Clarkson about the XJ, and having owned both, they were unreliable with iffy build quality, and I was glad to get rid of them. The RCF is a fine car, beautifully built, and with a price tag that puts the manufacturers of some other performance cars to shame.

But until the RCF has been around a while there is no evidence regarding reliability, faults etc. As you say, Top Gear did not drive cars long term. In all honesty the RCF can only be judged when it has been around a while to judge how beautifully built it is.

Yes, perhaps the term beautifully built, and reliability assessments are a bit premature, but the actual quality of the materials and attention to detail is extremely good, which is a lot more than can be said for some rivals.

Well he's gone, and I doubt Hammond and May will be renewing their contracts later this year either. My guess is that all three will sign up with Sky or C4 to present a Top Gear clone. Although he brought it on himself, I'm quite surprised the BBC took such a hard line with Clarkson, especially after they turned a blind eye to the paedos and pervs that worked there for decades.

Ironic really. Mike.

There's only so many times you can laugh at Hammond driving into the back of May's car. Let's face it, it's not really a car show anymore anyway - it's a sketch show with cars in it.

I'd go back to watching Fifth Gear, except that the presenters are even worse... (for different reasons)...

Surely there has to be a spot for a motoring program that reviews cars that people actually drive? Comparisons between the latest AMG 600bhp monster and a BMW equivalent are a bit pointless for me. And somehow I can't imaging that if you've got the money to buy one, you're going to be watching a TV show about them...

• Like 1

The guy was violent at work to a fellow employee.

If any of you or indeed I behaved like this at our place of employment we too would be fired!

BBC had no choice, they had to fire him, and although I will miss top gear he really had to go.

By the way, James Mays twitter already says "former TV presenter"

• Like 1

I can't understand why he reported himself! Technically he was not employed by the BBC (so was not violent to a fellow employee) and was under contract purely for Top Gear.

Will this affect his upcoming contract with the BBC and if so would he be in a position to sue for breach of contract since the offence happened on a different contract.

Whilst I agree with you that if you are employed then this sort of conduct could lead to instant dismissal I think maybe this might have been "handbags at 50 paces!"

I've just read an article saying that JC could be re-employed, but with someone else over him, to cut out his troublesome bits, rather than the current bloke, who is a long time buddy and ex public school companion.

I hope this won't happen, as I can't stand him or the little one, though I think May would be fine with less juvenile co-presenters.

Clarkson can go back to his chat show, which was pretty abysmal, as I recall.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links