Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should Ls Bring Out Diesel As An Option

Other prestige cars ie 7 series, S class has diesel engines.

If LS came out with a diesel engine would people go for it rather than petrol and more economical to run?

I don't think Lexus will try making a diesel engine car again, especially after the head gasket issues on the is220d. That was 1 of the reasons they stopped making diesels

If Lexus put a Diesel engine into a LS they might as well take the L away and replace it with a T so it would be a TS (TRACTOR SALOON) rather than Luxury Saloon .... I'd never buy one as I hate diesels with a vengeance ...

• Like 3

.................. and Lexus developed a kevlar timing belt for the original Ls to remove the excessive noise effect from having from a timing chain.......... the pursuit of excellence.

Timing chains often need replacement too and when they snap, well, it really is catastrophic.

And as for diesels, a particulate filter in many marques, a regular service item, can cost several £000's.

I'm ok with my V8 petrol and nigh silence

Malc

...... and does it need changing or servicing ever ? I know many think it lasts for ever on other cars but quite frankly, they just don't.

The Ls460, lovely car BUT it has a mild steel exhaust ?

Malc

I would not go with diesel. Reason one is particulate matter from diesels is a lung killer, and as pointed out the filters are a real pain.

What seems to happen is that a DPF when it gets clogged with up with gunk, then it uses diesel to overwash, and dumps diesel into the sump.

Diesel is hygroscopic and sulphurous, so in the sump this creates a gentle sulphuric acid which eats the engine (and destroys turbos), so you then have to have your sump oil replaced (so removing a DPF is generally a good thing).

The cost of maintaining a modern diesel is the hidden cost that most people are not made aware of, so my conclusion is avoid diesel no matter how darned quite it can be made.

And one day the government will admit (what has been known for 20 years) that diesel is likely to cause as much damage to our lungs as cigarettes do (and they sat on that one for a few decades to protect the tabacco industry). The odd cigar/cigarette is okay, apply the same rule to oil burners.

Malc,

I agree with you about the timing chain in the 460. The servicing schedule doesn't mention it but, it stands to reason, it must need changing sometime.

As for the mild steel exhaust, I must admit that surprised me. I remember, when I was buying my first LS in 1997 (it was a 1994 LS400) I asked the salesman about the things covered by the extended guarantee. He ran through various items and I asked, specifically, about the exhaust. He gave me a mildly amused look and said 'Sir, it is stainless steel - and we've never changed one'.

Quality.......sheer quality :)

............ and my exhaust is still fine with the only work to keep it that way was that buggering about with the £30 welding of the flanges or whatever it was a couple of years ago !

Just turned 168k miles today too

Malc

Diesels are losing favour as they realise they were not as clean as the manufacturers claimed, as there are other emissions in addition to CO2. I suspect they will start to lose their tax advantages which, coupled to dual mass flywheel and DPF problems etc. may well see their popularity reduce dramatically. Perhaps Lexus were on the right lines from the start with their hybrid developments

in defence of diesels,i had 2 bmw 530d company cars,before i retired,and iv got to say they were absolutely faultless,i used to to 40/50,000 miles a year,fantastic performance,approx 45mpg,little noisy in morning at start up service intervals at about 16/18000 miles,depending how you drove it, servicing exspensive,but i never had to pay for it, i got an ls400 when that went back,i don't think i would want an 18 yr old diesel bmw

toyota don't seem to be very good with diesels,the one in the amazon landcruiser is a bit archaic,fhe d4d in the hilux and colorado

landcruiser are good but not that refined,you would'nt want any of these in an ls

Give me my creamy beautiful V8 any time against a diesel. There are too many hidden costs with modern diesels , and with a remarkable nearly 30ish to the gallon on a long run I get, I don't think the economics stack up anyway.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links