Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav Updates

PWOOD

My 2014 Advance is due in next weekend for its first service. I have been using the Sat Nav a bit more recently and its clearly not up to date on speed limits especially in FIFE and also a few junctions which I know were changed way before I got my car. Is the Sat Nav updated at the service with the latest updates. My car was bought new from Lexus Edinburgh. I could ask them of course but its a Saturday and figured someone else must have had theirs serviced by now.

My 2014 Advance is due in next weekend for its first service. I have been using the Sat Nav a bit more recently and its clearly not up to date on speed limits especially in FIFE and also a few junctions which I know were changed way before I got my car. Is the Sat Nav updated at the service with the latest updates. My car was bought new from Lexus Edinburgh. I could ask them of course but its a Saturday and figured someone else must have had theirs serviced by now.

Sat nav updates are not included with services. They'll be wanting a hefty amount for an update - up to £300 I think

Nav updates really aren't worth the money Lexus charge. They are still desperately clinging on to an old business model of charging £2000 for a nav unit and £150 for an update when you can get a better functioning system as an app on a smartphone for £20 with updates.

If you do want an update then you can go direct to Lexus Europe which tended to be slightly cheaper via a dealer in the past - not sure if that is still the case

http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/Home/Index

I seem to recall I was entitled to an update when I was sold it but it was a while ago. I'll make some calls on Monday. I don't use it often enough for that sort of money.

That's why I never buy a car with built-in sat nav. I have a Garmin with lifetime updates for £80.

I bought a vent mount which keeps it all nice and tidy. You can also use the Garmin in any car, built-in you can't.

With regards to buying new with sat nav, I would have asked for at least first 2 services and nav updates whilst still under warranty. If they refuse, try another dealer.

I got 3 services and a load of cash off and the salesmans tie :-). The Advance had everything I wanted and happened to have sat nav. I get the sensible argument for going Garmin etc but they are a target for tea leafs and having to remove each time would bug me...less than paying a grand for inbuilt on though. I do like the big screen in my Advance which is easily read without having to take eyes off the road to far.

Just like car stereo thefts, sat nav thefts are way down on what they were when portable sat navs started becoming popular. I'm not suggesting you leave one on the screen 24/7, but it's far less common to have a car broken into for the nav than it used to be. Most have quick release mounts so you can remove it in a flash. Me personally, I like the OEM built in look, but just not the OEM built in product ;) Hence why I ripped the screen out of the OEM motorised nav housing and put an aftermarket touchscreen in there. Although I'm guessing that's probably not an option for you new-car guys! :D

Updates are a rip off as they are not licences by Lexus. Thay are supplied by third party then Lexus add their cut.

I've had one once which was CD based and wanted £130 for updates,10 years ago. Since then I have always been anti built-in systems.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/29/2015 at 9:31 AM, adnewton said:

I bought a vent mount which keeps it all nice and tidy

Thanks for the heads up on the vent mount, I ordered one on the strength of your post... have just fitted it cheap, easy, smart... nice one Adam. Agree about Garmin advantage over built in but its just a matter of preference I suppose.