Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I wanted my new MK4 LPG like my Mk3.

I went to Leeds today and he said it is illegal to put the adapter in the petrol cap as this will invalidate your insurance. What a downer!!!!!

Is this true as I do not want a hole in my body or bumper.

Please any help anyone!!!!!

Mine is under the rear bumper. It does mean I have to kneel down behind the car to connect the LPG hose when filling the tank, but I have a small mat for that. The connection is all but invisible.

It is illegal to use an adapter in this country, never heard of anyone being prosecuted but when LPG comes into the MOT it will be picked up then and your car will fail. As we all know insurance companies will find anyway possible to get out of paying money so its up to you to find out if this will be a problem for them. LPG converted vehicles coming in from the Eurozone have a special dispensation for using adapters while they visit over here as we have to over there, except you of course. I have mine mounted in the bumper and it doesn't bother me being seen. Good luck Mike.

It is illegal to use an adapter in this country, never heard of anyone being prosecuted but when LPG comes into the MOT it will be picked up then and your car will fail. As we all know insurance companies will find anyway possible to get out of paying money so its up to you to find out if this will be a problem for them. LPG converted vehicles coming in from the Eurozone have a special dispensation for using adapters while they visit over here as we have to over there, except you of course. I have mine mounted in the bumper and it doesn't bother me being seen. Good luck Mike.

I presumed that the OP meant filler, as opposed to adapter.

I'm sure he did, but to fit under the petrol flap requires a small filler, which then needs the adapter in this country.

Aside from the legality issue, some installers on the lpg forum say that with the strain put on the small diameter fittings by some pumps, they are prone to snapping.

Sorry not sure what OP is. Mike.

"A brief run-down on rules governing the type and positioning of filler points;

1. Fillers can only be mounted on the outside of the car's body. * (See note at foot of page)

2. Fillers should be mounted horizontally (not facing upward) or pointing downward so that water and debris cannot collect in the orifice.

3. Recessed Box Fillers mounted in a body panel must be vented to atmosphere on the back face. * (See note at foot of page)

4. Only a 'fixed bayonet' type filler point can be fitted if LPGA (UK LPG ) certification is required.

5. Filler points should be at least 10" (250mm) from any exhaust tailpipe.

6. Fillers must be securely mounted. If mounted on a flexible bumper, that area will have to be reinforced.

Fixed Bayonet Filler

LPGA (UK LPG) regulations call for the use of fixed bayonet filler points which need no adapter for use in UK, effectively banning the use of adapter/filler arrangements.

The recommended Fixed Bayonet Filler (centre of picture) is mounted on a bracket fitted to the rear bumper on this car. This is one of the only positions that will conform to regulations but remain easy enough to use. A coil is put in the pipe to prevent it rupturing during a rear - end shunt, but even if it pipe where completely severed the multi valve would stop any significant (large scale) leakage. All that can happen in that case is the escape of pipe content since the last fill, rarely more than 30 or 40 millilitres.

NOTE that filler points have to be mounted no less than 250mm (10") from any part of the car's exhaust system. This means that cars with twin exhausts cannot have a filler mounted on either side of the rear bumper."

Mine is under the rear bumper too.

It is held horizontally by a strong L shaped bracket screwed into the floor.

I have painted the bracket black and it has a black press-on fit plastic square cover over the filler to stop any ingress of dirt or water. You can buy the covers from Tinley Tech. With a black cover and black painted bracket, this makes the filler more or less invisible.

I have a very similar arrangement. It means the bodywork remains unblemished.

An interesting bit of information, from the same site I posted earlier, regarding painting the filler cap,if mounted on the wing:

"Color 'coding' or matching to bodywork.
The type of plastic that is used to make the Recessed Filler box does not provide a good 'key' for paint. It doesn't matter how much the surface is abraded (sanded), nor what kind of paint is used, it will not stick properly. The addition of plasticiser to the paint is meant for application to a different type of plastic (that used to make bumpers etc.) and is not successful on a polypropelene filler cap. In addition, the plastic will expand and contract with temperature changes which will make the paint crack and separate.
Go LPG are a professional company and do not offer things that cannot be delivered, hence we do not offer painting of this kind filler cap. It might be better to leave it plain black instead of ending up with it looking like this after 3 months or so."
I wonder if Plastidip might do the job, providing you can get a close match to the colour of your car?

Is under the bumper illegal as it has to be horizontal I heard

Never heard that one before but when LPG comes into the MOT the filler will have to be a certain distance from the ground. Mike

In the past when I have had some doubt about whether a minor-modification will be passable for the MOT, I have just popped along to the garage who do my MOTs, and asked the mechanic whether he would pass it.

Simple, free and straight from the guy who will be interpreting and applying the appropriate rule/regulation.

The thing you must all remember at the moment is that there is no law at all governing the use or installation of LPG systems. All the things that have been spoken about on here are on the governments list for LPG when they incorporate LPG systems into the MOT until then anything goes. There are some things that are known they want to introduce so its worth knowing these because if you have for instance the filler connection to close to the ground it involve more money getting it fixed to government standards. Its also worth noting that they have been going to introduce these checks for at least the last 5 years and it hasn't happened yet.

As for the stuff quoted by UKLPG most of the membership here at the LOC know exactly what I think of these self appointed sheriffs who are not government backed have nothing to do with the government, have never had government backing and come to that neither do they have the backing of the majority of insurance company. Just ignore them all they wont is more money out of you. If your insurance company say they wont insure you unless they get a certificate from UKLPG educate them as to what power this self appointed organisation haven't got in a polite manner and find an insurance company that will insure you with the certificate your chosen installer gives you, there are now plenty of them out there. Mike

seems strange,a friend of mine has a volvo s80 bi fuel,this has the petrol and lpg filler under the fuel flap,he uses no adaptor,its how it came out the factory for use in uk .you would of thought a car thats built by a manufacturer would conform to all regulations

...... my simple understanding is that if and when the Govt brings in specifics for MOTs then that which existed in the vehicle manufacture prior to the introduction of the " legislation " is ok. Henceforth the new vehicle changes and delivery are required to conform.

e.g seat belt rules, lighting and brakes rules too, installation of tow bars for instance ....... older cars that were built to comply with the then rules are ok for the future without reconfiguration.

What the MOT regime might be for vehicles having been adapted since manufacture, say with the installation of post vehicle production LPG systems, well, it's anybody's guess until that rulebook is produced !

It might well transpire that the Govt will require modifications to existing installation profiles.

Malc

seems strange,a friend of mine has a volvo s80 bi fuel,this has the petrol and lpg filler under the fuel flap,he uses no adaptor,its how it came out the factory for use in uk .you would of thought a car thats built by a manufacturer would conform to all regulations

There are no regulations over here and as far as I am aware non over there either. Mike

I've not experienced any problems at all with paint peeling off my colour-coded plastic LPG filler cap. It was painted 3 years ago to match the dark blue paintwork and looks in the same new condition today as the day the car was converted. Don't know what paint was used but I'm very happy with it. True, my LPG installer was a bit of a perfectionist, which in my book can only be viewed as a good thing.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links