Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My genuine Toyota Battery let me down a few weeks ago when the car refused to start after being left at the airport for a week and was replaced.

Today the EML and Trac Off lights appeared on the dash so with my trusty paperclip I read off the codes.

Code 13 RPM Signal No.2

Code 21 O2 sensor left bank

Code 28 O2 sensor right bank.

So basically this is saying I have a wheel sensor down and both O2 sensors???

My genuine Toyota battery let me down a few weeks ago when the car refused to start after being left at the airport for a week and was replaced.

Today the EML and Trac Off lights appeared on the dash so with my trusty paperclip I read off the codes.

Code 13 RPM Signal No.2

I haven't got anything constructive to add, just a question. What is this "special tool" you use to read the codes with, and how is it done? thanks.

My genuine Toyota battery let me down a few weeks ago when the car refused to start after being left at the airport for a week and was replaced.

Code 13 RPM Signal No.2

I haven't got anything constructive to add, just a question. What is this "special tool" you use to read the codes with, and how is it done? thanks.

The special tool is a bent paperclip, on the pre OBDII models that is all that is needed to access codes. Simply short out 2 specific pins on the diagnostic socket and count the flashes on the EML/ABS/TRAC lights to get the codes.

Sounds like a poor earth connection somewhere for multiple unrelated errors to suddenly appear.

I think code 13 relates to a cam/crank engine sensor rather than the ABS.

Cheers Colin, having now had a little more time it would appear you are correct, when I saw RPM sensor and the "Trac Off" light also illuminated I immediately but wrongly assumed a wheel sensor.

Diagnostics continue :)

A break in the weather so I decided to investigate and after 30 seconds found this,the cam sensor wiring.

So it's now out with the soldering iron, looks like it was never redressed properly after the cambelt change but lasted 5 years since. So not Toyota reliabilty but mans involvement :)

Will update later.

post-12144-0-31998800-1427887885_thumb.j

My battery was 15 years old when it finally died. Cant grumble I suppose. Mike

Sods law Mike but this is the 4th Battery in 9 years the last one that just failed was purchased from Lexus Derby with a 3 year warranty, I have every other receipt for the car but this one and I suspect it is still under warranty.

It may be lack of use causing the premature failures,car spends more time in the garage than on the road.

Tis fixed!!! Remade the broken connection and redressed the wiring and all is now good once again re the EML.

Have noticed the sepentine belt has been damaged though, there is a good chunk out one edge about 2" long and a tuff of nylon so off to get a replacement now before it breaks up and wraps around somewhere critical like the crank pulley.

Thanks to all who contributed especially to Colin for his spot on diagnosis.

Sods law Mike but this is the 4th Battery in 9 years the last one that just failed was purchased from Lexus Derby with a 3 year warranty, I have every other receipt for the car but this one and I suspect it is still under warranty.

It may be lack of use causing the premature failures,car spends more time in the garage than on the road.

Lexus Derby must have a record of them selling you the Battery. Four batteries in 9 years seems excessive. Mike

Lexus Derby must have a record of them selling you the Battery. Four batteries in 9 years seems excessive. Mike

Yes I did send them an email and Sean the parts guy said they do have a record of the Battery being moved?? but no exact purchase date. I'm going to keep looking for the receipt it has to be somewhere as I tend to keep them all.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links