Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Group 1-3 Car Seat

Hi All,

I have had a search and couldn't anything (recent).

Can you recommend a group 1-3 seat for little Lenny?

I need one for the IS and one for the Aygo.

Looking for the best value seat, however I could be persuaded to spend more on a Recaro..

From Which?

Group 1/2/3 child car seats

There are many Group 1-2-3 seats available, which can be used from nine months all the way up to 12 years (9-36kg). These allow you to secure your baby in a five-point safety harness, then convert it to a booster seat when they reach 18kg (approximately four years old).
Generally, car seats designed to span more than two groups do not provide good levels of protection in all weight groups. Most of our Don't Buy child car seats are Group 1-2-3 seats.
You need to pay at least £200 to get a Best Buy Group 1-2-3 child car seat. Find out about our Best Buy Group 1-2-3 child car seats.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2375458.htm

I bought this group 1-3 for my son and its good value.. with adjustable straps and adjustable headrest aswell. doesnt take too much space at the back aswell. you can read others reviews on it and make up your mind. I personally think spending £200+ on a car seat is over kill. all these car seats have passed EU child safety tests in order for them to be sold by a well known company like ARGOS so why pay over the odds..so long as the car seat is securely installed as recommended by the manufacturer and a child is securely seated and strapped in, the rest is fate to be honest.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2375458.htm

I bought this group 1-3 for my son and its good value.. with adjustable straps and adjustable headrest aswell. doesnt take too much space at the back aswell. you can read others reviews on it and make up your mind. I personally think spending £200+ on a car seat is over kill. all these car seats have passed EU child safety tests in order for them to be sold by a well known company like ARGOS so why pay over the odds..so long as the car seat is securely installed as recommended by the manufacturer and a child is securely seated and strapped in, the rest is fate to be honest.

That is a pretty naive point of view. Just because one seats can pass a fairly low speed test doesn't mean others are no better.

This is the safety review of one of the worst performing seat, but still fully legal - I know I wouldn't be putting my children in it

We've made this seat a Don't Buy for several reasons. First, because in Group 3 mode, used when your child is around six years old up until 12 years of age (or 135cm tall) the manufacturer recommends removing the protective backrest and using the seat as a booster cushion only.

A child car seat is designed to absorb the forces of a car crash away from your child's under-developed bones and body, which aren't up to withstanding them. Currently, this seat is legal to use in the UK because the R44.04 regulation doesn't require a side-crash test to be conducted as part of the approval process. Removing the back rest on a child car seat removes any protection your child could have in the event of a side-impact crash. In this mode, the total test score in our test is 0% because the crash test results are very poor and there is a very high risk of injury - even if your car has side airbags.

Using the car seat in a Group 2 format results in a test score of 35% - this falls below our 40% Don't Buy cut-off point. While the crash test results are better in this mode (three stars for front impact and four stars for side-impact crashes), the car seat is too narrow for older children, it's not easy to adjust the size of the seat and the way the seat belt is held means the inertia lock of the seat belt doesn't work properly - which could reduce the crash protection.

When used in its Group 1 format the seat isn't great, but it gains an acceptable overall score of 53% with a good overall safety rating of four stars. This seat works best for younger children, but because of the poor results when used as a Group 2 seat and the very poor results in Group 3 mode we cannot recommend this seat.

i think you mis understood my point Colin. didn't say higher priced car seats are no better. i said they they are 'over kill'. a £200+ child car seat does not guarantee a child will walk away uninjured from all types of road collisions or accidents neither does the one which cost £40. fact that the £200 seat was say tested to be able to absord a side impact from a 1500kg family saloon travelling at say 50mph does not meant it would absorb the same impact from a 5000kg truck impact at 40mph...can you see my point here? is like saying fact that a car has been awarded 5 star ncap rating makes it bullet proof to all occupants in all accidental collision with all types of vehicles on the road. there is a legal required safety test which all child seats need to pass in order for them to be sold to members of the public in UK/Europe.

some things our just out of our control in life and we all risk our's and our kids lives once we get into a vehicle be it if its ncap rated 1 star or 5 stars and i tend to place more emphasize on driving that extra careful being that extra vigilant on oncoming cars both at roundabouts, in front or behind when i have my family in the car with me so a 5 star rated child seat will not guarantee 100% safety in all road conditions/collisions since the type of vehicle which collides into another and speed at which that vehicle was travelling at plays a significant part same applies to 5 star rated vehicles.