Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Perspective Buyer With A Few Questions

Hi all,

I've been taking a serious look at the IS 300h F-Sport for my next car, and I have a couple of questions for owners and Lexus enthusiasts, having never owned one before.

1) For those of you with F-Sport cars, did you plump for AVS? If so, does it soften up the ride a little in normal mode, and then sharpen it up in sport mode? Would you recommend this option, as the standard dampers are a little firm for normal running from what I hear.

2) How well does the leather hold up in these cars? The seats feel very nice quality. I ask because I may well opt for a 9 - 18 month old used car to kill the depreciation - most are very low mileage, but one of the cars I saw on the Lexus used page had very poor looking seats for a car under 2 years old.

3) How much functionality does the Premium Nav system pull 'over the air' - I.E: does it automatically update things like speed cameras, maps and traffic?

4) The infotainment system seems to get a bad write up by many, with slow responses and a slightly dated interface. Is this something Lexus may improve with firmware updates, or is it currently "as good as it gets"?

5) Lastly, how receptive are the dealerships when it comes to searching for used cars across the Lexus dealer network? The website is poor for searching for cars with specific options. I think I'd be looking for an F-Sport with Premium Nav, Rose Leather seats, AVS and Mark Levinson audio - probably a bit more limited in choice with those options.

Thanks!

Craig

1 - AVS does make a difference having driven both. Its not hugely noticeable but it does soften the ride up in normal mode but actually stiffens it up further in sport mode

2 - All the ones ive been to see have 10-20k miles on them and seats were fine. They are slightly wrinkled on the bolster closest to the door and thats because people tend to sit on those bolsters first and then shuffle across. I cant say they are worse than any other car though, in fact they wear quite well compared to real leather

3 - Navigation does nothing over the air apart from traffic predictions. Updates to the infotainment software can be done via USB stick but the maps need to be updated by dealers. If I were you i'd get 3 updates agreed when buying as they charge a good £150 for each update

4 - As mentioned before, updates are coming out and can be done by USB so it will improve. Most have found a stable version and are happy with it overall although there are some bits which play up.

5 - Dealers will NOT look for any cars which are not in their respective groups. They will however, try and find one from Lexus HQ if they can. You will struggle to find one with those options in all honesty. Mark Levinson is only available on perhaps 10% of the used F-Sport market. Add AVS and you're looking at possibly 1%. Ultimately, itll come down to what you prefer most. Of course, if you're buying new you could get all of those options.

Something to sweeten the price on a new one. DRIVETHEDEAL.COM will do the exact spec you require for £32,671.47. This is a £6k saving over new but includes a £1.5k discount if taking PCP. If you decide you want a new one, take the finance out and then pay the full price after 14 days. You'll have to pay 3 months of interest but thats nothing compared to the £1500 discount.

1 - Personally I find the standard F Sport a little too firm for my liking. The Premier model on 18" wheels is better so it is the springs rather than the low profile tyres. Given the choice I'd get AVS to soften it up a little, I just couldn't find one fitted with that option when I got mine.

2 - Seats are fine, although I do wonder how well they will be in 3+ years. Certainly on the F Sport I cannot get out of the vehicle without my leg going across the bolster on the base of the seat and putting a lot of weight on it. My leather has slight creasing but nothing too bad at the moment.

The perforated leather needs to be looked after - you could get something caught in a hole and tear the leather.

3 - Live traffic and live parking info only. You don't get map/POI/speed camera updates unless you purchase a new SD card from Lexus for a ridiculous amount of money.

4 - Updates seems to come out every 6 months, really only to fix bugs. The UI is what it is, don't expect it to be updated.

5 - you will just have to do a bit of work on the Lexus website - look at the photos. If you select F Sport and do a search, then scroll down to the bottom of the results you can add extra options to narrow the search - selecting red interior narrows things down to 23 currently available. Further selecting Nav brought back only 13. However trying to find AVS is very difficult as you need a good picture of the mode dial to see if Sport S+ is written rather than just Sport

Hi Craig, I have all but one of the options you want (Mark Levinson), here are my answers to your questions

1. AVS makes a big difference, it softens up the normal ride ( ECO, Normal, Sport mode) to almost standard levels, but then gives a stiffer ride in Sport+. It is noticeable even on the motorway, going over catseyes, the car responds with a thud, its too fidgety for my likening for any kind of long distance. But normally, the car rides very well in my opinion even on the rubber band tyres. I couldn't find a test car with AVS to try and bought it blind, as a "well it couldn't be worse than a std car could it?" thought. Very happy.

2. I'll put some pics up of my Rose Leather seats later, but after 19.5k miles in 8mths, they are holding up well, no where near as bad as those other pics. Worst bit is there is a bit of die transfer from Jeans, but I'm doing what i can to keep that down. Some creasing on the bolster as people have already said as there isn't really a way of getting in and out without scuffing across them. Also a weird triangular 3 hole marking at shoulder blade level, where the vented seat blower is! I'll put up some pics later today. Best bit is the proper leathery smell if it has been sitting in the sun for a day.

3&4. The Nav system is IMO down to personal preference. Now I'm use to it, it is fine and the mouse controller is fine too. I don't think the graphics look too out of date, I think they are pretty clear to read most of the time (was in a friends Merc with full Command, little cars drawn on road showing traffic, other colours and navigation system with knob, looked old fashioned to me now). Some of the features are good, some could be better, I've had 3 Firmware upgrades (vers D to F) already and Vers G is out now, so Lexus are responding to fix issues, but the design is as it is. Other manufacturers are having issues to, just go and have a look at the BMW or Audi or Merc forums, they also have issues with phone compatibility, connected services and cost of map updates etc.

5. Can't comment on that, as mine was bought new and as a company car, but my dealer experience has been OK so far.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far - very helpful!

So, it sounds like the Sport+ mode with AVS is a firmer ride than the F-Sport standard ride then? Not that it's a bad thing, if you're planning on a bit of spirited driving on the B roads... :-)

Yes Sport+ is a little firmer, it also reduces body roll by dynamically stiffening up the loaded corner. The real question is in normal mode is it softer than a standard F Sport - people that have tried both say yes (marginally).

Pics of my Rose Leather seats - 19.5K miles in 8mths.

I'm not sure how the other thread of the damaged seat/seatbelt can happen, as my belt hangs naturally away from the seat.

post-49267-0-78104500-1428315536_thumb.j

post-49267-0-40366700-1428315539_thumb.j

post-49267-0-64858000-1428315541_thumb.j

post-49267-0-53237000-1428315544_thumb.j

post-49267-0-36623500-1428315546_thumb.j

post-49267-0-43017900-1428315548_thumb.j

Pics of my Rose Leather seats - 19.5K miles in 8mths.

I'm not sure how the other thread of the damaged seat/seatbelt can happen, as my belt hangs naturally away from the seat.

Worn pretty well IMO.

I think the triangle shaped dots are the seat heaters or possibly ventilators

This is a really nice car... just on a 1 day test drive courtesy of Lexus Reading.

A polar white f-Sport with AVS and Mark Levinson, 2 options I didn't think I'd be able to test.

I'm really impressed with how smooth it is, and all the different gadgets (I'm a tech head, so could spend a chunk of time just fiddling with things).

I really like the ride, and it firms up nicely in sport mode.

Can someone explain the difference between sport and sport+? (I assume just an even firmer ride)

Either way, it's a very impressive piece of kit so far.

Straight from the manual. Suspension is only firmer in Sport+, also stiffens steering. AVS does work all the time though to manage ride comfort and roll.

Sport mode
• SPORT S mode
Assists acceleration response by controlling the hybrid system. Suitable
for when powerful acceleration is desirable.
When not in SPORT S mode and the driving mode select switch is turned
to the right, the “SPORT S” indicator comes on, and the hybrid system
indicator changes to the tachometer. (P. 110)
• SPORT S+ mode
Helps to ensure steering performance and driving stability by simultaneously
controlling the steering and suspension in addition to the
hybrid system. Suitable for sporty driving.
When in SPORT S mode and the driving mode select switch is turned to the
right, the “SPORT S+” indicator comes on.
Make sure you try out the ASC (Active Sound Control) is both fully on in Sport/Sport+ and off in Normal/Eco to see the difference between growly noise and quiet relaxed comfort!

I must admit, I dialed up the ASC and then dialed it down again. I quite like NOT having a growly engine noise!

(I do have a fat V8 TVR Chimaera for when I feel noisy :whistling: )

Oh, and those reviewers who moan about the petrol revving and wailing when booting it - are they nuts? This is a seriously quiet car, and the lack of gear changes makes wafting around a real joy.

• Like 1

When I first got my IS and I was stationary without the engine running I could hear a faint hum noise, almost like white noise which I thought was coming from the stereo - turns out it was the ASC, turned it off and will never turn it on again.

Something to sweeten the price on a new one. DRIVETHEDEAL.COM will do the exact spec you require for £32,671.47. This is a £6k saving over new but includes a £1.5k discount if taking PCP. If you decide you want a new one, take the finance out and then pay the full price after 14 days. You'll have to pay 3 months of interest but thats nothing compared to the £1500 discount.

Looks like Drive The Deal have stopped offering Lexus cars...

Looks like Drive The Deal have stopped offering Lexus cars...

Yep. There's still broadspeed, buyacar, autoebid etc though

...and carwow. When I was looking they get close to the drivethedeal price.

Tried them a week ago - only £3k off a fully loaded one F-Sport im afraid. Works out £2k more expensive than drive the deal was!

I wonder if 'normal' dealers complaining to Lexus about lossing customers to drive the deal is the reason the good deals are gone??

We got 15% (£6.5k) off the list price on our Premeier through drive the deal, dealer even threw in the mats + umbrella, and treated us like any other 'normal' customer when we went to pick up....Wouldn't think twice about using drive the deal again :)

I wonder if 'normal' dealers complaining to Lexus about lossing customers to drive the deal is the reason the good deals are gone??

We got 15% (£6.5k) off the list price on our Premeier through drive the deal, dealer even threw in the Mats + umbrella, and treated us like any other 'normal' customer when we went to pick up....Wouldn't think twice about using drive the deal again :)

Perhaps. But then the dealer is obviously being more proactive in their selling technique and reaching a wide audience so maybe they should be rewarded with more sales compared to "normal" dealers. At the end of the day, Lexus is still selling cars so I dont see why its a problem.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links