Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello guys new to the owners club but owned ls400s over the last 5 years.

Currently driving a mk4 vvti ls400 1998 and it has the dreading ecu problem of dropping revs no cruise control sluggish performance and gear changes and unable to detect fault finder. Looking at the site and from info I have gathered it's to do with capacitors in the ecu? Or something like that and that you can buy a kit to sort this out?

I really need some help as when it comes to this side of things on the car I'm more than useless, is there anyone out there that offers the service of fixing this issue or can point me in the direction of someone who can ?

Thanks Rich

I've looked at all the other forums and capacitor issues mine has the following symptoms drops revs but doesn't cut out won't pick up fault finder on OBD, gear shift slow and snappy changes gear at 5000 revs flat out won't go any higher cruise control doesn't work display shows check engine check traction control, sometimes she will drive fine sometimes a complete nightmare

Do you know anywhere I could take it ? Or buy a replacement ecu

Thanks

I have a 98 mk4 and have tried to cure the low idle , cleaning throttle body ect and after much reading also came to the conclusion that the capacitors needed doing in the ecu , my car also won't connect to OBD reader tried two , and I get traction control lamp warning occasionaly which resets every time ignition is switched off. These faults are all listed as ecu capacitor symptoms . There was a chap on here doing kits who I contacted and was getting some more and was going to contact me , but I never heard anything .

I think if you get the ecu out and obtain the capacitors it could be easy job for a tv repairman ect someone with good soldering skills and knowledge of circuit boards .

I've just looked up my old thread on here and it's actualy Steve 2006 who was doing the kits , a moderator who has just posted above me , I've messaged him about the kits and he will probably reply to us on here now . I've lived with the problems but it would be nice to fit the capacitors and see if any of the problems are fixed and report back on here .

Edited by Woods4900

Steve 2006 is the font of all knowledge with getting the correct type and quality capacitors .......... pm him on here I would suggest

Malc

I'm in Farnborough. I bought a complete set of 2nd hand ECU's, but my electrical problem was diagnosed as a badly installed replacement windscreen!

If you wanted to swap out your unit to see if things improve, PM me.

• Like 1

Still stuck with this one guys cars barely drive able soon as I drive a couple of foot engine warning and vsc warning and is in complete limp mode revs drop constantly when driving is there anyone able to help me sort the ecu out been to garages and they can't get a read out and want to charge me an arm an a leg for taking the car apart

I'd be interested in a kit, I did look into it as a preventative measure a while ago but never got any further. I looked at buying in bulk as it was a lot cheaper, but then it would be best if several people wanted a 'kit'. I think some of the caps I looked at were out of stock too which made me give up as I wanted the best ones. If i get time soon i'll have another look.

Wonder if anyone on here could solder them up for us??

Anyone know if the ECUs are interchangable between the same models - e.g. a 1998 mk4 and a 1999 mk4? Or are they coded to the car?

"Steve 2006 is the font of all knowledge with getting the correct type and quality capacitors .......... pm him on here I would suggest"

Then you need to find a good old school tv or computer repair guy who can solder, and take the caps and your ECU to him. Getting the ECU out is a bit tricky too....