Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What A Great Car - Apart From A Little Rust!

As the sun made an appearance in my neck of the woods today I decided to get the LS from the back of garage from her winter hibernation! The winter ‘hacks’ can take a rest for a while! Heading into pick up my better half (her words!) from work, sunroof open, stereo on, arm on the door, I reminded myself just how great these cars are. It is such a great all rounder – ultimate cruiser, ‘sufficient’ power on tap, road presence, fantastic! You can tell a lot of money was spent on quality control as she feels as solid as the day she was built, almost twenty years ago.

One flaw that has reared its head again for me is some tiny rust patches under the chrome strip on the offside rear door. I believe this is caused by the clips that hold the chrome moulding. Although very small, I am going to have this sorted when she goes for a full body respray as she has some stone chips at the front as well – someone with OCD once said to me “you are being a bit picky, aren’t you?”! Having had this ‘sorted’ once before, has anyone found a long term cure for this, maybe modified clips or tips on how they should be fitted? It is strange it is on one one of the doors but I am not complaining about that!

• Like 1

I have had the same problem on the offside rear door on one on my cars.

I put some masking tape on the chrome strip and on the paintwork below, then used a thin needle file to remove as much rust under the trim as I could.

I finished off with a squirt of rustproofing fluid from an aerosol can with a thin tube attached to it (like the ones you get with cans of WD40).

If the rust is not just under the chrome strip but has spread to the top of the paintwork on the outer skin of the door, as it had on mine, it is best to remove the rust here, use a rust killing primer and then touch this in with topcoat before using the aerosol.

I am not sure it is caused by vinegar-based window cleaners, at least in my case. After I got the door fixed a few years ago I got the car detailed and the body and all the windows were treated with Gtechniq. There has not been any other products used on the outside of car other than snow foam and water since. I wonder if it is just a strange design flaw - just about the only one I can think of on the LS!

When I eventually get the car in to get fixed and resprayed I'll get a good look at the stripped door and see if I can figure out what caused it.

• 3 months later...

..... you mention having a full body respray ......... I would think very carefully about this if it was my car !!! ........... the Lexus factory finish will be almost impossible to replicate.

I would be inclined to localise any simple tiny paint repairs only. If your existing paintwork isn't good then it might have already had paint repairs done which haven't been done to exacting standards.

My 1995 Ls400 has original paintwork and still polishes up mostly like a virgin from the showroom ( now at about 177k miles and not garaged at all )

Malc

I concur with Malcolm on the paint job ,apart from the fact the removal of garnishes does more harm than good they never go back on as a factory fit and will look bad afterwards.If the respray is attempted with them masked up the paint job will look very bad.To do a proper job on the doors the plastic lower panels should really be removed.

The depth of paint required for the lustre that is there now cannot be achieved with a respray or any amount of polishing.

I concur with Malcolm on the paint job ,apart from the fact the removal of garnishes does more harm than good

Personally I like to remove my garnishes, as I find that Seagull poo being lime Sand and Chip Fat just doesn't improve the surface of my paintwork.