Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

08 Is 220D Bonnet Won't Close - Help!

Hello, new here! and already need some help with my 2008 is 220d.

I opened the bonnet yesterday to top up the screen washing fluid as error on the dash was annoying me. When i was done, I tried to shut the bonnet but it would'nt shut, it stays open I can see a gap but it does lock to the point where you physically need to pull a lever to lift up the bonnet, but it wouldnt completely close. I tried a couple of times pushed it, and slamed it as well to see if it works but no joy.

Lever inside the car is fine, nothing seems to be wrong with the cable. Any ideas??!?

Hi,

They're two rubber stand under the bonnet that can be adjusted to allow the bonnet to sit better. You can try lowering these to see if that allows the bonnet to shut. These are normally at the front of the engine bay towards the corner's.

Thanks,

OK so tried both techniques, applied WD40 on the catch and tried lowering those side plastic bits at the top of the bonnet as well. none of them worked and my bonnet is still not locked properly. There is a string attached to the lever inside the car which seems very tight and it pulls nicely when lever is pulled, so nothing wrong with the cable/string attached at both ends. I tried lubricating the mechanism with WD40 spray, left it for a bit tried again and still no joy. I cant even drive the damn thing like this. Need more ideas before I pay my local garage a visit and end up paying alot of money for something very minor!

If the usual simple tricks don't work to fix it I'd strongly suggest having a professional look at it. If it fails when you're driving you can easily write off the vehicle or worse.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links