Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Washer - One For The Scientists/technos?

Possibly answered elsewhere, apologies if so... My windscreen washer only seems to work on the passenger side. It's weak, but it hits mid screen no problems. On the driver's side it barely clears the wiper's resting position. It's the same pump providing a feed to both jets, so what could the issue be? Surely the vacuum in the plumbing would be balanced, so both sides being the same strength/weakness? I've made sure the jets aren't blocked at the nozzles. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance for your time.

Is it possible the tube going to the drivers side has been dislodged?

Either becoming partially detached or the tube becoming crushed somehow and restricting flow?

Good calls. I've only had time to try the pin thing so far but it's made no diffs. I'll have a look at the plumbing under the bonnet insulation at the weekend. It's MoT time next month and I presume this will be a fail so I'll need to sort it pronto. Cheers for your time thus far.

• 4 weeks later...

It's getting more mysterious. The flow from the drivers nozzle is now virtually zero, so I removed all the bonnet insulation to get at the pipe work. That was a pain as the plastic popper things all snapped off so I need to try and find some more from somewhere. I disconnected all the tubing and it all blows through quite okay. I can even blow into the last bit of pipe and out of the nozzle itself. And when I don't connect the pipe to the nozzle and press the washer button, it squirts out the pipe no problem. But as soon as I reconnect it to the nozzle, zero.

Any ideas? I'm sure this will be an MoT fail and it's due in three weeks :-(

I've even thought of simply replacing the nozzles using the ones off my wife's sorned Nissan, as a final test. But after inserting a piece of plastic under the nozzle to release the catch, I can't lift it out any further for fear of doing damage. Why is nothing easy for what appears to be so simple a job??

Hi, I had the same problem with our 2000 is200. What I found was that over time black gunge accumulates in the washer bottle so this then travels up the washer pipe and collects behind the washer jets in the jet housings. So what you have to do is carefully remove the washer jets from the housings. Do this by using something small like a drill or I used an allen key that I ground down small enough to fit in to bore of the jet. Then move the allen key to the side of the housing and prise out in turn all 4 of the jets, clean them and be carefull not to lose them. Lift the wipers off the windscreen-press the washer button for a good while and this should blast this gunge out. When clear replace the jets and adjust the aim on to the windscreen. Might seem a bit long winded but hope this helps.

• Like 1

Well I've sorted it and the car passed its MoT! I pinched the nozzles from my wife's SORNed Nissan Almera, ground them down to fit through the holes in my Lexus bonnet, and swopped em for the colour matched blue ones on there. Full pressure achieved, so it's definitely something inside the jets as described by bullhorn. I can now take my time over unblocking the Lexus ones. Problem now is where to find some replacement plastic push fit studs to hold the bonnet insulation in place... Anyone know what they're actually called so I can google em?

Get in touch with Ricky Smith on the fb is200 group, he only breaks is200/300's so he should have some and also some working washer jets, although, you could ring Lexus and order and set of colour coded fans style ones for under £25!

11263984_1429885650663267_62411629003825

Get in touch with Ricky Smith on the fb is200 group, he only breaks is200/300's so he should have some and also some working washer jets, although, you could ring Lexus and order and set of colour coded fans style ones for under £25!

Not anymore you can't. Ricky bought all the remaining stock from Lexus/Toyota, and charges £50 a pair for them now.

Not anymore you can't. Ricky bought all the remaining stock from Lexus/Toyota, and charges £50 a pair for them now.

Monopoly.....

Think i got mine from Lexus Carlisle afew years back, if i remember they were around £22 posted, and thats colour coded too.

I'd pay in the region of £20-£25 for a pair already painted and ready to go, but I won't pay the £50 that's asked for them. So if they are still available, that's great, as I'd be up for a pair