Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has Anyone Managed To Get Classic Insurance With Agreed Value?

Hi guys,

Insurance time again. Comes around far too often for my liking. Anyway I currently have the car on a Admiral multicar policy but they won't do agreed value on it. My car is very low mileage and immaculate and I paid a lot for it as a result so I would like to insure it for what its worth rather than be shafted for thousands should the worse happen. It is 20 year old so you would think it qualified as a classic but I have just tried Footman James and after spending 20 minutes filling in pages of info they took 2 secs to say sorry no can do. I would rather not spend days filling in forms to get the same answer each time. So which companies have people successfully managed to get agreed value classic insurance?

Please don't say Adrian Flux I have had a bad experience with them and won't use them ever again.

I've got mine with Footman James this year, fully comprehensive and agreed value for £138.00 limited to 3000 miles a year but you can make adjustments to suit for extra premium.

There is no NCD with these policies so be careful not to lose it after 2 years.

I've just renewed my insurance this year with the AA. Not impressed to discover they value a 99 LS at £695. When I phoned to query this, the nice young lady said that was the market value. I asked what market she shopped at and I'd buy 10 at that price. She upped value to £2.5k, but this is not agreed value, so expect very little if the worst happens. Insurance is really just a 'donation' though.

I have agreed value on both my V8 minors through the NSRA policy with Classicline, but I feel we get ripped off with our daily drivers.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Classic car insurance is irrelevant on a Lexus as they are not classic cars in the true sense of the term.

Classic cars used to be cars that were 25 years old or over until Gordon Brown stuffed that when he became chancellor. The criteria now for cars exempt of tax and termed classic is manufactured pre 1971.

With regard to insurance I doubt that any company would offer rebuild costs in the case of an accident caused by the owner as the costs would be difficult to get underwritten .The premiums would be astronomical and not enough of them to make it viable for insurance companies to seek out.

The real trick is to use the car carefully make sure its someone else's fault if there is an accident then you can make them pay for the cars repair rather than accepting a low write off price.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links