Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Here's a new project I've recently started. As some of you may know, back in Summer 2013 I did a complete wrap project on my IS250. This included upgrading to 2012 facelifted F-Sport bumper, LED headlights, and LED side mirror turn signals. Here is a link to that project: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/83871-project-car-wrap-2012-f-sport-bumper-led-headlamps-and-turn-signal-mirrors/

I recently parked my car in a car park only to come back and find someone had hit the front corner of the bumper. Damage was only to the bumper corner and the headlight washer jet. The wrap survived it quite well but unfortunately the bumper had cracked in a few spots so it tore through the wrap. I've repaired the headlight washer jet and was considering just repairing and re-wrapping the bumper to keep costs down. But then I shopped around and realised that I could do this mod for under £500 and I could sell off most of the parts from the other bumper (FSport spoilers, grilles, emblems, fog lamps etc.) and recover a fair amount of money towards this project. So hence, couldn't resist this project.

The plan is to convert a 2014/15 3rd Generation IS F-Sport bumper to fit my 2nd Generation IS 250.

The 3rd Gen IS has two different bumper variants, the F-Sport and regular. I was after the F-Sport because of the grille and the air scoops on the front bumper.

I've got all the parts minus the rubber weather strip that sits between the bonnet and the grille. I've been quoted £35 for this. So far my spend has been just over £400. Once i get the weather strip, the build cost should be around the £450 mark.

Usually I post all the photos once a project is complete, but for this project i'll update the thread with progress when available.

Stay tuned for updates. :) and below are pics and details of progress so far.

The new bumper has the rear mounted flush type parking sensors. I like the style of these parking sensors compared to the ones I currently have. So I decided to test a theory with a spare sensor that I have. I cut-out the outer section to see if it fits into the PDC hole and if it still works. It works and fits perfectly. Below is a pic of the modified spare sensor. For the final install, I wont be using this stone chipped sensor, I'll use the actual ones from my car.

017_zpsztcq7yta.jpg

Below, I built a custom mount for the PDC sensor using existing parts.

018_zpsgmwx7u1k.jpg

And here is a pic of the sensor sitting perfectly in the hole (I'm looking for a white gasket to fit around it to seal it nicely too)

019_zpsyeewlmwj.jpg

Here's the bumper to be converted:

001_zpsjmsf1apx.jpg

002_zpstffejtyu.jpg

Here's the new grille

004_zpsez1otgtn.jpg

009_zpsxyngkiyn.jpg

011_zpsmlyrxj3s.jpg

Bumper bonded and stapled

006_zpss6mlsf0a.jpg

007_zps0kmpi1ww.jpg

005_zpsjrckozyo.jpg

008_zpscmkrzn7q.jpg

012_zps8db86o4f.jpg

Test fitting the complete grille:

010_zpsyjm1lhne.jpg

Test fitting on the car:

014_zpsypymlugd.jpg

Headlight washer jet installed, and custom parking sensor mount:

016_zpsfwurxyvv.jpg

That's all for now, stay tuned for updates :)

** UPDATE - Completed Photos ***

026_zpshdtmbogq.jpg

028_zps0nb6que0.jpg

027_zpsn77rkyep.jpg

030_zpszk92skoz.jpg

031_zpssuurnaqt.jpg

034_zps17qpfu4y.jpg

036_zpskgnzcffk.jpg

037_zpsf5hmeeyv.jpg

038_zpsjrpqfq2j.jpg

• Like 3

Good grief...tip my hat to you again my friend.

You sure are a guy on a mission...........and some!!!

:) Thanks Buddy. Stay tuned for updates. I'm hoping to have it complete within the next 2 weeks.
***Update***
The 3rd Generation F-Sport IS has LED fog lamps as an optional extra. These fogs lamps are damn expensive and practically impossibly to source second-hand at the moment. So i decided to buy the blank covers instead. This would mean no front fog lights. But seeing as I barely use the fogs, I dont really mind. However, seeing as the light control stalk has the front fog control, it would be silly that it doesnt operate anything. So i've come up with a solution. Here it is:
The new IS F Sport has 4 front PDC sensors, 2 on the bumper corners and 2 on the lower grille. The old IS only has only 2 PDC sensors. The holes for the PDC on the lower grille are rather large, approximately 30mm in diameter. So what i've decided to do is use the fog circuit to power custom built high power LED fog lights with a 30mm optical LED projector lens. I got this inspiration from the new lexus RC fog idea pictured below:
2015-lexus-rc-fog-light_zpsea99czer.jpg
Here's a pic of the optical lens.
I've tested it with the high power LED behind it, it magnifies the light output and looks good.
opitcal-led-lens_zpss929qkmq.jpg
Here's a pic where i just temporarily placed two 3W LED's in place to see how it might look. This pic is without the optical projector lens.
20150326051119_zpsgxfkxogp.jpg
I've ordered an aluminium casing to house the LED and provide heat dissipation. Once that arrives, I will attach the lens to the casing and seal it up.
Stay tuned for more updates :)
  • Like 1

:msn-oh: you got balls to do that.. and you know what you pulled it off...HATS OFF to ya.

Thanks mate. here are some more test fitting pics, it's just test fitting so the upper grille area hasn't been bolted to line it up.

20150403_172228_HDR_zpsccr5ke2l.jpg
20150403_172221_zpsywfadmal.jpg
20150403_172233_HDR_zps92t3nfjc.jpg
  • Like 2

so let me get this straight, you've not messed with any of the mounting points just cut away those parts of your old bumper and then just melted it into the new one.

i know thats me being a but blunt with it

because damn that looks imppressive and i imagine your going to get alot of looks everywhere you go with that.

and for a very reasonable price aswel considering how much a new oem bumper would be

cant wait to see the finished product

so let me get this straight, you've not messed with any of the mounting points just cut away those parts of your old bumper and then just melted it into the new one.

i know thats me being a but blunt with it

because damn that looks imppressive and i imagine your going to get alot of looks everywhere you go with that.

and for a very reasonable price aswel considering how much a new oem bumper would be

cant wait to see the finished product

Correct, i'm using the existing mounting points from the old bumper. This allows for perfect fitment around the headlights and the wheel arch lining.

The latest progress is that i'm sanding and filling at the moment. here is a pic of the latest progress:

20150505_195325_zpsoh4etkv1.jpg

Why oh why oh why? I can deal with rims but not this lol.

Each to their own i guess - id probably just get a 3rd gen IS instead of messing about with all that!

There's nothing wrong with 'personalizing' your car. Just the same as there's nothing wrong with leaving your car stock. 'Personalizing' is such a big fad at the moment and many car manufacturers are even tapping into this craze by offering personalization. Each to their own as you say :) If my car was working well, I had no reasons to change the car and i was spending money on a repair, I would personally choose to go for something different too, I wouldn't just change to a 3rd generation IS just because I like the front-end look. Look at it this way, for under £500 his getting one of a kind look without having to spend thousands changing the car he might already be happy with. Hats off to the guy for daring to do such mods, i personally wont have the balls to do such a thing and would just have to pay someone to do it.

I personally don't like the headlights on the 3rd gen IS, it looks strange and like goggles/fish eyes. I also don't understand why Lexus have put that ugly chrome headlight washer nozzle. It's a proper eyesore. The old design of the retracting washer jet covers is much better.

Looking great and really looking forward to the end result.

Why oh why oh why? I can deal with rims but not this lol.

Each to their own i guess - id probably just get a 3rd gen IS instead of messing about with all that!

I have to agree. You are obviously very skilled so hats off to you for that but it is a bit too 'Max Power' for my liking.

I have to agree. You are obviously very skilled so hats off to you for that but it is a bit too 'Max Power' for my liking.

I have to disagree and agree with james250 100% each to their own. I like it and think it's very innovative. Not like the aftermarket bumpers around that start sagging or have big gaps. I think this is very oem and looks nothing like an aftermarket kit. I think people who haven't got anything good to say should just really keep their thoughts to themselves considering its each to their own.

I think people who haven't got anything good to say should just really keep their thoughts to themselves considering its each to their own.

Possibly but the fact that it is being posted up on a public forum implies a level of feedback is expected or even desired, good or bad?

• Like 1

I think its over kill myself, the car is not a 2014 car, no amount of modding can change that but each to their own. I would rather put on some uprated suspension or something the meddling with bumpers.

the car is not a 2014 car, no amount of modding can change that

I don't think it's got anything to do with modding to make it look like a 2014 car. You recently got your wheels re-finished, does that mean you're trying to make your wheels look newer than they are rather than buying new wheels? no amount of painting them is gonna make them newer than buying a new set of wheels. It's just cosmetic enhancement that suits your tastes, exactly the same way with this mod which is just a custom bumper and no different from someone buying an aftermarket bumper or bodykit. It doesn't mean just because someone has an aftermarket bodykit/bumper they trying to make their car look newer than it is. I myself have a 2013 ISF, I like the style of the new grille and considering doing this mod on mine but trying to find a bodyshop willing to take it on. That doesn't mean i'm modding it to make it look like a 2014 3IS, I wouldn't want a 2014 3IS i'm quite happy with my 2013 ISF, but it doesn't mean I cannot customise and personalise.

• Like 1

I myself have a 2013 ISF, I like the style of the new grille and considering doing this mod on mine but trying to find a bodyshop willing to take it on

Andy......you aren't a million miles away....it'd be worth taking a drive down to Essex to see Ahmed's handy work in the flesh.You never know he may be able to point/advise/help.

On a personal note...I think what he has done is gob-smackingly admirable from just about every stand point. He is exhibiting a very considerable degree of skill and understanding. Take a read of his other posts where he has wrapped the whole car...it used to be silver. I'd never do any of this myself....but I think he's doing amazing stuff here and I'm enjoying seeing the fruits of his damned hard labour. Good on you Ahmed.

• Like 1

the car is not a 2014 car, no amount of modding can change that

I don't think it's got anything to do with modding to make it look like a 2014 car. You recently got your wheels re-finished, does that mean you're trying to make your wheels look newer than they are rather than buying new wheels? no amount of painting them is gonna make them newer than buying a new set of wheels. It's just cosmetic enhancement that suits your tastes, exactly the same way with this mod which is just a custom bumper and no different from someone buying an aftermarket bumper or bodykit. It doesn't mean just because someone has an aftermarket bodykit/bumper they trying to make their car look newer than it is. I myself have a 2013 ISF, I like the style of the new grille and considering doing this mod on mine but trying to find a bodyshop willing to take it on. That doesn't mean i'm modding it to make it look like a 2014 3IS, I wouldn't want a 2014 3IS i'm quite happy with my 2013 ISF, but it doesn't mean I cannot customise and personalise.

No one said that his work is not good. I agree the work is admirable and personally I would get someone to pay for it too. Having the wheels refinished is a completely different affair, they may have been corroded?

The problem with bodykits is it never looks OEM - it always adds a "ricer" look to any vehicle, the kind of Fast and Furious look, or the impression of a chav behind the windscreen. Wheels are different as you can make them look pretty close to OEM.

From a cost POV, its not £500 though is it - thats just material cost. You have to add time and effort and income lost from taking the work on in the first place. Itd be closer to £2k taking everything into account including the value lost by putting all the bits on - no one really wants a modded car unless its chipped or a show car.

Also maybe its just me but the fender doesnt curve round as much from the front in this picture:

20150403_172221_zpsywfadmal.jpg

Being the perfectionist that I am, that'd drive me nuts!

Having the wheels refinished is a completely different affair, they may have been corroded?

Not a complete different affair because this is the exact reason he embarked on this project because his old bumper had been damaged, so instead of replacing like for like his venturing out. If alloys are damaged and corroded, why not re-finish them as they are? re-finishing them different style could just as easily be the same as toffee_pie said modding to be something it's not. The wheels are not origianlly like that so you're making them look different to what they originally were.

The problem with bodykits is it never looks OEM - it always adds a "ricer" look to any vehicle, the kind of Fast and Furious look, or the impression of a chav behind the windscreen. Wheels are different as you can make them look pretty close to OEM.

Exactly why if it was a bodykit it wouldnt be to my taste, I have the exact view on aftermarket bodykits they just dont fit right. But this isnt an aftermarket bodykit is it. Actually if you look at all the mods on his car, they all use OEM parts. You're saying wheels are different as you can make them look close to OEM. isnt that exactly it, making something look like something it's not? plus this mod i'm sure once complete will fit just as well as OEM fitment. From the looks of it all the mounting points has been retained.

From a cost POV, its not £500 though is it - thats just material cost. You have to add time and effort and income lost from taking the work on in the first place. Itd be closer to £2k taking everything into account including the value lost by putting all the bits on - no one really wants a modded car unless its chipped or a show car.

Considering his been around since 2007 and owned his lexus since then, i doubt he cares about the value of the car. It's probably working well for him and his just refreshing it with the skills he has. Afterall, if its going to de-value, might as well see it through to the end. Worst case sceneario, he could put it back to stock and sell all mod parts on to make extra money. I've seen those LED headlights sell for over £700 for the pair a few times on eBay, so the demand is there. He could probably get a stock bumper and put it all back together and make a good amount of money on the 3IS bumper if he wanted to sell it on.

Also maybe its just me but the fender doesnt curve round as much from the front in this picture:

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the end product looks, very hard to say based on early photos. But looking at an actual 3IS pic below, the fender line curve does get faded out anyway on the OEM bumper. Maybe that's what he is doing with his?

Lexus_IS_300h_F_Sport_(III)_%E2%80%93_Fr

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links